Scratching the itch again - Sony Mirrorless?

Edit My Images
No
Hi

I have not had a camera for about 18 months now, we had a new baby and my Sony A6300 just wasn't getting used enough so I sold it. However, after 18 months of using an iPhone 11, I feel I want some better quality images. The iPhone ones are ok but they are nowhere near what I used to get from the Sony.

My thoughts are a Sony A6100 with Sony 35mm F1.8 OSS to start with as I am familiar with Sony and got some great results with this lens in the past. Would then perhaps look for something a little wider because 35mm on the APS-C is not going to be very wide.

I tend to buy used as you can usually flog it for similar to what you paid even 2-3 years down the line so can pick this setup up for about £750 ish.

I toyed with the Idea of a Panasonic TZ100 but I don't feel this is going to get me enough of a step up from the iPhone.

Most shots will be family stuff, days out and pictures of the kid indoors. I have a GoPro 9 for video but will probably use the Sony for video from time to time.

Does this seem logical? Have I overlooked any other decent camera/lens combos?

I can't be dealing with the weight and size of a DSLR

Thanks

One option would be to look at the Tamron 17-70 f/2.8 Di III-A VC RXD - it will be a bit more than the Sony prime, and is f/2.8 rather than f/1.8, but gives you the wider angle (as well as longer reach) for when you want it, and the flexibility of a zoom might be handy (particularly for catching kids, who'll never be at the right spot for the prime you have fitted :LOL: )

I have a TZ100 and they aren't bad, a little behind Micro Four Thirds but smaller and with that long zoom.

On a lens for an A6xxx one possibility could be the FF Sony 28mm f2. I have one on FF and it seems like a nice lens and it's very fast to focus but of course on APS-C it'll be the equivalent of 42mm.

Back