SD Cards micro or not?

Name
TGO
Edit My Images
Yes
Is there any harm in using a micro sd card (with adaptor) or should I just get full size, (Microcard is the class 10 sandisk 64gb) would be used in a fuji HS 50

they can be abit of hassle, and look at write speed your camera can do too, if it can't write fast then you can get a cheaper card.

the best value fast card is the 85 /45 transend from mymemory

I can't really see real problem with this, other than it may be possible that performance is affected as you are read/write via an adapter.

Some cameras could be fussy using an adapter.

If you have one, try it first and see what happens.

I have an existing micro for my phone, I'll give it a whirl, seems with the proliferation of mobile devices with micro sd card storage, its easier to find a micro than full size. Plus I can interchange between phone & camera, only downside is if the adaptor makes a bottle neck, the card itself is one of the fastest around.

Last edited:
I would say avoid the micro cards for the same reason I would say to avoid using SD cards in a CF adaptor in a camera that takes CF cards. Yes they will probably work, and I am sure that there are people who do it, but why introduce another link in the chain between the subject and the file?

I use micro SD cards with adaptors in my eos 600d and have not encountered any problems at all. The adaptor obviously does not affect the read write because there is no electronics in the adaptor it is effectively just wires.

I use a micro SD with an adapter in an old canon compact, seems just the same as using a full size SD card - guess the compact camera not the fastest at writing though.

I had a similar questions with the xf1 as I had a spare 16gb micro sd class 10.

Doing a quick test against a normal class 4 full size sd card is seems faster. Will give it a go during the week.

I use micro SD cards with adaptors in my eos 600d and have not encountered any problems at all. The adaptor obviously does not affect the read write because there is no electronics in the adaptor it is effectively just wires.

+1 to this - if you get an equivalent class of card there is no difference in performance by using an adapter. Totally different to the SD/CF adapters.

I have all full sized SD cards for my camera, but carry an adapter for micro SD cards in my camera bag so I can use my phone memory card as a last resort.

+1 to this - if you get an equivalent class of card there is no difference in performance by using an adapter. Totally different to the SD/CF adapters.

I have all full sized SD cards for my camera, but carry an adapter for micro SD cards in my camera bag so I can use my phone memory card as a last resort.
I did that but when I need it I couldn't use it without wiping the phone card first.

I think the microsd is slower on the write speed, abit less on the read but still slower

Take apart an adaptor- They're direct electrical connections ;)
It'll either work or not work, nothing more to it than that.

SD==> CF adaptors on the other hand are different beasties, and I wouldn't put one of those into my camera.

Hi
I use a micro card with adapter in my Panasonic video camera. Not had any problems so far.

I've tried this, and though it works, the write speed was noticeably slower than when using an SD card of the same speed. I assume the drop in write speed is due to the adaptor.

Back