SD Card - Best Practice?

Name
Joe
Edit My Images
Yes
Morning All,

With an SD card, once I have imported all of the images from it that I need into Lr or onto my storage devices from my latest shoot, what is the best practice to get the card ready for my new time of use (i.e clear)?

Is is best to manually delete the files from my SD card through the finder app on my iMac, until empty or is It better to format the SD card fully in the camera each time? I just wondered whether formatting it every time you want a clean card can cause any issues?

Many Thanks :)

I do both at different times. They both have the same effect on the card. If I am emptying the card on my iMac I just delete the DCIM folder - the camera will replace this automatically.

I’ve always heard it’s best to format the card in camera and never delete individual images from the SD card.

I just copy the images to the computer and format the SD card in camera. I try to format the card after every upload otherwise there are lots of old images to untick (the ones that would have been culled from previous uploads).

Thank you every one for your help, very much appreciated :)

Deleting the files you are shown doesn't delete all hidden items to do with indexing or whatever.
There is a slight increased chance of some kind of failure if you don't format in camera periodically.
It seems just as easy to routinely do that after downloading but missing the odd time should be fine.
Deleting one or two duds as you go seems to cause problems sometimes and is best avoided.

Deleting the files you are shown doesn't delete all hidden items to do with indexing or whatever.
There is a slight increased chance of some kind of failure if you don't format in camera periodically.
It seems just as easy to routinely do that after downloading but missing the odd time should be fine.
Deleting one or two duds as you go seems to cause problems sometimes and is best avoided.

Thank you for the tips :)

I format in camera once certain the LR upload is o.k .been doing like that for 20+ years without a problem

Format in camera, I've heard it said many a time that doing anything else can lead to errors.

Thank everyone for your advice, I will format in camera once I have everything over :)

If you're working with multiple bodies would it be advisable to only use spare cards that have been formatted in the specific camera? I'm often shooting with 3 x bodies and multiple spare cards formatted in camera not necessarily formatted in the body they end up in. Not had a problem thus far but just wondering what others think?

GC

Back