SD cards???????

Name
Tobi
Edit My Images
Yes
I have a D90 with a "SD HC 133 x 5 Dane-elec" card. I shot in RAW and I get 532 shots but when it comes to shooting multiple shots i feel the card has problems keeping up with the camera.

Am I right in saying that I need a better card (faster card)? And If so where do I start? I think I need a 16gb card but which one??? Or maybe two 8 gb cards??? HELP!!!

Sent from my iPhone using TP Forums

Look for a Class 10 card. I think the cards on the market are Class 4,6,8,10 and 12. 4 is the slowest and 12 the quickest....they are disproportionately more expensve because they are the latest tech.

I think anything faster than a class 4 will be a waste on the D90
only with a card reader will a higher class be usefull ie transfer speed onto a computer but don't quote me :shrug:

I only use Sandisk extreme cards in my 550D. Never had a problem with write speeds when using continuous shooting or even when shooting HD video.

IIRC wasn't there a Sandisk Extreme III card that was virtually made for the D90 either the 30mb/s or a 45mb/s - only reason being is that when I had a D90 i got that particular card as it was highly recommended for it...

:thinking: Then again I could be wrong on the 30/45mb/s part

I better go find a cheap extreme III card then.

Where is the best place to buy a SD card?

I have a Sandisk Ultra 4 GB (15 MB/s) and a Lexar premium 16 GB (100x). Both write from the D90 at the same speed as best I can tell (both are rated 15 MB/s, class 6). I can shoot Raw 4.5 fps on both for about 2-3 seconds (11 shot buffer) until I'm bogged down. With JPEG's (depending on size) I can keep shooting as fast as the camera will go. No difference between cards.

I got my lexar from ebuyer for 30 quid which is basically the same as 7-day shop. I had an order for some memory and drive upgrade so I got it all in one.

Thanks
Rick

Rick,

I have the same problem with my 8gb card it gets bogged down. But I'm a little unsure if that's the card or the camera..... I'm hoping it's the card and if I upgrade my card to something like the scandisk extreme then that "bogging down" will disappear.

Tobi

I think most of this is marketing hype. In practice I find little or no difference between any card.

Surely my D90 is good enough not to get bogged down after 11 shots in RAW format???

I think anything faster than a class 4 will be a waste on the D90..............

excuse the butt in...:D

is Class 4 the fastest i need on a Nikon D5000...?
cannot find info anywhere

dont do bracketing nor RAW --- yet.!

i have Kingston 4GB class6
and a spare Integral 4GB class4

4 is the lowest.

I found this site really quite useful at explaining the technical side of things:

Memory card speeds

When you get to bracketing or multishots I would assume you would want a faster card than the ones you have. Why not give it a try to see how long it takes to save 3 pics in a row?

The site recommends 133x and above for professional grade gear. My 500D seems to work well with a Lexar Premium series which is a 100x card.

Surely my D90 is good enough not to get bogged down after 11 shots in RAW format???

11 shots doesn't sound too little for the D90. It's specced at 7 raw frames before running out of buffer.

11 shots doesn't sound too little for the D90. It's specced at 7 raw frames before running out of buffer.
Agreed, as I recall a test of the latest D7000 in a random camera mag this month rates it at around 10-11 frames of RAW before the buffer fills, so getting 10 on a D90 sounds great!

Back