Scottish Highlands...but where?

Name
Nick
Edit My Images
Yes
I'm in a fortunate position thus weekend to be working away in St Andrews, but actually have the weekend off :)
I drove to The Trossachs last weekend and got some fantastic photos, but I'm just looking on google maps now, and not much further is what I'd called 'real' Scottish highlands.
As I have never been here before, could anyone recommend me where to go for landscape photographing?

I'm naturally drawn to Fort William because that's the only place I've heard of, but would be very grateful for any tips or pointers where to go. It's about a 200+ mile round trip so I want to be sure I get somewhere good.

Thank you :)

Hi Nick,lots around the fort william area--glencoe-ben nevis, and not to far away is eileen donad castle near dormie, one of the bond films was made here, and also a stunning coast line. Lucky you, post some images when you get back as I have plans to visit that area later this year.(y)

I would head up the A9 a smidge - anywhere around Pitlochry is ace, or a wee head into Loch Tay area from Aberfeldy, ending up at my house (my house view below) at Killin and then head back to home via Callander...and a hell of a lot closer!
4114679292_9baa9e9a7a_b.jpg

Hi Nick,lots around the fort william area--glencoe-ben nevis, and not to far away is eileen donad castle near dormie, one of the bond films was made here, and also a stunning coast line. Lucky you, post some images when you get back as I have plans to visit that area later this year.(y)

Thanks for the reply, I think I will go for Glencoe and Fort William, maybe even try to get an overnight stay to get two days at it.
Is there anything in particular in that area I need to photograph, or is it just a case of the whole place is gorgeous so take your pick?

I'm thinking of it being like the Lake District, in that it's a vast area and some bits are better than others...is it like that?

I'd stick with the easy coast tbh, Glenshee and the Cairngorm national park are great and less photographed.

My folks are based in Perth and some of my next landscape shots have come from just walking up paths by the side of the A9 between Perth & Pitlochry.

I'd stick with the easy coast tbh, Glenshee and the Cairngorm national park are great and less photographed.

My folks are based in Perth and some of my next landscape shots have come from just walking up paths by the side of the A9 between Perth & Pitlochry.

Thanks for the reply, im just looking here on a map and struggling to see where you mean. Could you be a bit more specific?
The thing is, I'll be driving there and only have limited time to photograph, so ideally would like somewhere I can park up and spend several hours walking around a loch or really nice area getting photos, rather than walking down roads looking for a shot.

Thank you

To be honest we just look at a map, for small lochs etc and walk up and have a look.

There is lots closer than Fort William, nothing wrong with going there but it's a long way. Over in the west I'd include Loch Tulla and the Black Mount, you could walk up the West Highland Way from Forest lodge a bit to Ba Bridge for some fantastic scenery. Then there's Glen Nevis and a walk up to Steall falls (beware the slippery rock). Or back at Glencoe there's the lost valley, or a walk up the Devils Staircase and get some shots of the Buachaille's and the Mamores is fantastic from there if it's still got a snow covering.

Back east, you've got the Linn of Dee - interesting in itself, walk towards white bridge or to Derry Lodge and views of the southern gorms. Or go to Aviemore and the northern corries. Head into Glenmore, park beyond Glenmore Lodge and walk through the scots pine to An Lochan Uaine, ryvoan bothy, etc. Fantastic picturesque places without heading into too mountainous terrain.

This weekend your main problem is going to be getting the views, it's looking windy, wet and unsettled.

If the weather is bd the Hermitage may be worth a visit (waterfall & hermitage), it's in the woods so a bit sheltered.

Or if it's really bad there are the falls of bruar, again in the woods, but the shop at the bottom has a great cafe.

Back