Scratch on LCD

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Afternoon guys

I have a really light scratch on my LCD screen which is bugging me beyond belief right now. Can't believe i've done it as i'm always so careful but anyway...

Anyone know how to remove the scratch without having screen replaced? Is there anything I can use to buff it up but safely of course?

I've used toothpaste to polish scratches out of CD's.....just pop it on the end of your finger and set to.

Bob

It is possible to replace screens on DSLRs with a heat gun to soften the glue; almost certainly depends on which camera you have.
Google for screen replacement + your camera model and see what turns up.

It is possible to replace screens on DSLRs with a heat gun to soften the glue; almost certainly depends on which camera you have.
Google for screen replacement + your camera model and see what turns up.

Not sure I fancy using a heat gun mate but thanks for your advice. I will try Google but to be honest it is such a light scratch I don't think i will need to buy a new screen. (i hope!!)

I've used toothpaste to polish scratches out of CD's.....just pop it on the end of your finger and set to.

Bob

Thanks for advice mate. Think I will see if any other suggestions come up first though before trying it lol.

I've replaced a screen on a canon 5D (simple and I am useless at anything like that) but I heard yesterday that jewellers use fibreglass brushes to get scratches off watch glass so that might be an alternative. I like the toothpaste idea most though.

I've replaced a screen on a canon 5D (simple and I am useless at anything like that) but I heard yesterday that jewellers use fibreglass brushes to get scratches off watch glass so that might be an alternative. I like the toothpaste idea most though.

This is a Sigma DP1 so not going to attempt it at all! Think I will try the toothpaste trick... Cheers

This is a Sigma DP1 so not going to attempt it at all! Think I will try the toothpaste trick... Cheers

Test it out on a mobile phone first to get a feel for what result you might get, presuming you have one with a scratch on the screen.

Might work. Polishing out scratches like this involves using mild abrasives, and you could also try something like Flitz metal polish, Brasso or cutting compound. It needs some pressure, but don't overdo it!

Bob

:agree: Had a scratch on a Tudor watch (Rolex) and when I took the watch to H Samuels they advised to try the toothpaste method, it worked a treat. There is fine granules in the paste so will have a mild cutting action, a bit like Farecla if you have ever used it.

:agree: Had a scratch on a Tudor watch (Rolex) and when I took the watch to H Samuels they advised to try the toothpaste method, it worked a treat. There is fine granules in the paste so will have a mild cutting action, a bit like Farecla if you have ever used it.

The Colgate is getting used tomorrow... and not just for my teeth!

Am sure the Camera will smell nice a fresh after ha ha

The scratch will be annoying at first but you will soon get used to it.
The scratch will not affect the picture quality so it's not like having a scratched lens.
I would not start rubbing with any sort of abrasive product such as toothpaste!

The scratch will be annoying at first but you will soon get used to it.
The scratch will not affect the picture quality so it's not like having a scratched lens.
I would not start rubbing with any sort of abrasive product such as toothpaste!

You're right it will not affect the picture quality in any way. Must admit I share the same opinion as you.

Just be aware that any abrasive will slightly also score the surface, even toothpaste, fibreglass pens are incredibly abrasive, so be very careful not to make it worse.

I really wouldn't bother you will only pick up another scratch and waste hours repeating this process over and over. Get out and take some pictures and stop fussing over the cosmetic condition of some cheap consumer electronics!

I have used a dedicated Plastic Cleaner followed by a Plastic Polish on LCD screens successfully for some years. The products I use are Meguiars Clear Plastic Cleaner/Polish, initially I used it on a cars convertible plastic rear screen to remove some scratches and clouding, but it will work and is ideal for clear plastic windows, screens, visors, headlight covers etc in your Car, Soft-Top, Motorhome, Caravan, Motorcycle Boat or even Aircraft........................ a combined cleaner/polish from their current range is: Meguiars Plast-RX Plastic Cleaner & Restorer Polish.

the film style screen protectors can sometimes reduce a scratch

annoyingly my dp2 is scratched, from a cheap hard screen protector that cracked :( , my other ones which are proper ggs a700 ones off ebay have been fine though

Back