SD card for newbie

Name
Sam
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi all,

The good people of UPS brought me my Nikon D5300 this morning so, as you would expect, I've spent most of the day trying to figure everything out.
Now, I have a few SD cards knocking about but was wondering if anyone could suggest a reasonably-priced SD card for the camera? - I understand 'data speed' is fairly important with DSLRs but unsure to what's reasonable and what isn't. Any brands to steer clear of? Is eBay a good place to buy SD cards or are they all likely to be counterfeit?

Cheers, Sam

Never buy SD cards from eBay i find sanDisk good from Amazon a good place and at a good price

Never buy SD cards from eBay i find sanDisk good from Amazon a good place and at a good price

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I'm guessing your advice regarding eBay is due to the possibility of counterfeits? If so, surely the same applied to buying on Amazon doesn't it?

Cheers, Sam

Sandisk and Lexar provided they are genuine. I personally would steer clear of the rest at whatever price.

Hi Mark / Ian,

Thanks for your suggestions, do I need to be aiming for any minimum class / speed?

Cheers, Sam

I gave up using Sandisk after faulty memory cards cause loss of photos. I now use Samsung SDHC memory card and have had no problems in the last two years of using them.

Sandisk and Lexar provided they are genuine. I personally would steer clear of the rest at whatever price.
Very narrow view.

For example, Samsung do some very good high capacity, high speed cards at competitive prices.

I've got a mix, Sandisc, Lexar, Transcend, Samsung and a few cheaper ones. Never had a failure.

I use what works and is reliable and fast.

Cant afford to lose shots/cards.

I am not alone in that view.

Hi,

What speed / class should I be looking at getting?

Agree with general opinion. Never had a problem with SanDisk. Though have had a couple of dodge sd's off Ebay.. not Ebays fault..

No real need to go for the big capacity SD's, unless you are going on holiday without a device to save photos. I find its good to have an empty sd card to go on mission.

However that's your choice.

Mj

For me the speed with which the buffer clears is very important, so the speed of the card is crucial along with the download speeds when I have four to download (The Lexar hub system is awesome, but OTT for many people). Coupled of course with cost.

I tend to go for fairly large capacities, but the costs can become excessive, if it is not business related. So you need to cut your cloth accordingly.

And also determine whether you are going to shoot any video as that will impact too. Probably aim for 90Mbs+ as slower ones are getting old hat.

For me the speed with which the buffer clears is very important, so the speed of the card is crucial along with the download speeds when I have four to download (The Lexar hub system is awesome, but OTT for many people). Coupled of course with cost.

I tend to go for fairly large capacities, but the costs can become excessive, if it is not business related. So you need to cut your cloth accordingly.

And also determine whether you are going to shoot any video as that will impact too. Probably aim for 90Mbs+ as slower ones are getting old hat.

Hi,

My photography will be purely for pleasure so I'd like to try and keep on the cheaper 'hobby' side of things if I can. I can't see me ever doing video so that won't be an issue. What 'class' would would 90mbs be then? - I notice they all seem to be advertised by class.

Cheers, Sam

I use what works and is reliable and fast.

Cant afford to lose shots/cards.

I am not alone in that view.
I don't disagree. But there are lots of cards that fit that criteria.

Go for class 10 cards they seem to be the norm now. Myself, as I have dual slots I prefer to stick to 16gb cards as if one fails I dont have a huge amount on there and carry spares rather than buying and using high capacity 64gb etc........ I would rather change cards more often.

I have had Lexar Proffesional fail on me, a x600 one if I remeber correctly. I use the Sandisk extrem pro 95mbs now.

Have a look on Amazon but only buy from them and not market sellers unless they are a well known company.

Hi,

My photography will be purely for pleasure so I'd like to try and keep on the cheaper 'hobby' side of things if I can. I can't see me ever doing video so that won't be an issue. What 'class' would would 90mbs be then? - I notice they all seem to be advertised by class.

Cheers, Sam

Hi,

Cheers, Sam

I only use my camera for pleasure too, but I have used SD cards in a camcorder and a couple of digital compacts, micro SD cards in phones and tablets and Compact Flash cards in my old 5D Mk II and have always used Sandisk without issues. I've recently swapped from a FF DSLR to a Fuji X-T1 and have purchased a couple of 16Gb Sandisk Extreme Pro SD cards (95mbps).

I've never bought cards larger than 16Gb, my theory being that if they do corrupt, I would potentially lose more shots and the replacement costs would be higher.

Sandisk and Lexar provided they are genuine. I personally would steer clear of the rest at whatever price
I have no loyalties to any manufacturer. If my Samsung cards let me down like the Sandisk cards did I'll quickly change brands.

Hi,

Thank you for your reply. I'm guessing your advice regarding eBay is due to the possibility of counterfeits? If so, surely the same applied to buying on Amazon doesn't it?

Cheers, Sam
Amazon is fine provided you buy from them direct and not any 3rd party or fulfilled by amazon sellers.

Tesco have loads of offers on sd cards at the minute Sandisk extreme 65mbs 32gb are only £13

Back