SD card images when loaded onto laptop look fine for a couple of seconds but then change and look "washed out"??

Name
Matt Brookes
Edit My Images
Yes
Just bought Canon R7. Been taking photos last day or so but whenever I load them onto my laptop photo viewer or Luminar they initially look fine but after a couple of seconds loose colour / contrast and look for want of a better word look "washed out". This does not happen with images taken on my 7D MkII.

Does anyone have any ideas what the issue is and what the solution might be?

It's something I've noticed with Windows image viewer when looking at .jpg files too, with the image changing after a couple of seconds. No idea why that should be.

I've got something rattling around in the back of my brain about installing Adobe DNG converter when you mention this happening in Luminar?? But since you say it happens in other software, the rattling is probably another loose screw rather than a sensible suggestion..... :D

Just a guess, sounds like the photo viewer starts with the embedded jpg then switches to the raw file. Raw files always need processing to produce your final image.
Umm will try taking just JPEGs and see what that does,

Just a guess, sounds like the photo viewer starts with the embedded jpg then switches to the raw file. Raw files always need processing to produce your final image.
OK that makes sense. Its a pity it does that as the JPEG looks like real life and the RAW looks odd. Will continue to investigate and will see how my 7DII is set up. Thank you

OK that makes sense. Its a pity it does that as the JPEG looks like real life and the RAW looks odd. Will continue to investigate and will see how my 7DII is set up. Thank you
without any processing, raws always look odd. It could be that Luminar has a default processing setup for your 7DII raws (.CR2?) but not for the R7 (.CR3) ?

A Raw will always require processing, they do look very flat and dull before you've done anything to them. A Jpeg always has some level of processing baked in. Process the Raw to your taste rather than letting the camera Jpeg make a lot of decisions for you.

without any processing, raws always look odd. It could be that Luminar has a default processing setup for your 7DII raws (.CR2?) but not for the R7 (.CR3) ?
I think you could be right going to have a play - thank you

A Raw will always require processing, they do look very flat and dull before you've done anything to them. A Jpeg always has some level of processing baked in. Process the Raw to your taste rather than letting the camera Jpeg make a lot of decisions for you.
Thank you. My 7DII worked perfectly with Luminar so I'm going to try shooting Jpeg to see if that makes any difference

Back