School Photography course all Done.

Name
Daryl
Edit My Images
No
Well guys we got through it... almost in one piece.

Please feel free to leave any feed back and how you felt. It was my first time so any advice will be great.

A big thank you to all our guests and all the crew at HR Wallingford.

Here is the Motley Crew.

class_group_by_dazwpw-d4q4ego.jpg

class_grp_2_by_dazwpw-d4q4evf.jpg

Last edited:

Please feel free to leave any feed back and how you felt. It was my first time so any advice will be great.

Here is the Motley Crew.

attachment.php

Ha ha not so little human your techy skills shine through again! (your link doesnt work). :LOL:

Great course Daryl, and nice one my son for sharing your experiences and for taking us through the positives and negatives of school photography. There is a LOT more to it than just taking a few pics of some little humans and sending the pics of to parents. There is the pitfalls of mums.net, owl poo, man-bits on deputy head shoulder, and of course getting diamond dav's discount right.

If you are at all interested in school photogrpahy, team photography or anything where you plan to take pics of multiple people and attempt to sell them then this IS the course to go on.

Also good to network with a lot of other togger's and meet some people who up to now have only been forum members. Great to meet everyone.

Now for a beer!

P.S. How's the finger!

Last edited:
what a great course! I particuarly liked the food! :)

No honestly, it was great and picked up loads of information that will help me in the future. It was great to meet other TP'ers and a few others.

Daryl put things in simple terms (luckily for me) and really did share some great info. After this course im well onto my way to making seven hundred and fifty grand!

Looking forward to seeing the picuture!

Ive got enough info and leaflets to read for a week.

Yes. It was an excellent overall introduction to school photography. Am looking forward to further courses.

What a fantastic course. If you are interested in school photography, this course is a MUST!! There is so much more to it than just taking photos of little humans and watching the money roll in. Daryl was very free with information and made sure we not only had the good points but the bad ones too.

The goody bag was full of information although not a single bit of chocolate to be found lol.

Met some lovely togs who were all happy to share there knowledge and I'm sure I'm going to be bugging some of the soon (watch out Tom and Gilly I mean you!!)

Daryl, if it all fails you can always rely on the comedy and of course BEER to get you by.

Lyn

Mank said:
You need to be registered and logged in with EPS to see the pictures.

I was thinking that might be the case, will wait for it to be sorted, not going to be registering on yet another forum :(

Excellent couple of days. Well worth the time/money/effort. So many fresh ideas, and not just for schools stuff. Recommend to all.
(By the way, I can see the pictures no problem).

Here is the Motley Crew.

class_group_by_dazwpw-d4q4ego.jpg

class_grp_2_by_dazwpw-d4q4evf.jpg

Tut Tut you spelt my name wrong lol.

Lyn

It was a genuine pleasure to meet you all, wish I could have been there for day two - maybe next time...

Fabulous course - LOADS of information - and Daryl's inimitable 'warts and all ' approach to school photography.
Would highly recommend it !
Lots of laughs
Lots of loverley people
Setting was great

Share Lyn's disappointment with the lack of chocolate - but I'm guessing that is just a girly thing
and now just to work out how I rob a bank to get all the new equipment I need at Focus !!

Last edited:
I was so glad this course was recommended to me. I learnt such a lot from Daryl and his team about photographing schools using a structured system to suit our workload.

It has given me a lot to think about. Thank you Daryl :clap:

It was also good to meet up with members of TP and exchange ideas - some I have met in the past. Great company.

An ipad 2 has to be my next purchase!

This might have been Daryls first time doing a course but hopefully for others it won't be his last. He clearly has loads of experience that he was only too happy to share. A nice mix of hands on complete with little humans and "classroom" stuff. Everything you need to know about schools photography, including how to finish by lunchtime and leave time for beer and noisy boys films.

Great to meet everyone else too. Love the pic (well the second one anyway!) definitely going to steal that idea. Some great anecdotes, especially those at the end Daryl, perhaps you should start a thread for those.

