Screen protector/ anti glare

Edit My Images
No
Hi, I got really fed up with not being able to see anything on the EVF in bright sunlight so I bought one of those anti glare screen protectors. Now the problem is that the image is so grainy due to the protector that it’s impossible to see if a shot is in focus or not.

Any suggestions?

I had the same issue. Eventually got so pee'd off with the anti-glare screen that I have removed it. Just deciding if I should bother replacing it with a clear one or not bother at all.

EVF is an 'Electronic View Finder', employed mostly I believe on Micro-Four-Thirds 'pseudo' SLR's or 'mirrorless'; to give an SLR like peep-hole view finder without a periscope mechanism looking through the lens

I 'think' what you are talking about as your info suggests a D90 SLR and a coolpix compact, is simply a 'back-screen'

And I can empathize with glare on them. It was actually glare on back-screen only compact cameras that made me eventually take the plunge into digital SLR, so I didn't have to suffer it... because I used the SLR periscope view-finder not the back-screen, which when its 'on' on my camera shows the aperture and shutter and ISO 'settings' and other info I probably dont need to know, and or can still see in the optical view-finder I paid that premium to have on a camera!!!

Hence, fitting a back-screen protector to my widgetal camera is mainly to protect the screen from damage, like a teenagers mobile-phone! And I seldom suffer 'glare' because of it, because I'm using the optical viewfinder I paid the extra to have in an SLR, and not holding the thing at arms length like a mobile phone, wobbling around all over!

So suggestions? Try using the optical view-finder that makes an SLR an SLR, perhaps?

If on the compact? Well, my solution, when I encountered such dire glare, was simply to shoot wide, and shoot blind and crop after if needed; or shade screen with my hand, or shift my view-point a little.. or to use a different camera... like the SLR!

Thank you all for your replies. My apologies, and yes you’re correct, I was referring to the LCD not the EVF. I realised this in the middle of the night with a flash and was going to edit my post (weird how your brain works sometimes!)

The problem is both when focusing but also during ‘playback’ checking if a shot is any good. It’s very irritating. Teflon-Mike, you’re right - for taking the shot it’s fine to resort to the EVF but that doesn’t work for playback or for movie setting (although I don’t use that very much).

And it seems I need to update my profile info - my query relates to my new Fuji X- T20....

Box Brownie- I had not seen these flippy shades before, will take a look if they exist for the Fuji...

Best combination, a GGS LARMOR glass screen protector and a Hoodman Loupe, or just a Hoodman Loupe if you don't want the protection.

https://shop.hoodmanusa.com/category-s/128.htm
IMO hoodman product looks good for use as a video eyepiece but as LCD screen are really only good as guide for "have I got the shot focused...." using a magnifier to enlarge it is questionable???

IMO hoodman product looks good for use as a video eyepiece but as LCD screen are really only good as guide for "have I got the shot focused...." using a magnifier to enlarge it is questionable???

Not exactly sure what you mean by a video eyepiece etc.

The Hoodman is the best way to check an image on the LCD screen on the back of your camera. It cuts out all light and yes it does magnify things slightly but thats the entire image and that's hardly questionable. And yes it's also very good for checking everything is focused.

I've been using one for many years on landscape shoots etc and a lot of people who have tried mine have since purchased one.

Just a thought, but have you tried increasing the brightness of the rear screen? I had a similar issue whilst shooting on a bright day and I found that this made matters much better.

Back