Scary or What? ....PayPal e-mail

Name
Gillian
Edit My Images
Yes
Just received this e-mail from 'paypal':-:shake:

PayPal Resolution Center: Your account is limited.
(Your case ID for this reason is PP-0064310.)

PayPal is constantly working to ensure security by regularly screening
the
accounts in our system. We recently reviewed your account, and we
need more information to help us provide you with secure service. Until
we
can collect this information, your access to sensitive account
features will be limited. We would like to restore your access as soon
as
possible, and we apologize for the inconvenience.

This is done for your protection only you, the recipient of this email
can
take the next step in the remove limitation process.

Why is my account access limited?

June 21, 2007: We have reason to believe that your account was accessed
by a
third party. Because protecting the security of your account
is our primary concern, we have limited access to sensitive PayPal
account
features. We understand that this may be an inconvenience but
please understand that this temporary limitation is for your
protection.

(Your case ID for this reason is PP-0064310.)

How can I restore my account access?

Please scan the following documents, attach them to your email and
forward
them to security@paypalfraudchecking.com

- Your credit/debit card statement or utility bill ( example: Phone
Bill, Electric Bill, etc....)
- A valid photo ID (example: Passport, Drivers License, etc...)

Completing all of the checklist items will automatically restore your
account
access.

Thank you for using PayPal!
The PayPal an eBay Company

-------------------------------------

Please do not reply to this email. This mailbox is not monitored and
you will
not receive a response. For assistance, log in to your PayPal
account and click the Help link located in the top right corner of any
PayPal
page.

PayPal Email ID PP-PP-0064310.

I couldn't find anything wrong with my account, so I rang them. The Guy at Paypal nearly choked...... "You didn't scan and send any documents, did you"? Err.... Noooo!

He then asked me to forward to spoof@paypal.com

Still, it did look authentic......:eek:

A good indication is Paypal will never address you as Dear Paypal Customer etc - they'll always address you by your user name. I get a fair few of these too.

poor english would be another one.

Has anyone ever received a legit email from Paypal?

Never click anything in an email. Use your own shortcut to the web site and if there really is a query it will be showing in your account details.

Looks like Paypal on are on case already, paypalfraudchecking.com is now re-directing to paypal.co.uk. Although in the original email it might have linked to a different email address...

Paypal will always use your full registered name whenever they send you a message, check the URL in the message to see where the message came from, check the urls carefully (if there are any) to see where they go - hold your mouse cursor over a url that says www.paypal.com and you might see it goes to some strange Russian site somewhere. As Robert says, never click on the links.

Most places - ebay, amazon, paypal are targeted by these spoof messages hundreds of times a day - I know at one point I'd get 4-5 of these a day, every one of them I could spot was a spoof from a mile off but I know exactly what to look for, if a casual home user was in a hurry and saw the message I could see them panicing and clicking on links. Forward the messages to spoof@paypal.com.

I had an email from amazon last week, hadn't ever had to send a spoof to them so looked on their website and found the address. Once the company has the email, they can take action on getting the site shut down.

My boss clicked on a link to an ebay one last year, her account was hijacked and when she regained access someone had listed a tractor for sale.

Its a dangerous world we live in and email is one of the easiest ways for people to exploit our sense of security when it comes to our already paranoid feelings about personal details being held on servers we have no control over.

Take it as a lesson learned and just make sure you read, and re-read anything you get. If in doubt there are plenty of people on here who could give you a hand if you are unsure.

Take it as a lesson learned and just make sure you read, and re-read anything you get. If in doubt there are plenty of people on here who could give you a hand if you are unsure.

Thanks guys. I have already had an e-mail from PayPal (the real one) thanking me for forwarding the spoof one - which they confirmed and will take action to shut down the site.

Paypal will always use your full registered name whenever they send you a message, check the URL in the message to see where the message came from, check the urls carefully (if there are any) to see where they go - hold your mouse cursor over a url that says www.paypal.com and you might see it goes to some strange Russian site somewhere. As Robert says, never click on the links.

Even hold the mouse pointer over an address can be misleading as there are ways to make an address appear to be at one domain when really it goes to another. For example Talk Photography?

Another reason why you should use existing links or type them rather than clicking on ones in emails.

Michael.

I had a very similar email that i also rang paypal about and had to send in to the spoof@paypal address. they are pretty quick to act on these things and most of the time already aware its happening. But yeah, very scarey for sure!!! just got to keep your wits about you in these cases i guess

Here is an even better tip for Paypal users... Use the email you used to register your account ONLY for logging into Paypal. then create another email to use for making all of your payments. That way if you get any emails from 'Paypal' to the second email you can be 100% certain it's a spoof, as Paypal will only ever send mail to the email you registered with.

These scammers must spend so much time and effort on these things, surely it would be easier to get a legal paying job??!!?? :thinking:

These scammers must spend so much time and effort on these things, surely it would be easier to get a legal paying job??!!?? :thinking:

Probably not LB! :wave:

I recently returned from an anti-virus and computer security conference and it seems that it is very profitable indeed. So much so I very nearly walked out and joined the darkside. :D

Back