screen / pc

Name
Neil
Edit My Images
No
One of those issues where my screen just isn't showing enough variation in whites/blacks/greys so im thinking i need a new screen or do i think sod it go apple and get an imac.

I used to swear by Windows but after getting my Macbook I really do prefer using my Mac, never thought I'd ever bother getting one but I think Apple have a brighter future than what Microsoft do when it comes to Operating Systems etc

mac screens aren't the best for displaying and editing photos (although I still love my iMac)

Dell U2412M and U2413 are widely touted as the best bang for your buck if you're sticking with a machine you can output to.

I'm considering Mac Mini with a couple of non-apple screens, but I think the abundance of extra (and legacy) software for Windows is making it a tough choice

No need to go Apple.

Dell Ultrasharp screens, are very good. The 24" ones are really cheap these days.

LG Ultrawide IPS screens are also really nice. I fell in love with the 29" one soon as I got it setup. I use it alongside my Dell and the colours are just as awesome. Ultrawide is also awesome and I am now looking at getting a 2nd one.

i have an IPS screen at the moment that is suppoosed to be on par with the LG's using same boards. Im not sure they are actually as detailed as the mac screens.
The dells are probably worth looking at, 24" isn't big enough i am affraid i will be looking at 27"+

i have an IPS screen at the moment that is suppoosed to be on par with the LG's using same boards. Im not sure they are actually as detailed as the mac screens.
The dells are probably worth looking at, 24" isn't big enough i am affraid i will be looking at 27"+

No idea what your budget is, but the Dell U2713H (not HM.. that's discontinued now) is a fabulous screen, and can be properly hardware calibrated at the screen's LUT level with the i1 Display Pro using Dell's own software.

Buying a nice screen and not calibrating it is really quite silly... so budget for that too. If you do go for the above, you'll need the i1 Display Pro to hardware calibrate it... but the i1 Display Pro would be my recommendation anyway, no matter what screen. Great device.

Last edited:
LCD panels age... usual signs are poor definition of dark tones, and differentiation in extreme highlight tones. Yellow tint to saturated highlights is another symptom. It's not unusual for a panel to age beyond the ability to calibrate well after 5 years or so.

Having said that... I had a Dell U2405 that was still serviceable after 8 years... but they do age.

Last edited:
I have an IPS panel at the moment so aware of the differences just wanted to see what real people have and how they work for them

I have an IPS panel at the moment so aware of the differences just wanted to see what real people have and how they work for them

Currently using a Eizo ColorEdge CG303W. Hardware calibrated using Eizo Color Navigator and a i1 Display Pro.

Have you tried a side-by-side comparison with an apple screen compared to your existing screen?

A retina screen will be more finely detailed than a standard resolution screen, but if that's what you want then it would still be more cost effective to buy a 3rd part 4K or higher resolution screen. It is unlikely that a correctly calibrated apple screen will show better tonal detail than a correctly calibrated quality 3rd party screen. Also worth asking if the tonal detail you're after shows up on a print where it doesn't on a monitor?

Not tried the print. For example on my retina iPad I can see different levels of black's I can't see on my monitor. I can see more black's on my monitor than i can with my cheaper TV

Is the iPad also calibrated?

My work monitor (Dell U2412M) is calibrated, but I can see less detail in different shades of black than I can on this old Samsung TN panel monitor I'm using, because it's a bit too bright in the darker tones. If you want to see more detail in the blacks then you can tweak the calibration: if you're not planning to print & only ever show the world your images electronically anyway then it doesn't matter, because their screens are all uncalibrated, and images will look different to them anyway. Food for thought.

Have you visited one of those monitor calibration sites that allow you to visually check your monitor? That way, even if you are apparently electronically calibrated, you can perform a visual check to see what's working for your eyes in your working environment.
http://www.lagom.nl/lcd-test/
http://www.imaging-resource.com/ARTS/MONCAL/CALIBRATE.HTM

That the iPad is not calibrated is one point. Anyway if the problem ist that you can't see details in the black, be sure you darken down your room light and calibrate your screen to it. Therefore, you need a colorimeter with ambient light sensor like Spyder5Pro or Elite. (Spyder5/4/3 Express haven't got such a sensor).

PS: Sry for my late reply, was on holidays for two weeks. ;-)

Back