Scottish Rally 2013

Name
Matty
Edit My Images
No
Thought I would get these in before a deluge of British GP threads start appearing!
Took a trip up to Dumfries for the Scottish rally. Had been warned, but wasn't prepared for the midge factor......think it was the last straw for my other half, who I can't see being happy going to another rally. Early morning, wet feet, lots of walking and getting eaten alive....all part of the fun surely.
Anyway, a few shots from the event. All comments/criticism more than welcomed.
Thanks for looking
Matty

1) Trying a closer up approach
Scottishnational-2.jpg

2) View blocker!
Scottishnational-9.jpg

3) More through the foliage shot
Scottishnational-7.jpg

4) Into the wilderness
Scottishnational-11.jpg

5) MK1 trying to get the back out
Scottishnational-5.jpg

6) I will never tire of watching this car on stage
Scottishnational-8.jpg

I like #1, #4 and #6 from these Matty. I think the foreground foliage is just a bit too bright in #5 and if you removed the spectator in #2 I think you'd have an excellent shot. With them there, it just doesn't work for me. #3 I just do not like or get.

Cheers,

Simon.

Number 1 does it for me, I like the angle and positioning of the shot. Would you post the lens, f stop, shutter speed and filter used if possible please. You need to bring the mrs down to "sunny" Wales for a few days to harden her uo LOL.

Missed it again then :bang:
I really fancy shooting a rally to get some shots like these, which I enjoyed.
That view blocker in 2 would have to go though
Nice set (y)

What, no marmite, whats going on mate !1 ,s really nice, and like you, got to love a 6r4 but for me, 4 is a belter, the size of those tree,s against the car just does it for me,
really well done mate,
Dave

Thanks all. I intentionally left the guy in shot 2, I have others without him there, but kinda liked the context of it. Guess that it doesn't really work. ahh well, back to the drawing board on that one!
Same I guess with 3, though it is something I quite like, though maybe not executed as well as I should have.
@Andrewrallye - Settings for the first one are:
Canon 5d - 70-200mm f4 - Iso 100, focal length - 200mm, f4 1/400s. No filters

Still trying to get to grips with Lightroom 5, its turning out a different style of shot to what I produced in LR3, I feel its much grittier, and i'm not sure if it is working. Finding the colour balance is proving quite hard too.

Thanks for commenting and viewing people! Appreciate it!

Matty

Lovely stuff and very brave to get some of those shots.

1, 4 and 6 were the best for me.

I think 2 was a good idea to show how folk get photos at a rally, brave or daft :wacky:

3 is the one that didn't work for me as your closeness to the foliage prevents it looking like foliage, if you get what I mean?

Thanks Matty for the settings, it is nice to know for reference.
Cheers Andrew.

At last, someone likes the foliage shots!!!!
Mike, though it may look stupid, there was a substantial bank between the road and the spectator in 2, plus the line would have sent cars away from where he was. either an optical illusion or very clever composition I would say....haha
Thanks all for taking the time to comment!
Matty

I love all of these Matt but the shot of the trees is sensational.
So much more feeling than a nice, safe, stock standard front 3/4 pic.

I love all of these Matt but the shot of the trees is sensational.
So much more feeling than a nice, safe, stock standard front 3/4 pic.

Cheers Phil, it was a tough day to try and incorporate landscapes, the trees were really thick, and didn't give much option for opening out shots. I wasn't sure about the shot in camera, and took a little cropping in pp to make it work to some extent. Thanks for your input though...always appreciated!
Matty

At last, someone likes the foliage shots!!!!
Mike, though it may look stupid, there was a substantial bank between the road and the spectator in 2, plus the line would have sent cars away from where he was. either an optical illusion or very clever composition I would say....haha
Thanks all for taking the time to comment!
Matty

It's my kind of shot, does that make me daft? :puke:

Brilliant shots! Love #6 is cracking with the dust and stones flying behind the 6R4 just shows how much of an insane car it is! LOVE the noise of that V6 screaming passed! :D

great set! #1 and #6 would be my favourites... love that 6r4!

Cheers guys. Apparently that 6R4 or DAM 4100 GTI used to run a Hayabusa v8 lump in the back. Still sounds fairly sweet, but I can only imagine what it used to sound like.

I'm still gutted I never got to see Andy Burtons Peugeot Cosworth out on stage!

Thanks all for the comments. muchly appreciated!!

matty

I'm still gutted I never got to see Andy Burtons Peugeot Cosworth out on stage!

You arnt the only one mate, would loved to have seen the alfa ferrari too .. . :)

Thanks Paul. It was a good event. I have learned not to laugh at people wearing bee-keeping uniform in Scottish forests the hard way! Thanks for your comment!

4 and 5 stand out for me. lots of atmosphere in 4 and a great composition in n5. have to get out to a Rally soon!

Back