SD Card Storage

Name
David
Edit My Images
No
Folks, I was wondering if anyone could recommend a storage case/pouch for numerous SD cards so that I can keep them all in the one place?

I tend to keep my used SD cards once the are filled (mainly as an extra back up) and I'm looking for suggestions for card storage, rather than the variety of soft pouches/toss them into the back of the box system that I currently haphazardly use.

Cheers!

Thanks for the reply guys, much appreciated.

Ideally I was looking for something that had a slightly bigger capacity but at that price three will no doubt do me for what I currently have, and for what I will have by the end of the year. Since it comes highly recommended I'll order them tomorrow - thanks again!

I have two card cases, the first was this Delkin case that stores 8 SD cards. It's not too bad but the cards can work lose which can mean cards can fall out when opening. The hinges also to be a little too flimsy and potentially could break in time.

Buying a new camera meant I then had both SD and CF cards to store. I purchased this 4 CF/ 8 SD card case. It's built better, the hinges and lock are much better. It holds the cards securely and I've yet have any fall out or come loose. I currently store 4 CF cards and 4 SD cards in this case without any problems. I could probably store 4 more SD cards in the empty slots. If I was to purchase a card case again knowing what I now know I would purchase the dual SD/CF case again. It has much better build, holds the cards better and if you ever need it to hold CF cards it can.

Another vote for the 7dayshop case, if you are concerned about the durability of the hinge, use a piece of gaffer tape on them, but as you are looking at it for long term/back up storage, I shouldn't imagine they will be opened too often.

Having read you opening post again can I ask if you fill the SD cards only once and after transferring the files you keep them as backup storage to your computer?

Personally I format both SD and CF cards after transferring the files to my computer. I have two external hard drives set up to automatically backup the new files. External hard drive are much cheaper than SD and CF cards when you compare price per GB. 1TB and 2TB external hard drives are a lot cheaper than the same size equivalent SD cards.

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions, your input is much appreciated.

To Rob, yes currently I do fill the SD cards once then archive them. After each shoot I transfer the files to my iMac. I have two external HDs (one for all iMac system files, the other solely for my photo files) which back up every night. Sometimes I do wonder though if I should be wiping and reusing my SD cards once they are full, like you do, as you're right about the cost per GB.

I suppose I see the cost of SD cards as a justifiable expense for extra piece of mind, especially with 32gb Transcend cards on Amazon for £9.99 at the moment, and it gives an extra bit piece of mind. As OSB says two posts above, I very rarely access the archived cards so I'll purchase the 7dayshop cases meantime and re think my storage strategy..

Thanks again to everyone for their suggestions, your input is much appreciated.

To Rob, yes currently I do fill the SD cards once then archive them. After each shoot I transfer the files to my iMac. I have two external HDs (one for all iMac system files, the other solely for my photo files) which back up every night. Sometimes I do wonder though if I should be wiping and reusing my SD cards once they are full, like you do, as you're right about the cost per GB.

I suppose I see the cost of SD cards as a justifiable expense for extra piece of mind, especially with 32gb Transcend cards on Amazon for £9.99 at the moment, and it gives an extra bit piece of mind. As OSB says two posts above, I very rarely access the archived cards so I'll purchase the 7dayshop cases meantime and re think my storage strategy..
If you are using £10 transcend sd cards that not so bad as £30 sandisk cards. As a backup system that sounds a good idea because the sd cards are not touched other than transferring data once and it's a different type of media too. I'm guessing it depends on how fast you go through cards and how many photos you take. I photo wildlife with a nikon d800 so go through cards quite easily due to the raw file size produced. 32gb is only about 500 photos.

The only thing maybe if all hard drives/sd cases were in one place (in your home). Perhaps cloud storage or keeping the sd cards off site may help reduce risks if the worse happened.

I currently shoot using RAW, the RAWs are backed up to all of the hard drives. The high res processed jpegs are uploaded to hidden storage folders on my zenofolio website. Looking at your website it did look a bit look a zenofolio site. As all of my processing is done in Lightroom I'm most worried about losing the Lightroom catalog file with all of the processing data in it. It now goes back around 3-4 years so it includes lots of edit info.

Last edited:
Practical Photographer was giving away SD boxes for free this month (if you bought the magazine)

For anyone using SD and CF cards... 7dayshop do holders for both types of card and it's easy to switch the inserts so that you have holders with both SD and CF inserts. Saves having to always carry two holders.

Thanks, I was thinking of that but didn't want to start without hearing someone else's opinion. You shouldn't have to though!

Back