Screw in filter with Lee holder question

Name
Lynne
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all

I'm hoping that one of you smart cookies will have a simple solution to my question cos I've given myself a headache thinking about it :help:

So , I use the Lee filter system .

I've now been given a Screw in variable ND to try out ,77mm thread so it fits all my lenses . It has an internal thread so you can add other screw in filters to it .

But being me , I'd like to use it with my Lee filters because I don't want to buy a set of screw in filters when the Lee ones are my preferred choice .
I've tested this variable filter on it's own on some sheltered water falls & it works a treat but to use it in the open when shooting say a Seascape or in the Lake District I really need to be able to use a grad filter as well plus I love the Lee polariser so want to be able to attach that .

However

the Lee filter adapter ( that fits to the lens & then takes the filter holder ) will not fit over this screw in filter & as it has no internal thread I can't screw the variable ND in to it . The variable filter has no outer screw thread .

So , any sensible suggestions please ?

Or is it really a case of " it can't be done " ?

thanks in advance

Lynne:)

I'm not sure it can be done...

Screwing multiple filters on top of eachother can lead on vignetting too. I tend to use either screw in filters or my Lee filters, depending on how much kit I want to take with me.

You could possibly fit a 105-77mm step down ring onto your Lee polariser and then attach the variable ND....keep in mind that it may be so far forwards that the vignetting will be unacceptable.

I'm not sure it can be done...

Screwing multiple filters on top of eachother can lead on vignetting too. I tend to use either screw in filters or my Lee filters, depending on how much kit I want to take with me.

You could possibly fit a 105-77mm step down ring onto your Lee polariser and then attach the variable ND....keep in mind that it may be so far forwards that the vignetting will be unacceptable.

If the variable filter has no front thread, then nope, there's no way of attaching the filter system to it.

Sorry for my slow reply chaps .....I'll try the step down ring & see what happens.
Really frustrating as the variable filter is a sweet bit of kit

Not sure how well a variable ND will work with a polariser - IIRC, variable NDs are basically a pair of polarisers whose cross polarisation alters the amount of light that can pass through so adding a 3rd level of polarisation might not be altogether successful. It MIGHT be that the variable ND could be used to get the same effect as a polariser (but it is equally possible that it can't!)
If all else fails, an 82mm Lee adaptor might slip over a 77mm fit filter but might need some extra means of attachment, especially for the sort of long exposures you're after.

In my case it is a £3.50 100 mm filter holder + adapter rings. Mine are similar to Lee and came with a £13 ring light I bought. I use 58/77/82 mm and they work just fine.
The only two provisos are to remember that, at wide angles: 1. The more bits you add the more it is likely to vignette. 2. If you are putting a variable/adjustable filter (variable ND/CPL etc) between your lens and holder remember to hold the adjustable filter if you need to rotate the main filter holder - hope that makes sense!

Let's just say you could very happily merge a couple of exposures in post with very fine control and never need to use the plastic fantastic ever again. No outer thread means no plastic fantastic on top one way or another.

You can mount 105mm polarizer to your filterholder on the adapter ring you mount on the front of the holder. This adapter ring can be used with step-down rings as described but you'll have to remove at least one slot and will face some problems. 1 using a step-down ring a cm or more out from the lens WILL cause vignetting on wider lenses. 2 having the gap between filter and lens will cause false light at higher densities. The little - big- and super stoppers require mounting tight, closest to the lens to prevent this.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back