Scotland

Name
Pete
Edit My Images
No
crw_8771-01.jpg

You’ll have to forgive me, but I can’t remember where this was on our Scotland trip in 2004.

Camera: Canon 10D // Exposure Time: 30 sec // ISO Speed Rating: 100 // Lens Aperture: f/8.0 // Focal Length: 48.00 mm

vanilla cykhdrShare This

More...

Wow, stunning that ! :)

Good toning but not sure about the vignetting. Cracking location and good to see landscapes from you again !

Looks like a tower out of lord of the rings.
The one where Gandalf get rescued by the big eagle.
Nice shot tho:)

Looks like a view from the Fort William to Malaig train journey. yep or the cliff behind the national trust building

Looks like a view from the Fort William to Malaig train journey. yep or the cliff behind the national trust building

I think you're right about the location Dave. I was there for a few days in August.

Dunno why I didn't stop to take a picture. P***ing rain, fog, tourists, midges !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!:LOL::LOL:

:)This is the Glenfinnen Monument at the head of loch Shiel close to the landing place of Bonny Prince Charlie at the start of the Jacobite rebellion. I have been inside the monument many times, a very scenic place.(y)Nice shot

lovely photo, is it me or is this IR, looks like it to me.

Excellent shot but there does seem to be quite a bit of vignetting but as I'm not familiar with IR, is something else causing the dark corners?

the monument looks like the leaning tower of pisa - straighten it up and you have an acceptable shot - but one that has been taken a million times before!!!

And it will no doubt be photographed a million times more unless it falls down.
It would be a sad day indeed if we by-passed taking a photo because its a popular shot.

very LOTR Pete, I like it.

the monument looks like the leaning tower of pisa - straighten it up and you have an acceptable shot - but one that has been taken a million times before!!!

And that should stop me taking it, why? I don't recall anyone else taking a black and white infrared photo with my eyes on that day, with that light.

Nothing wrong with you taking the shot too - just that the only thing that makes it original is the monument leaning over! :)

Nothing wrong with you taking the shot too - just that the only thing that makes it original is the monument leaning over!

While I appreciate the need to be original in this day and age, I'm not going to pass up the opportunity to get a photo just because everyone else has. Any ways, I took this photo 3 years ago and I'm sure I could do far better now. Also, how many black and white infrared shots are there of this?

Gotta agree with awp to a certain extent. This shot is almost as common as a BEM shot in Scotland and we have sen it just about all ways except squint. :LOL:

I Like the IR effect however apart from that it is as ordinary a shot of the Glenfinnan monument and Loch Shiel as I have seen.

Well like I said. It was 3 years ago :p I'd had my 10D for probably a month. I didn't have an originality meter on me that day, so there wasn't really much I could do about it.

Accept it for what it is, a decent shot of a well known place, I drive past that monument semi regularly and so I have the same 'seen it all before attitude' that I have with many parts of the Highlands.

The thing with the Highlands is the light, when the light's right it's breathtaking, the rest of the time it's just well grey.

Pete

You posted as I did so missed your last one before I got my response to awp up. This said I have responded as I saw the shot and tried to say it as I see it. I have come to notice that you really don't like ANY negative feedback on your images.

Your work is cool and I count myself as a fan of your Liverpool landscape work however please don't forget that all us ordinary folk have opinions of our own and like to voice them now and again.

Cheers

Gary.

I have come to notice that you really don't like ANY negative feedback on your images.

No its not that at all. I accept that the building is off, but theres not exactly a lot I can do about originality on a 3 year old shot. I can't recompose it, or just nip back there and reshoot it. I thought awp's response came across a bit brutal tbh. "Buildings not straight, lacks originality" Oh gee thanks. At the time I'd only just got the camera and this was 3 years ago. We were passing through to get shots of the area on our trip round Scotland. I didn't know it was a hugely famous well photographed location. Hell, I didn't even remember where it was :p If it wasn't for negative feedback over all these years I wouldn't have progressed from taking flower macros.

