Scanning XP2

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Just had another roll of xp2 back, when I scan it the negative is showing up all white, so I scanned another negative from a different roll and thats fine. but the new roll has been developed properly and the negatives look fine. any ideas? im using the v500.

Just had another roll of xp2 back, when I scan it the negative is showing up all white, so I scanned another negative from a different roll and thats fine. but the new roll has been developed properly and the negatives look fine. any ideas? im using the v500.

erm odd, did you try again and get the same results?

What software are you using, guessing you may have changed something between scanning b+w and XP2.

Best thing to do is to never use XP2 again and stick to proper b+w film ;)

dunno whats happening, scanned some different xp2 and its fine, well it was the only black and white film I had left before I restocked this morning!

Is it all the frames?

I never have a problem with XP2 it develops and scans just fine..... Who developed it?

Whole lot, its all White and you can only see the sprocket holes. The negatives themselves are fine that's what is so strange!

The only time I ever have a problem scanning with my V500 is sometimes it doesn't seem to 'see' the negs fully, if you go into 'pro' mode and put your own marquee on them it works perfectly.

The only time I ever have a problem scanning with my V500 is sometimes it doesn't seem to 'see' the negs fully, if you go into 'pro' mode and put your own marquee on them it works perfectly.

I know what you mean, but all I get is a White strip and just the sprocket holes. Ah well I think I'll go back to doing my own.

How come you can see the sprocket holes? You don't see them on mine. The mount covers them fully.

Scanned them with out the holder as I thought that might be the problem.

I had some medium format that scanned like that but the neg's were black as an ousel. A bit of contrast/brightness got a better image back than I thought I'd get though.

Is the film lead in white? Also have you tried auto instead of pro mode? Thumb nail and non thumb nail?

Scanned them with out the holder as I thought that might be the problem.
Now we are getting the full story. If the film is not flat down on the glass, light could get under the neg. USE A NEG HOLDER :bonk:

Scanned with the neg holder same result, I always use the holder with 35mm

Clutching at straws now, but have you tried the film face up and face down? I doubt it'd make a blind bit of difference, of course, but might be worth a try.

@BY tried that, right here is what im getting on the left is the other roll and on the right is the mystery roll

DSC_0341 by walsh0222, on Flickr

Also scraping the barrel for an answer ;).....You have it set for 48bit color erm but you should still get something.

Last edited:
Any chance you can take the same picture but put a piece of each roll up against the screen too? (along the white strips)

Two possibles spring to mind here, the first is that there are small holes in the end of the carrier which must act as some sort of reference for the scanner, make sure the tail of the strip is not covering these. Second, sounds obvious, but is the carrier mounted in the correct direction, ie two strips on the light?

There are no spaces between the frames even in that picture, but is the black space at the top the film leader?

Flipping the film makes no difference, you just get back to front scans, but there is something very odd going on for it to not show up at all. It looks exactly like the surrounding neg carrier which is entirely opaque, but if there is an image there which can be seen then it obviously isn't opaque :bang:

The only thing I can think of is to try it on another scanner, and see what happens. If it fails on another scanner then something has happened to the film. If it scans ok on another scanner then it's the scanner/software. If you don't have access to another scanner and want me to have a go with my v700 I don't mind (y)

PS. if the 500 is anything like my 700 then there are white squares on the carrier which act as the reference points for the scanner, but it still scans with them covered

Last edited:
On my scanner, a v500, if the reference holes are obscured, I get really dim poor scans, but I still get an image.

From the screenshot, I'd try grayscale and not 48bit colour, and I'd try setting to display thumbnails instead of drawing the boxes for scanning. Only as a test at least.

thanks for the replies guys, tried just about everything different places in the scanner and various settings etc. going to bring it into the camera shop to see if they can scan it.

Just so I'm understanding things correctly, you've had no problems with other rolls of XP2 or are they other film stocks? [confused]

Last edited:
Just so I'm understanding things correctly, you've had no problems with other rolls of XP2 or are they other film stocks? [confused]

nope, sent two rolls of xp2 off, same expiry date. came back all looked good but one roll just wont scan.

nope, sent two rolls of xp2 off, same expiry date. came back all looked good but one roll just wont scan.

Don't die or emigrate to Siberia as we want to know the answer ;)

Last edited:
Back