Scarecrow's 52 - Week 13/52 - Old Sea Dog

Name
Derek
Edit My Images
Yes
I get the impression from a lot of the existing threads that there are a lot of you on the same week and shooting a common theme each week.

As a latecomer, I thought I would use the principle of a 52 to ensure that I keep using my camera, rather than try and join in with everyone else. Hopefully this will prevent me from having alternating bouts of taking photos and then allowing the camera to reside in the back of the cupboard for weeks at a time.

All I need to do now is get out there and take my first photo for the project to get off the ground.

Last edited:
good for you, you can still use the same theme as the rest of us if you like.

Go on - get the camera out and join in.

It's a personal challenge so you can do whatever you want, but just because you're late starting don't feel that you can't use the group themes.

If you fancy shooting to the group themes, Simon posts each week's theme in the "competitions" section (usually on a Sunday night)
This week we've landed out of context . . . so doing your own thing might not be such a bad idea ;)

I look forward to seeing your first 52 shot, whatever it is.

Last edited:
Thanks for the encouragement guys. I thought this was going to be fairly easy, but have realised that you have to be fairly disciplined to take a photo each week; goodness knows how the 365 guys manage!

Am working nights at the moment, so unless any other inspiration comes along, I think my first shot is going to be some sort of after dark photograph.

My first '52' photo.

Inspired by the fact that on the modern railway, all the old single-manned lever frame signal boxes are slowly being phased out in favour of big power control centres. As a result, the old school signal men are slowly being replaced by screen watchers and button pushers.

Week01.jpg

Somehow I managed to overlook this (and after encouraging you to post too :bang: . . . sorry!)

Interesting shot.
The processing and slight softness actually suits it. It gives it a nice aged / old fashioned look that suits the subject matter really well. I bet there aren't many boxes like that still around.

It's a shame that you ended up with your shadow across the right third of the photo though.

Tis a shame about the shadow but I also like the processing of the shot. Look forward to next weeks picture.

The 'shadow' was actually deliberate. The idea was that this breed of signalbox and indeed signalman are slowly disappearing. I wanted to include a 'ghost' of a signalman to signify that he is fading in to the mists of time, and in the very near future will have disappeared altogether to become just a memory.

I obviously failed. Doh! :bonk:

No you didn't -- that was how I read it! Didn't have time to post at the time, though.

Thanks for all the comments guys - all of them provide something I can learn from. Running out of time for this week's photo. I know what I want to do, but I'm struggling to execute it at the moment.

Well here we are with my week 2 photo. It's not the image I had planned, but I am still looking for the right location to bring that one to fruition.

It's a simple image, but hopefully thought provoking, given the title.

Week02.jpg

Last edited:
The 'shadow' was actually deliberate. The idea was that this breed of signalbox and indeed signalman are slowly disappearing. I wanted to include a 'ghost' of a signalman to signify that he is fading in to the mists of time, and in the very near future will have disappeared altogether to become just a memory.

I obviously failed. Doh! :bonk:

:bonk: :bonk: :bonk: No it's me. Now that you've explained it I can see it really clearly.
Perhaps if it was just a touch less subtle . . . now it's not often you hear me asking for a photo to be less subtle :LOL:

Your second shot is nice and simple and great lighting on the bull.
I love the way that the grill is fading out to the right of the shot . . . I guess that's where your title comes in.

Looking forward to seeing what you have planned for next week.

Excellent work on the first image... I really like the feel to this one and the shadow helps with the idea.

2... defo a dream ;)... well done, good use of DOF, and spot on in the right place

Oh dear, I'm only 3 weeks in and I'm struggling for ideas. I'm really impressed by the 365 guys!

I've always been interested in close up photography, but haven't really mastered it. At some point I really must sit down and pay a little more attention to what I am using and how I use it. In the hope that I can improve this aspect of my photography, this week's offering is really to serve as a benchmark, so that I can come back later in the year and have something to compare against.

Week03.jpg

Last edited:
Two very contrasting photos there. As you say, one close up and one far away.

I like both.
I can't say I like the subject matter of the fly much ;) but it's a good capture. Lovely colours caught in his wings.
I'd say that you're pretty good at this close up stuff already (y)

The moon : I never get tired at looking at all the great moon shots on here. well done!

Very good shot of the fly, sharp and colourful. Stunning Moon... I'm beginning to feel Aperture fever setting in :LOL:...

Thankyou for the kind comments guys.

Having just returned from a long weekend in Valencia to see the MotoGP, I thought it only right that this week's offering should be of the 2009 MotoGP Champion - Valentino Rossi.

Week05.jpg

:clap: nicely done and good shot (y)

Valentino shot, wow, that's pro standard :clap: The focus is bang on in that shot. Nicely done (y)

Thank you for the kind comments guys.

Having been a way a while ago, and just getting back to work, I'm already starting to get behind with my photographs, and I'm only 6 weeks in!! :(

Anyway, here's my offering for my Week06 photo - Gary Lightbody, lead singer of Snow Patrol, taken at the Royal ALbert Hall.

Week06.jpg

I was a little late posting last week's effort, and I was feeling low on inspiration to come up with this week's photo.

So this week isn't very original, but I am happy because I believe that if you have a good subject, it shouldn't be too difficult to produce a half decent image.

Week07.jpg

I really like the Lightbody shot -- excellent lighting and sharpness. Well done (y). Did you need to get a permit for it?

The car detail is great. It looks as if it is screaming or about to attack -- not a pedestrian, I hope LOL!

Good work :clap:

No, I was just lucky to be sitting in an aisle seat a few rows back, and when everyone was up and enjoying themselves, I took the opportunity to sneak down the front to grab a couple of shots.

Messing about indoors on a cold, grey day, and fished out some old lenses I used to use in my film days. Quite surprised that, with an adapter to fit my Eos, some of them are still capable of producing acceptable results.

This one was taken with an old Tamron 80-210mm.

Week08.jpg

You wanna be careful... that cat is not amused :D... Very good, sharp, and the colours in the eyes really leap out from amid all that white. Really liking the previous too also. The thing to watch for with the old lenses, is bright lighting... I always get a weird colour splotch centre shot in bright lighting with my old film lenses (non coated I think).

Thanks John. Actually she was half asleep, but I agree, it does mean that she doesn't look happy, which is why I used this shot rather than any of the others I took at the same time where she had her eyes fully open.

Took a photo for my 52 recently, and discovered it was a week early. Don't know where the intervening time has gone as I now found I am a couple of weeks behind. Oh dear.

Anyway, here is my week 9 offering, with 2 more weeks to come in short order so that I can catch up.

Week09.jpg

Another photo to reduce the backlog deficit. I think it would be a shame to go through the Christmas season without at least one photograph of a Christmas cactus, so here's mine.

Week10.jpg

Last edited:
NSFW If you look too closely!

Getting a little ahead of myself by a day or so, but I'm on a roll at the moment.

Week12.jpg

Last edited:
I did not see that at first. Very different and well done (y)

My personal 52 is still ongoing, despite volunteering to join in with the themed 2010 52 that others will be doing this year too. No excuses to not get out there with the camera now.

Week13.jpg

Back