scratch on sensor?

Edit My Images
Yes
I cleaned my sensor and my k10d the other night using the GREEN CLEAN sensor cleaning system i used the vacum cleaner first followed by the wey and dry swab, and i now seam to have what looks like a scratch on the sensor. Does anybody have this problem, or know how to deal with it, does it mean a new sensor and if so how much is this likely to cost, as you can imagine i am really upset that this has happened and would appriciate and advice.

sensor.jpg

Have you tried cleaning it again to be sure it really is a scratch?

Yeah was gonna say, are you sure it's not a scuff or bit of hair or something?

sorry for being so dumb , but is it a picture of the sky we are looking at above ?? because if it is it looks like something smudged on the sensor , but there is also a lot of crap in the corners ,id go along with what steep says and try cleaning it again ,it took me quite a few attempts to get my d50 chip clean

Hi Elvis

This might seem a bit of a coincidence but I bought the green clean sytem too, followed intructions to the letter, and got a scratch in exactly the same place on my 20d, its most definately a scratch on mine I was gutted, like you said its not noticeable unless I use long exposures on skies, but its a wierd coincidence.
I was thinking about buying more swabs from them as i used them all trying to get rid of the damn scratch :wacky: but now I think I'll try something else.

Wayne

Elvis, with the greatest respect, if that's a picture of a sensor that has just been cleaned I'd have to question your cleaning method and/or the environment you're doing it in. Apart from the apparent scratch there seems to be quite a lot of other debris showing so maybe another attempt may remove both that and the 'scratch'.

Trying to get rid of ONE scratch can end up with very many more scratches... as long-time members here can vouch for with my past experience.

My problem was i wanted it perfect and wouldnt accept the tiniest mark..........ending up with a completely buggered up sensor.

If it doesnt go with the next try... either get it done professionally or leave it.

You wont see it 99% of the time unless using F22 or more and photographing the sky.. specially as it as the bottom.. that will normally be land in the photo.

Thanks all for your comments, i am going to take it to the shop where i got the cleaner system from and get them to clean it again for me then take it from there, i suppose we all strive to keep our kit as clean as possible but sometimes you can be paronoid about a few spots.
Does anybody think the arctic butterfly is a better way of cleaning the sensor than this wet and dry option?

[..]

Does anybody think the arctic butterfly is a better way of cleaning the sensor than this wet and dry option?

It depends on the type of stuff on the sensor. Dust bunnies can be removed with an Artic Butterfly or similar dusting technique, but greasy marks/stuck on nasties need the swab-and-eclipse, wet cleaning approach.

Anthony.

Hello fellow El fan,
Photographers are like Hi Fi buffs the difference being one looks for scratches and the other listens for them. Re the marks on the sensor its easy enough to remove them in photoshop,…… look at the picture not the spots.

That looks like it could be just a smudged gunge deposit. Hard to tell but good luck. It's easy to get paranoid about dust on the sensor, but I never worry about the odd spot or two - they're so easy to deal with compared to dust spots on negs or prints.

If it is really a scratch then no amount of cleaning will fix it no matter what method is used. If it is a scratch-like smudge then you have a chance.

Personally, I'd fix it with a touch of ebay - then buy a replacement :D

Its actually not the sensor inself but the plate over the sensor that would be scratched but still not cheep im sure.
Sorry for your woes.

when mine was replaced by a canon repair centre.. although we all know it is just the glass.. they say they can only replace the whole sensor... which cost over £300 :(

For the past year or so, I've used a combination of a rocker blower and a Copperhill sensor brush which is a good alternative to the pricey Arctic. A good blast of the blower and a couple of passes of the brush leave the sensor 98% clean. If I shoot less than f/16 (i.e. rarely) then only a little clone tooling is needed.

when mine was replaced by a canon repair centre.. although we all know it is just the glass.. they say they can only replace the whole sensor... which cost over £300 :(

Pricing is astro nomical ...
When they do ir conversions they remove the glass dont they and then the filter and replace the glass??
Or is the filter in the glass?

Elvis, the Sensor Brush by Copperhill may have it's uses but I don't think it's going to help you much. Electro-statically charged brushes are fine for attracting and removing loose dust from your sensor but the 'sticky' type debris that you appear to have requires a different approach. As you've already cleaned your sensor with wet and dry swabs from Green Clean I have to agree with Janice - have one more attempt (after using a Rocket blower or whatever to be sure there's nothing on your sensor which could scratch it) and if that doesn't work have it professionally cleaned. Personally, I'm not convinced that mark is a scratch as it certainly looks more like smeared grease or dirt or whatever, but ones thing sure in my mind, a brush isn't going to remove it.

is the copperhill sensor brush available in th uk?

I bought mine from the USA site - took about 4 days or so to arrive. Hopefully, you just have a smudge and not a scratch. I found I had these smudges after using sensor swabs (mostly due to me being a tad vigorous in swabbing).

Back