Screw in Filters

P-E

Name
Ian
Edit My Images
Yes
Need a little advice please......

I would like to purchase a few filters and at the moment I am undecided as to if it will be the screw in type or go down the road of the LEE Filter system:thinking:

At the moment I am leaning towards the screw in type (HOYA PRO1 Digital) as I like to keep the hood on the lens and this I can do and still manage to fiddle with the CP.

The ones I have seen are the following;
77mm WB PL-CIR
77mm ND4.......Approx cost for the two £230.00 (thats UK price...obviously cheaper if I sourced them from HK).

I also would like a Graduated filter but cannot see one in the PRO range......anyone know if there is one available:shrug:

Anyone any experience of stacking screw in filters?

The LEE System would cost me approx £450.00 for what I would want.

Any advice/help appreciated as ever(y)

don't think anybody makes a screw in grad, if they do, it won't be much use as you need the up/down movement to position the graduation in the frame properly.......

Gandhi said:
don't think anybody makes a screw in grad, if they do, it won't be much use as you need the up/down movement to position the graduation in the frame properly.......

Argh no wonder I can't find one:bonk:

Just found out BW do do a screw in Grad filter

The LEE system has holder/hood combinations... I have just such a thing which I no longer use. PM me an offer if you want it. I'll check what filters I have as well, as they never get used either...

Hey thanks for the offer Arkady........but I am still leaning towards screw in even though no option of a Grad.

I think some other forum members will be interested in what you have though.;)

Do you not use the Lee filters at at all now then?

Nope - all digital now. I prefer to shoot straight images in RAW and do any manipulation in CS2 afterwards.
The filters were all bought for my medium-format work on the Pentax 6x7.

Well in the end I splashed out a few hundred on the Lee Filter system so I will see what they are like when they come.

And please feed back your opinion of them, as I am looking to go down the Lee route myself.

Matt said:
And please feed back your opinion of them, as I am looking to go down the Lee route myself.

Yes will do Matt......only heard good things of them so far reading around the net.

Finished up purchasing the starter kit from Warehouse Express and the Adapter Ring, Polariser Ring and CP filter from a place called Studio Kit Direct.

Will see what they are like when they turn up tomorrow.

All you need now is a 3 stop neutral density filter, in full and grad.

Don't bother with coloured ones, as that can be done digitally

Forgot what was in the starter kit but I also ordered a ND 0.6.

If I like them and they work for me I will go for a complete set of the ND and Grads..........o and I like the look of the mist set.

I was all for buying the Lee CP but after talking to the guy at Studio Kit I went for the 105 mm Heliopan slim.

Well everything turned up today.

First impressions.........they certainly look quality products and well presented in the Lee holders.

Had a quick play and the only problem for me is when turning the CP........which is huge!

The problem being that I have to turn it with one hand while holding the whole assembly with the other......if I don't the whole assembly turns as well.

I thought there might be some sort of locking device that would hold it firmly in place..........not a problem on a tripod but hand held things could get tricky.

Will hopefully get to have more of a play this weekend.

Back