Come on Gilly - time you changed your picture to you !

Me too - would love those pictures

Helen, It took me ages to work out how to change my picture, as it has been such a long time since I uploaded photographs on TP. :shrug:

I have to own up now that the previous profile picture was in fact my lovely daughter - Rhiannon. ;)

Gilly B said:
Helen, It took me ages to work out how to change my picture, as it has been such a long time since I uploaded photographs on TP. :shrug:

I have to own up now that the previous profile picture was in fact my lovely daughter - Rhiannon. ;)

Yeyyyy Gilly that's better, mines no better though as its my logo. Lol xx

you spelt my name wrong lol.

And this is a free additional bit of the class - showing no matter how good the product, if you've got someones name wrong you'll have to reprint!

I'm sure Daryl will have mentioned that the name data schools hold is often wrong - or perhaps their "sunday" names - i.e. Daryl might be known most of the time as Dazza, or Daz or even Guru!

Knowing Daryl well, I know you'll have learned loads! ;-)

............both Fab pics Gillian - but nice to see you again !!

You have inspired me to try and do one now too !!

That's cheating, getting a proper photographer to take your photo for a forum...

hi everyone. Had some great feed back and some very constructive e-mails on the course.

One point that did stand out.

Day one was trying tobe more of a hands on. did you feel you would get by with no children as models. just showing full set ups of kit for different styles?

Make the shooting a half day session?

Were the guests interesting with the subject matter and software and technology informative inough for you?

Please feel free to comment.

Daryl I have a few pointers and will mail you when I get a quiet moment in the next few days, but your basic structure and approach was very sound. Maybe just a few tweaks, but really liked how you delivered it all. Maybe you deserve a career in training as well as photography?

Daryl

I'll send you a detailed email in the next day or two but fundamentally the course was very well designed and highly informative. I'd strongly recommend it to anyone looking to break into the school photography field.

I think you should retain the kids as models. They all did an excellent job and would certainly be better than having to shoot Diddy Dave (although he is about the correct height)! Perhaps less need for models for the more formal poses but IMO better to have them than not.

Congratulations on running such an excellent and informative course. Please pass my thanks on to all others who helped out with the course.

Cheers.

Phil

Here's a quick summary of the course.

Firstly, I’d like to thank Daryl for the course.* He worked like a mad man to get across a wealth of information.*
I found the course very informative, relaxed and fun. It doesn’t take long to realise that Daryl knows the schools business inside out.* Not only did he manage to share very key information, but he also backed it up with some awesome war stories.* Experience counts!
During the course Daryl invited in a number of* pro schools suppliers.* It was very useful to get some new contracts and to see first hand what products these guys were offering!
The course structure was perfect, with a healthy mix of practical and theory.* Having models to photograph was brilliant.
The environment was also very good.* Loads of space and that all important wireless access that us togs love J*
Daryl also assembled some displays.* These were excellent and gave me a good understanding on how to promote myself if I decide to go down the school route.
Any negatives?* Not really.* As I’ve already said to Daryl, the only thing I would do to improve the course would be to facilitate tethered shooting so that delegates could instantly see some results on big screens.
Would I recommend the course?* Yes, of course.* If nothing else, the two days spent with Daryl will give you a good indication of whether schools are for you, allowing you to make the decision before you invest in lights, backdrops, barcode readers etc etc.* The course is worth the cost for this reason alone!
Last but not least, there must have been loads of work done behind the scenes to make the course run so smoothly.* I have no doubt that Lynda played a massive part in this, so a big thanks to her!* AND – I almost forgot to say thanks to Air Force Al and Brummy Steve!

Cheers.

Dav

Just to let you know that I have already got 2 primary schools booked in for June this year and my templates have been made up with One Vision Imaging - who have been very helpful to a newbie in Schools. Thanks Daryl for the course which has helped me up the first rung of the School Photography ladder.

Back