CRW_8771-01-3_-2__tonemapped.jpg

Reprocessed now with added HDR. Now, how many B&W HDR IR shots are there of this place? :)

Pete - yikes... that last post of yours is like a neehhh ne ne neehhh ne...!! come on... don't be so sensitive of critique, everyone here is entitled to their opinion - regardless of their level of skill/experience, nor if you agree with it or not. Nothing offensive has been posted, just personal opinions.

I agree with HUN, you do seem to react unduly if anything negative comes your way. I too am a huge fan of what you do, but there's really no need to react in this manner when such comments are posted, it doesn't do you any good.

Your experience and skill in the art of shooting and presenting images far surpasses your ability to show restraint and accept critique.

I posted a comment on the "originality" of the shot before Pete did. I perceive Pete's comments to be justified and not a negative reaction.
I have never heard of the shots location nor seen any photo's of the said location.

Pete, your second attempt on the processing is better in my opinion.(y)

If you search some of my threads you'll see I've posted rubbish photos, and you'll see that I've accepted peoples comments. Hell even in this thread, Puz commented on the vignetting, and I agreed. :(

No malice was intended in my comments but you were asking for comments and I gave my opinion which I stand by. Whether Susane has seen the shot before or not it is one of the most photographed views in Scotland - you should get up here and have a look Susane! On the other hand I probably couldn't identify your most popular views in Lincs! :)

I have seen this many times before,both in photographs & in life. The first shot for me is one of the best pics I have seen of this monument. I may be wrong but I seem to remember reading somewhere that the tower does actually have a lean on it.

Well I've never seen, been or heard of this before so ner :p........and I've been up to Scotland more times than I've had hot dinners being half Scot too.

I do like the shot very much esp the second one.

Firstly in Pete's defense, he posted the pic in general sharing, not in depth crit, so a few comments might be bordering ott, seeing as he only posted this with the pic

You’ll have to forgive me, but I can’t remember where this was on our Scotland trip in 2004.

But against Pete, I did think you may have taken it too much to heart, but as you said at the time 3 years ago it did the job.

:bonk:

No malice was intended in my comments but you were asking for comments and I gave my opinion which I stand by. Whether Susane has seen the shot before or not it is one of the most photographed views in Scotland - you should get up here and have a look Susane! On the other hand I probably couldn't identify your most popular views in Lincs! :)

Neither could I tell you the most popular views in Lincs, it still has no bearing on whether or nor a shot should be taken and displayed here.

I think this discussion is out of hand - I will take no further part in it - and I'll refrain from making any comment on your pictures in the future. Bye.

I think this discussion is out of hand - I will take no further part in it - and I'll refrain from making any comment on your pictures in the future. Bye.

Out of curiosity I had a look at your stock photography. You have a bird of prey captioned as a Buzzard when in fact it is a Kestrel. Seems we can all get things a bit wrong:D

If you search some of my threads you'll see I've posted rubbish photos, and you'll see that I've accepted peoples comments. Hell even in this thread, Puz commented on the vignetting, and I agreed. :(

What a strange thread. I think the image is stunning and I've not seen an image like this of this location before so I stand by my original comment of "Wow". I did comment on the vignetting. There is a just a smidgen too much on the left but to be completely honest it doesn't distract much from the fact that it's a stunning shot. Nit picking over a 0.5 deg tilt on the monument is bizarre to be frank and I don't particular care if it is. I've watched Pete's photography for probably 5 years now and he's gone from strength to strength. Yes there have been a few not so hot ones but his good far outweigh his weak. If i was 1/2 as accomplished as Pete in his career as a photographer i'd be a very happy man :)

I think it's an awsome shot. Being a soft southerner I've never seen this scene before. Looks like something from a fantasy novel. Very good (y)

I was in this very spot this summer, just down the road is the viaduct used in the Harry Potter film.

I think this is a stunning shot of a very popular tourist spot. Well done

Well I'm glad some people liked it :) Even if it is as original as a photo of a squirrel :p

Back