Beginner SD card full?

Name
Helen Hooper
Edit My Images
No
Hi everyone, this is my first time on here and I hope someone can help. I've been using my Victure HC500 trailcam for about 6 months with great results. However, last night I put it out as usual, it used 40% of it's battery, but I can't find a single video! The batteries were fully charged, and everything else works just fine. I'm wondering if my SD card is full, but I don't know how to tell. I assumed that I would get a message to say, but I've had nothing. It is a 128GB SDXC SanDisk ultra formatted to 'FAT32'. There are 2405 15 second videos on it. Any ideas would be very welcome. Thanks in advance

Can FAT32 format a 128 Gig card? I might be wrong but thought the limit for FAT32 was 32Gig.

To see details of the SD card put the card into a card reader and plug the reader into you PC/laptop/whatever device you use to view the videos. Open your file manager and right click on the the card and then select Properties.

Everyone is different but I don't keep any videos on the card in my trail camera. I copy any that I want to keep onto my hard drive, the rest are deleted everyday.

Dave

If you’ve never deleted anything off of it, then yes, it’s probably full. Over 2000 clips is quite a lot.

Best to format it ideally in the camera menu to fully clear it - after downloading what you want to keep.
Deleting is Ok but can run into problems eventually if you try to only delete some

Can FAT32 format a 128 Gig card? I might be wrong but thought the limit for FAT32 was 32Gig.

Hi Dave, you are right ... and wrong :) There are a small number of applications that let you format drives and cards to FAT32 irrespective of their capacity. I have a 1TB HDD that is formatted like this connected to a data logger that requires FAT32 formatted storage.

Thanks everyone. I'll try downloading all of the videos onto an external hard drive and see if that works.

As to the 128GB SD card in FAT32, I couldn't buy a card that big, so I bought the card and formatted it myself to FAT32 which worked fine

Back