Scuffed prints

Name
Scott
Edit My Images
Yes
Urgh...

My guillotine is slightly scuffing my prints as a trim them down to size. Any way of getting scuffs out of inkjet prints on silk fine art paper??

Just as importantly, how are you supposed to trim your prints in a guillotine without scuffing them??

How long after printing are you cutting them??? So many great papers these days but often oh so delicate

not 24 hours latest in the latest case.... :eggface: also had a completely self inflicted incident yesterday where I'd not put the paper catcher out and had a chair pressed up against the printer output... :banghead:

But yep, I know I should leave it 24 hours and usually do. It's whether I can do anything to recover these ones really. Can only see it's been scuffed when you look at an angle and it's not a scrape or anything more than superficial.

Ditch the guillotine and go deckle edge happy!!

On a serious note, I'm not sure what you mean by "scuff". Is it the sort of guillotine that has a rolling blade and it's the housing that's scratching the print? Or is it a choppy down blade thing?

Hmm, deckle edge... hadn't considered that!

rolling blade and it's as you slide the paper under the plastic paper clamp... thing....

It's not as harsh as a scratch - so it hasn't dented the surface or lifted any ink - I guess it's just slightly crushed the paper fibres? Might see the marks on this pic...?

Attachments

• 20191111_185457 (002).jpg
    20191111_185457 (002).jpg
    441.7 KB · Views: 47
How old is the guillotine?

rolling blade and it's as you slide the paper under the plastic paper clamp... thing....

Ah. I have a Fiskars one and the paper clamp thing lifts up. I tend to always make sure the bit I press down on is the waste bit rather than the printed bit. Sorry can't be more help, but a bit of deckle edging (if you have a cotton based paper) can work nicely. There's some good YouTube videos on it.

Edit to add Nick Carver to the rescue...
View: https://youtu.be/ijabXZ3O-lI?t=255

Whichever route you go down, you absolutely should not use a plastic ruler with any blade.

At the very least it should have a metal edge, but preferably be all metal.

When I did my fist work experience at a design agency I was asked to cut something out. I used a normal ruler and the blade cut into the plastic, rode up the ruler and took a massive slice out of my finger as well as the corner of my nail.

Never done it again mind.

Ideally it should be M shaped so that you fingers sit in the central groove.

OP can you have a peice of thin plain paper between the image and the plastic strip when sliding in and cutting?

Back