Scotland named most beautiful country

Such a pity the current 'Scottish government' are so focused on destroying all the scenery with wind farms.

Brain dead lot all round.

Tell me, would you prefer a gas company pumping thousands of litres of unknown chemicals into the water table to frack gas outside your house? Maybe some coal company digging shafts under your home (and destabilising the whole area) to provide fuel for a power plant? Maybe someone dumping nuclear waste in the seas of our coast would appeal to you more?

Until we're at a point where there's enough money going into hydro/offshore tidal water farms or large solar farms - we're going to be building more wind turbines. Surely providing a clean and renewable energy is preferable to a whacking great nuclear plant dotted around the country? (look at Belgiums current problems, for reference) There's plenty wind turbines round where I live, can't say it bothers me one iota.

What's your solution?

What's your solution?

What's yours ? More wind farms ?

While wind / wave / solar etc may be a more reliable source in the future - at the moment it's not a guaranteed method of 'keeping the countries lights on' , so to speak.

Political ideology is pushing this stupid agenda.

While wind / wave / solar etc may be a more reliable source in the future - at the moment it's not a guaranteed method of 'keeping the countries lights on' , so to speak.

Political ideology is pushing this stupid agenda.

Let's leave politics out of this. Talking on a purely factual level the future energy security of this country does not lie with fossil fuels. Poisoning the masses in fracking our land does nobody but the exchequer and big oil & gas a favour.

We need a way to harness the natural energy we have en masse in this country, which would mean a more intelligent National Grid, quite simply. A way of storing energy and releasing it during peak demand is the way of the future and one we must adopt in the next 50 years or so. Wether that's done on a national level, or with individual properties creating and storing their own energy remains to be seen (I like the idea of small grids in communities or individual properties storing energy in battery banks, for example). There is no one magical solution, nor should we plunge our energy future with any one technology. A mix of wind, wave and solar is where to start - if that means more wind farms and solar panels then so be it - i'll be happy to see a wind turbine on a hill to achieve that.

Side note: Denmark (as an example) already have windfarms providing roughly 50% of the countries energy. Scotland could be well on it's way to doing that too: http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...able-energy-power-national-grid-a7517066.html

What a strange argument.

Don't build anymore green energy solutions *because* we haven't got enough green energy solutions to be sustainable?

Which is precisely why we should build more...

The cost of green energy is being driven down by investment and it is a viable solution. Living near a corridor of power stations along the m62 I know that coal fired power is a much bigger eyesore than wind will ever be.

Looking at their examples a lot of the other contenders look much better than the dark pond they chose.
In fact I really don't agree with their choice it must have been selected by homesick Scots or something.

A lot of times I pass wind farms which are not operating because either there is not enough wind, or they are shut down because it's too windy.
Surely there must be a better way?

One thing you can always rely on is that the tide rises and falls twice a day.
There seems to be plenty of scope for innovation in that area.

I think it's fair to say who ever voted Scotland as dogs doodaas has not been round Glasgow much.

As for wind turbines, what a useless bunch of expensive bio hazards they are.

Reactions: 4wd
A lot of times I pass wind farms which are not operating because either there is not enough wind, or they are shut down because it's too windy.
Surely there must be a better way?

One thing you can always rely on is that the tide rises and falls twice a day.
There seems to be plenty of scope for innovation in that area.

The problem is power storage, we can generate a lot of power from things like the sun, wind and tides - just not necessarily when we need it. However battery technology is tackling that now
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/07/07/tesla-build-worlds-biggest-battery/

The future is a distributed network of self sufficient buildings with integrated generation and storage solutions that become the grid.

Well, as we are waaaay! off topic.
I am surprised modern houses aren't dual voltage these days.
Most of todays gadgets and gizmos can run off 12 volt supplies. Admittedly power showers, ovens kettles and the likes require more oomph!

I'd say Ireland is equal to Scotland.

I find the coast lines of the UK in general are more beautiful than the inland of any UK country.
But then I was brought up 3 miles from a beach

Not been to all these places and I doubt everyone who voted has...

However I ahve only recently discovered the buety of scotland and love the place.. already planning a third holiday of discovery :)

Let's leave politics out of this. Talking on a purely factual level the future energy security of this country does not lie with fossil fuels. Poisoning the masses in fracking our land does nobody but the exchequer and big oil & gas a favour.

We need a way to harness the natural energy we have en masse in this country, which would mean a more intelligent National Grid, quite simply. A way of storing energy and releasing it during peak demand is the way of the future and one we must adopt in the next 50 years or so. Wether that's done on a national level, or with individual properties creating and storing their own energy remains to be seen (I like the idea of small grids in communities or individual properties storing energy in battery banks, for example). There is no one magical solution, nor should we plunge our energy future with any one technology. A mix of wind, wave and solar is where to start - if that means more wind farms and solar panels then so be it - i'll be happy to see a wind turbine on a hill to achieve that.

Side note: Denmark (as an example) already have windfarms providing roughly 50% of the countries energy. Scotland could be well on it's way to doing that too: http://www.independent.co.uk/enviro...able-energy-power-national-grid-a7517066.html

There is now a way tidal energy can be converted into electricity and that electricity can then be used to produce Hydrogen Gas. It is relatively cheap too. Offshore wind is now half the price and Nuclear. I'll take a few windfarms for the sake of still being able to live. I'm not an SNP voter but they are miles ahead of the curve compared too the backward Tories in Westminster.

No surprise Scotland is top. So lucky to live here with huge photographic potential a few hours away in most directions

Snip:
No surprise Scotland is top. So lucky to live here with huge photographic potential a few hours away in most directions

Ah, I see what you mean... a few hours south by car to the Lake District, Northumberland or North Wales, a few hours east by air to Denmark, Norway and Sweden, or northwest to Iceland. ;)

Last edited:
The problem is power storage, we can generate a lot of power from things like the sun, wind and tides - just not necessarily when we need it. However battery technology is tackling that now
http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technology/2017/07/07/tesla-build-worlds-biggest-battery/

Don't reservoirs for hydro-electric power stations count? Some are refilled by pumping the water back up when excess power is being produced by solar generation so the HEP can supply (relatively) instant power when needed (when the power source for the solar generators is hiding.)

But they are pathetically small energy reservoirs. They will do you to cover you while you spin up a gas power station, maybe, that's about all.

A bit larger than a Tesla battery though.

Although when you're setting up your camera in Scotland you don't have to worry about being eaten by wolves or bears !!!

Back