SD card problem

Name
Alan
Edit My Images
No
Ejected my card from the camera and this is what happened. Any body else had this? :(

IMG_1173.JPG

I agree with you, Neil. I much prefer CF cards which are much more robust, but the EOS-M will only take SD.

Not had a very good couple of weeks. First we found a split forming in our heating oil tank and waiting for that to be replaced and then the other day I took a chunk out of my quartz worktop. Yesterday I took some pics with my EOS-M and the card came out like that, happy days...:banana:

Can you still get your files off the card ?
How old is it - I'm sure it should be replaced with a new one if under warranty ???

I agree with you, Neil. I much prefer CF cards which are much more robust, but the EOS-M will only take SD.

Not had a very good couple of weeks. First we found a split forming in our heating oil tank and waiting for that to be replaced and then the other day I took a chunk out of my quartz worktop. Yesterday I took some pics with my EOS-M and the card came out like that, happy days...:banana:

Well, they say it comes in 3's - so hopefully that's it's for a while :)

Can you still get your files off the card ?
How old is it - I'm sure it should be replaced with a new one if under warranty ???

Yes, I was able to get the files off the card, in fact there were only six which I had taken to send to a worktop repairer to show the extent of the damage.

The card is almost five years old. I emailed Transcend and asked if it is covered by their lifetime warranty, (the one I bought yesterday is) they replied asking for images of the card, (which can be seen in my opening post), they have just come back and said they will look in to giving me a replacement, will keep you posted.

Yes, I was able to get the files off the card, in fact there were only six which I had taken to send to a worktop repairer to show the extent of the damage.

The card is almost five years old. I emailed Transcend and asked if it is covered by their lifetime warranty, (the one I bought yesterday is) they replied asking for images of the card, (which can be seen in my opening post), they have just come back and said they will look in to giving me a replacement, will keep you posted.

That's good news and hopefully you'll get a replacement:)

I had a chip off the corner of an SD card. The result was neither the camera nor the computer would read it. I had to cellotape the fragment back on, copy the images across and then, after formatting the card multiple times, chopped it up and chucked it away.

A quick update. Transcend have agreed to replace my damaged card, which is great service considering it's age....:clap:

I have one of their cards (64 Gb) sd card which developed a fault.
I had more than 900 shots on it but it seems like 150 or so of them are corrupted.
I can not transfer them to my hd or import to lightroom.
I might need to contact them.
How did you get in touch regarding the replacement? I don't think I can trust this sd card again for a new photoshoot.

I have one of their cards (64 Gb) sd card which developed a fault.
I had more than 900 shots on it but it seems like 150 or so of them are corrupted.
I can not transfer them to my hd or import to lightroom.
I might need to contact them.
How did you get in touch regarding the replacement? I don't think I can trust this sd card again for a new photoshoot.

I filled out a complaints form at the link below.

http://uk.transcend-info.com/Support/contact_form

Filled the form now. Let's see what will they say.
How long did they take before getting back to you?

On the one hand SD cards are flimsy and break easily (I lost 3 in the last couple of weeks) but on the other hand Compact Flash cards don't break, but the slots they plug into can do (with bent/broken pins), and that's a lot more frustrating to deal with than a broken SD card.

I still use both but tend to regard SD cards are consumables with a relatively short lifespan

Filled the form now. Let's see what will they say.
How long did they take before getting back to you?

They replied within the hour saying someone would contact me within one working day. I had an email the following day giving me what they refer to as a "case number", which would be used in all future correspondence. I have to say, so far I have had brilliant service from the person I have been dealing with.

Further update.

I received an email yesterday (4th) saying they had recieved my damaged card and were waiting for the replacement to be sent to them, which would be posted to me as soon as they get it.

I am on holiday at the moment, so won't be home until Friday 11th, but will keep the thread posted with any updates...:)

I only use Sandisk, never had the slightest problem with any of them I use.

Modern production imo, i.e poor weld/glue, thats normally ultrasonic welding now.. Imo CF cards are just as prone to damage, only when a pin snaps you have a BIG problem, tbh I'd rather not remove cards but speed needs must over USB, OK if you have a 1DX and Cat5 :) don't even get me started with WiFi speeds with big RAW files.. (or my slow old router/switch anyway)

Good service on changing it for you though! And at least it did not get stuck in your camera or damage the slot.

Last edited:
I've found Sandisk cards break just as easily as any of the cheaper brands/non-branded cards.

I prefer to buy cheap 16GB SD Cards so that when they do break I'm not losing a lot.

This was my first non-sandisk card and I usually use the smaller 16GB ones. I never had a problem with them.
But I wanted to try this 64GB Transcend and it caused me some problems.
Well, they are exchanging it now. I will see how will this one perform.

I haven't had any issues over the years with Sandisk. I've heard a few people complain about Transcend. With the prices that are out there these days it seems a false economy to save a couple of quid and buy a less robust card. Perhaps i've just been lucky!

A quick update to this thread.

I received my replacement card from Transcend today and all is working well, am very happy...:D

Back