SD cards and Mirco SD cards

Name
colin
Edit My Images
Yes
hey all,

just wondering if there's any problems with using a micro SD card that's in a normal size SD card reader, then put that in my camera that takes a normal size SD card (if you follow me) there's not data loss or slowing of images being saved through to the SD? even though technically its going through another card to get to the one thats saving it?

cheers colin

It should work OK, but there are various speeds to be aware of.
Even Class 10 cards UHS-1 are not all equal, look for the stated speed too.
You might just notice slightly increased write times - it should still be fine with stills,

The adapter doesn't contain any electrickery; it's just a pass-through connection so doesn't affect anything. However, Micro SD cards tend to be slower than SD so, as 4wd says, check the actual speed of the card.

Handy if you use an Android tablet for viewing (if the tablet has a Micro SD slot!) Other than slightly slower write speeds, no real disadvantage other than the Micro cards being rather fiddly!

its a class 10 micro SD with i think about 50mb transfer speed so should be ok.
thanks again

Never used them in cameras but have phones. I sometimes had no SIM messages when using micro in a normal size adapter in Samsung S3. Camera fitting is probaly tighter than a phone, so should probably be okay.

Ive used the adapters in my 7D from micro to SD and SD card to Compact flash and they definitely slow down the write times to the cards and also when camera is in sleep mode where you only need to touch shutter button to wake it up it takes a lot longer to wake up with adapters. So with this in mind use them when urgency is not required, I shoot mainly aviation and wild life and don't use the adapters then. If i'm say on holiday or general walkabout when time is a plenty there fine.

800x CF card will allow me to do 45 shots in 12 seconds and all have been written to card
600x SD card in a CF adapter takes 33 secs to take and write 30 shots
micro SD in SD card adapter in CF card adapter is a waste of time, Also tried this combo in a 60D and was very slow

Last edited:
As ever, TP has saved the day - I'm looking for exactly this as a second card for my 70D, so I can view and share on Instagram or whatever direct from my tablet :)

Ive used the adapters in my 7D from micro to SD and SD card to Compact flash and they definitely slow down the write times to the cards and also when camera is in sleep mode where you only need to touch shutter button to wake it up it takes a lot longer to wake up with adapters. So with this in mind use them when urgency is not required, I shoot mainly aviation and wild life and don't use the adapters then. If i'm say on holiday or general walkabout when time is a plenty there fine.

800x CF card will allow me to do 45 shots in 12 seconds and all have been written to card
600x SD card in a CF adapter takes 33 secs to take and write 30 shots
micro SD in SD card adapter in CF card adapter is a waste of time, Also tried this combo in a 60D and was very slow

I'm confused, how did you try a CF card in a 60D?
Also converting from SD to CF is going to cause a slow down as you have a conversion happening.

A micro SD adapter is literally just a pin to pin connection, there is no transfer speed reduction. The only difference would be where a micro SD card uses inferior flash memory due to space restrictions for that capacity,

i emailed transcend awhile ago and they said there was no performance difference between a couple of fast cards (one micro sd), but micro sd cards do get really hot quickly in my surface pro

I'm confused, how did you try a CF card in a 60D?
Also converting from SD to CF is going to cause a slow down as you have a conversion happening.

A micro SD adapter is literally just a pin to pin connection, there is no transfer speed reduction. The only difference would be where a micro SD card uses inferior flash memory due to space restrictions for that capacity,

Maybe I wasn't clear enough the CF CAN only be used in the 7D I would have thought the fact it won't fit the 60D it would have been clear that only micro SD and SD where used in the 60D

Another reason why going from Micro SD to SD is the speed factor of cards when I did the 60D tests the micro SD cards weren't as fast as my SD cards

Also at the time i did these test micro SD cards didn't have the ability to read/write at the same speed as my SD cards. I dont know what sort of speed they are at now.

I also did quote the speeds of cards I was using for comparisons except the micro SD as didn't know what they where other than Sandisk

Last edited:
Maybe I wasn't clear enough the CF CAN only be used in the 7D I would have thought the fact it won't fit the 60D it would have been clear that only micro SD and SD where used in the 60D

If you dont want to believe the test I did with all 3 option on the 7D then why comment at all !! And yes I have 2 7D bodies and both get identical results, Using adapters does slow things down Even on 60D with micro SD via adapter to SD although the 60D buffer is not as big as 7D and also cannot write as fast

Another reason why going from Micro SD to SD is the speed factor of cards when I did the 60D tests the micro SD cards weren't as fast as my SD cards

Also at the time i did these test micro SD cards didn't have the ability to read/write at the same speed as my SD cards. I dont know what sort of speed they are at now.

I also did quote the speeds of cards I was using for comparisons except the micro SD as didn't know what they where other than Sandisk

I didn't question the validity of the of the 7D tests, I agreed that there would be a reduction due to the conversion. :)

It's important to dispell myths that size matters :D
It is all about the rating that card has been awarded and the max read/write speed, and that will be the same regardless of the form factor MicroSD or SD.

I find it much more useful to have the smaller cards, using adapters in my Fuji/60D, which means once there a little bit older I can downgrade them for use in a phone or the car stereo etc.

Back