SD Cards - which do you recommend?

Name
Dean
Edit My Images
Yes
As above really.

I have a set of SD cards for home /private use but am looking for advise on which cards people would recommend for professional use.

Going to go for 16GB denominations and probably 4 or 6 of them and currently thinking on SanDisk Extremes as I don't see the need to spend the extra on the pro versions.

Shooting with dual cards on a D7000 is another reason for wanting to keep costs down slightly as any purchase will be made twice!!

Cheers for any advice given,

Dean

Play do their own high speed cards (I got a 16gb for about £10 but I cannot remember) and I've had no issues with it!

SanDisk Extremes, 16gb ones aren't that expensive on Amazon. Thats what i've got in my point and shoot, as well as all my families. And If i was to use a DSLR with SD Cards, you bet i'd be using these as well. Quick to transfer using Macbook Pro SD card slot, and quick to write to in the card. No issues doing full 1080p video either.

Yep watch out for fakes, I bought direct from Amazon last time, and my strategy is to have multiple 16Gb cards, they are cost efficient and a nice natural size to not store too much on one card!

I have 2 of the 95mb/s UHS-I Sandisks, and also 2 of the 45mb/s UHS-I Sandisks for all my SD card devices, the faster cards are really advantageous for cameras with larger file sizes (assuming they can take advantage of the UHS-I Speeds)

Cheers guys, SanDisks it is I think. 45s will suit my shooting style (I'm not a sprayer!) so they'll be fine.

Now for another question (and one that'll probably cause arguments!) 2 sets of 16 GB (4 cards) or just simply 2 x 32GB? Curruptions on GOOD QUALITY SD cards are so rare now (as long as you format instead of delete) and with the backup of shooting duel cards, suerly there's no need to be swapping around all the time?

Seemed a lot simpler when all I had to worry about was swapping CF cards, or even changing film....:)

Dean

Cheers guys, SanDisks it is I think. 45s will suit my shooting style (I'm not a sprayer!) so they'll be fine.

Now for another question (and one that'll probably cause arguments!) 2 sets of 16 GB (4 cards) or just simply 2 x 32GB? Curruptions on GOOD QUALITY SD cards are so rare now (as long as you format instead of delete) and with the backup of shooting duel cards, suerly there's no need to be swapping around all the time?

Seemed a lot simpler when all I had to worry about was swapping CF cards, or even changing film....:)

Dean

the 16/32/64GB thing is just a preference.

- Larger sizes are more expensive per MB
- If you have lots of SD card devices, obviously the more cards to share around the better..

But if you have 1 camera and want the ability to hold 2000-6000 photos' per card and don't mind paying the extra, then you are better served with larger cards..

You can't go wrong basically.. do what suits your needs :)

I can only advise on what I use - Transcend 16gb class 10.... I think they're 30mb/s. Seem to do fine with the burst mode and HD has no issues. Done about 2000 shots since I got it last week and not had any issues with either being read by my MBP, read by the camera or any error messages. A tenner each seems good value.

I would go for 4*16gb. You are using them in pairs anyway so that allows you to have a pair in the camera and a pair spare. I like to keep the photos on the cards until they have been processed and backed up.

I bought my Sandisk 16GB from 7dayshop works perfect in my 600D, will dig out the speed of it

I would go for a few smaller size cards - you don't want to put all your eggs in the one basket. At least that way if one failed you would still have alternative cards.

I've got two 8GB sd cards from play.com
£7.79 each and 5 year warranty

I use the Sandisk Extreme Pro and they're a top quality card (y) and the free recovery software that comes with them is brilliant too (y)

I'm confident that this will be the best price you will get for the 95mb/s cards (y)

http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005LFT3MA/ref=noref?ie=UTF8&psc=1&s=computers

Matt
MWHCVT

Same here...I just got a 64Gb & 32Gb one...Probably overkill, I never leave photos on them anyway...But hey you can never have enough storage :)

Also handy to have around if one needs to transfer other stuff between computers....Most movies, apps, documents fit within 64Gb...

Personally I think the size thing is just personal preference opposed to facts that you will get a broken card and loose thousands of pictures...

Which you'll hopefully never have to use ;) :LOL:

I've used it thanks to my own stupidity and it worked perfectly got all my RAW's and Jpeg's back (y) I had been out for an entire day shooting with maybe 400 images on my card, stopped off for a little bit of light painting on the way home and made a few errors and test images while setting up so in my genius :cautious: formatted the card and realised exactly what I'd done as I watched the bar go across took the card out once formatted and used the software on it and it got everything and more back (y)

Matt

I would go for a few smaller size cards - you don't want to put all your eggs in the one basket. At least that way if one failed you would still have alternative cards.
I take a different view. Each time a card is swapped there is a risk of something going wrong (dropped card, damaged contacts etc). Once a card is in the camera, it is relatively safe.

Personally I think the size thing is just personal preference opposed to facts that you will get a broken card and loose thousands of pictures...

I discovered, purely by chance, that an SD card had failed while on holiday in Central America last year. As it happened, I only lost two images so I could go back and get them again (but couldn't as the iguana had moved on!). Had I found out only when I got back to the ship, there would have been no chance of another go. So, small(er) cards for me...

I discovered, purely by chance, that an SD card had failed while on holiday in Central America last year. As it happened, I only lost two images so I could go back and get them again (but couldn't as the iguana had moved on!). Had I found out only when I got back to the ship, there would have been no chance of another go. So, small(er) cards for me...

All depends on how you shoot and your risk assessment. Maybe adopt a chimp style so you see and know it has written. Or write a copy to the other card. Likewise depending on what you shoot again, having to swap cards around could also mean you have lost that shot. Or actually getting the card out of the camera and storing it somewhere else could damage the card, make you loose it or whatever...Etc....

There is no fixed or best answer to this, it all depends...

Back