Critique Schallion Road

Name
Steven
Edit My Images
Yes
A few from September this year, A misty inversion up near the tops with the cloud blowing through the valley absolutely ferocious sun out of the cloud, couldn't see a damm thing it. There is something on the negatives when you look closely I'm not sure what but its not dust. TBH I think my phone pictures were better but here's the B&W ones, I'll get the Portra scanned one of these days...
Shot on Pan25 in the RB67

First my POTY year shot:
1. Tree with Hints of Schallion by Steven, on Flickr

And these were taken from a spot near the road as is evident.

2. Schallion Road in rolling mist by Steven, on Flickr

3. Schallion Road in rolling mist by Steven, on Flickr

4. Schallion Road in rolling mist by Steven, on Flickr

Lovely set, real sense of the place, I must shoot some 25ASA film.

These interesting take, I think, would positively gain at impacting the eye if
micro contrast was playing its feature part in the rendition.

Lovely set, real sense of the place, I must shoot some 25ASA film.

Cheers Adrian, I do like Pan25 though its getting hard to find. I couldn't get on with the 20-25 iso films that are still around, they're all document emulsions and too finicky for my slap dash approach!

These interesting take, I think, would positively gain at impacting the eye if
micro contrast was playing its feature part in the rendition.

Thanks. Contrast was my biggest problem, in the mist it was seriously curtailed but out of it the sun was very strong and caused me some problems.

Reactions: Jao
I think this sort of misty B&W landscape would normally be trying to convey emotions of solitariness, spookiness, mystery, isolation, and suchlike. (If that's not the emotions you were going for, then ignore this :D )

#1 has it. I think it would work better without the tree on the far right, or possibly from further back, thereby increasing the sense of isolation by making the trees a less dominant part of the scene.
#2 I really like the stratification of tones, but I think it's missing a focal point for the eye to return to after reading through the photo.
#3 and #4 are just begging for something dark and indistinct just poking out of the mist, to create a sense of mystery. The mist is a little too thick and opaque otherwise, and rather dominates the composition with nothingness.

I think this sort of misty B&W landscape would normally be trying to convey emotions of solitariness, spookiness, mystery, isolation, and suchlike. (If that's not the emotions you were going for, then ignore this :D )

#1 has it. I think it would work better without the tree on the far right, or possibly from further back, thereby increasing the sense of isolation by making the trees a less dominant part of the scene.
#2 I really like the stratification of tones, but I think it's missing a focal point for the eye to return to after reading through the photo.
#3 and #4 are just begging for something dark and indistinct just poking out of the mist, to create a sense of mystery. The mist is a little too thick and opaque otherwise, and rather dominates the composition with nothingness.

Cheers Keith. The first one I was really going for the isolation as you say; the others I'm not really sure what I was aiming for.

the others I'm not really sure what I was aiming for

The story of my photography. That's the reason I've been making a real effort lately to critique photos here. Hopefully the reading of other photographs will bleed into my own.

The story of my photography. That's the reason I've been making a real effort lately to critique photos here. Hopefully the reading of other photographs will bleed into my own.

Yeah I know what you mean. I've been spending time with photobooks and really examining the pictures but tbh I think what really helps is having something to say. The first image was a bit of a cliche but at least had a voice the others were just representations of the place and time, I had a roll to finish and I was enjoying myself other wise I'm not sure I'd have taken them.

I'm not so bad with my project type shots and I think this helps. I know my local hills backwards and I'm shooting (largely) towards a theme so they're not so lost however they're buried in my scanner backlog.

I really like number two, there are so many layers to it and I love the detail in the foreground compared to the mistiness of the rest of the scene :)

I've really enjoyed your critiiques lately (both on my images and others), I think they've been valuable and have definitely helped me to see things I hadn't realised before!

Last edited:
Back