School photographer appalling

Status
Not open for further replies.
Name
Phil
Edit My Images
No
After previous years where schools photographers have been beautifying kids without being asked.

Some utter moron appears to have taken it upon themselves to offer group photos without ‘children with special educational needs’.

What goes through peoples minds that makes them think this is ok?

I'd literally posted a minute before you

School says they have parted company with Tempest. I just can't imagine what got into the photographer's head....

Staggering!

What I do wonder is whether the offer(?) was made by the individual photographer or the company as official 'policy'.

If the former, then the reputational damage, to his/her employer, that one photographer has caused could be significant.
NB do Tempest directly employ their photographers or are just(?) affiliates?

After previous years where schools photographers have been beautifying kids without being asked.

Some utter moron appears to have taken it upon themselves to offer group photos without ‘children with special educational needs’.

I think it is it OK.

It would be no surprise if a few parents haven't previously ask the tog if he could do this, and so this year it was offered officially.

It never surprises me how genuinely awful people are.

Trust me, the kids will pick up on being excluded and that's an appalling thing to make someone feel for the sake of a vanity keepsake.

It would be no surprise if a few parents haven't previously ask the tog if he could do this, and so this year it was offered officially.
I can't imagine the option being dreamed up out of the blue either.

To be honest Phil when I saw your post I thought good one! Then I realised it wasnt the first of April. And it was real.
I find it hard to believe, a photographer would even think this is a good idea. Mind in todays crazy world of the easily offended by everything he or she might have a market.
Personally I think it'll backfire and their business will vanish. But if it doesnt and it becomes the normal I'm chucking in photography.

I can't imagine the option being dreamed up out of the blue either.
But isn't the school that contract the photographer company and if they are going to offer such services......the school would have oversight of the policy offering.

You must have some good, right and valid reasoning behind this opinion, care to share that?
Once upon a better time, these "learning difficulty" kids wouldn't even be in a conventional class or indeed standard school. To my mind, the real shock is that they are. They shouldn't be, they should be separate because they are very different.

And some people might prefer a picture without them, or with them. What's wrong with choice?

Talking of certain photographers' attitude to people with disabilities, I was at a wedding a couple of years ago and they were about to do the big 'everyone' photo when they decided to move a woman in a wheelchair next to me. Should all disabled people be grouped together/ I didn't know her btw.

School is probably the worse environment in the world. I remember every year my school had their group photo and once it was put on display I was always scratched out. The photo wasn't ever changed... I understand the emotional stress those kids felt, I just hope they realise school sucks and doesn't last forever.

The best thing I ever did was leave school, and then stupidly fell into teaching, but leaving teaching was the best thing ever, even as a teacher education sucks.

Once upon a better time, these "learning difficulty" kids wouldn't even be in a conventional class or indeed standard school. To my mind, the real shock is that they are. They shouldn't be, they should be separate because they are very different.

And some people might prefer a picture without them, or with them. What's wrong with choice?
Once upon a time schools were segregated by race , should photography firms also offer class photos without various ethnic groups for people who consider those to be "a better time"?

Times change and state funded schools are more inclusive and I would hazard a guess offering a group photo without people who have a protected characteristic would breach the Equality act as well as being morally reprehensible.

Talking of certain photographers' attitude to people with disabilities, I was at a wedding a couple of years ago and they were about to do the big 'everyone' photo when they decided to move a woman in a wheelchair next to me. Should all disabled people be grouped together/ I didn't know her btw.
@SFTPhotography

What's funny about this post?

The fact you seem put out by being placed to a disabled person. Why get bothered about such trivial things in life, why does it even matter?
As you well know, I'm a wheelchair user. I wasn't put out by being placed next to a disabled person, I was put out by the fact that the photographer thought that, because we were both disabled, we should be placed together. I don't expect you to understand because you're not disabled, but I did expect you to read my post properly!

As you well know, I'm a wheelchair user. I wasn't put out by being placed next to a disabled person, I was put out by the fact that the photographer thought that, because we were both disabled, we should be placed together. I don't expect you to understand because you're not disabled, but I did expect you to read my post properly!
I still don't see the issue. Would you rather have been separated in the shot?

Honestly. Non issue.

Once upon a time schools were segregated by race , should photography firms also offer class photos without various ethnic groups for people who consider those to be "a better time"?

Times change and state funded schools are more inclusive and I would hazard a guess offering a group photo without people who have a protected characteristic would breach the Equality act as well as being morally reprehensible.
You do realise his answer would be a resounding yes don’t you.

This is the guy who said he’d happily shoot people in the face (immigrants).

And sailing close to the wind here regarding moderation of the forum.

This lowlife is allowed to spout these views on here, but if id honestly posted a description of him I’d be banned.

Last edited:
I still don't see the issue. Would you rather have been separated in the shot?

Honestly. Non issue.
And you still completely missed the point. If she had wheeled herself next to me, I would have had no issue whatsoever.

When opinion turns to bigotry

I think that statement is far too broad to be anywhere near useful.

Years ago most of the special needs kids of today would just have been in an ordinary class and have to get on with life along with the rest of them.

Now kids with anything that can be described as a "special" is placed into a box with a name, and treated differently, which makes them different.

Kids are often mirrors of their parents, and often the parents are the real problem, not the kids. When you hear years 4,5 and 6 talking worse than sailors in a Portsmouth pub, you know how people talk in their home. When you hear kids of that talking back and being rude, you know how the adults in their home talk to each other.

There are a very small number of kids that can not be in main stream education, and there are special schools for them, but to say that kids with learning difficulties (which can include a very wide range of challenges) should not be in
a conventional class or indeed standard school
does not deserve respect or consideration.

There could be a lot of reasons. As a wedding tog the main reason we move people around it to either see them better, or to "ballance" a photo, maybe more people on one side of the group or something.

What you don't understand is that special needs children can still see and hear crap like this on TV and the Internet and no doubt struggle within to cope with being treated like this and most are unable to verbalise their feelings. Many SN teachers have fought for pupil inclusion when joined to mainstream as they excel far above in certain subjects. I would say, put yourself in their position, but I guess you wouldn't give a s***.

That said, I'd prefer the reasoning before the news was leaked, so reactions were justified. Innocent before being proved guilty.

As a society we don't accept as a valid choice excluding people simply because they have characteristics over which they have no control. It could be argued that some people live as hermits and could therefore say that they don't care about society, but I don't get the impression that this is the case here.

There could be a lot of reasons. As a wedding tog the main reason we move people around it to either see them better, or to "ballance" a photo, maybe more people on one side of the group or something.
I get what you're saying, but in this case, we were both placed at the far end of the front row. Both of us in the middle or one at each end would've been more balanced.

I'd never wish anyone to go through this.
My son's school has kids with special learning needs. I have no issues with kids attending same class as my son, and befriending my son. Teaches important lesson in inclusion.

I am a fire Marshall and I have to work with people of special needs to define contingency evacuation plans in case of fire. Some of them have brilliant minds and probably way cleverer than me in some/many areas.
One of these kids could be the next greatest scientist or artist or something else.

This is what I teach my kids anyway. Each to their own I guess.

That said, I'd prefer the reasoning before the news was leaked, so reactions were justified. Innocent before being proved guilty.
Did you watch the item?

What would you consider a suitable justification?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back