SD to Hardrive

Name
Jacob
Edit My Images
Yes
Hello :)

I am going to thailand for five weeks in the summer to help build a school and i'm trying to find some way of copying my pics between sd-hardrive without having to take a PC. Power supply will be restricted to certain days, so if possible doesnt have to be mains powered.

I was wondering if anybody had experience of an item such as:

http://www.kenable.co.uk/product_info.php?products_id=1621

my idea would be usb sd card reader, belkin device, small portable hardrive. In a dream world I would get one of the epson devices but with £1500 for the project and the cost of my new d7000, the budget is really tight.

Regards

Jake

there was a thread about this recently (within the last few days) with a suggestion. Dont think it was cheap though. - have a search (including the computer board)

EDIT: http://www.talkphotography.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?t=312958

That link seems like it fits the bill - for £12 I'd buy it and give it a try providing you've got an external usb drive of course although it will require power (at least the usb drive will).

Last edited:
allotropic said:
Great price, going to grab one of these, cheers Michael.

Thank you I've Just bought one as well can't loose out at that price :)

The only issue I can see is 12Mbit/sec transfer rate....

My maths might be incorrect but say I backed up everynight and I shot 2gb worth of images a day, 2000mb divided by 12mb = 166secs divide that by 60 and you get just shy of 3 mins, am i doing something wrong because 3mins to back up 2gb of photos doesnt seem bad to me :)

Jake

mbit not mb, so times your time by 8, as allotropic says, about 25 mins

25 mins if you can sustain that rate (which you won't ;)).

Whilst I admit it is very cheap, it might take a while to get those images off (i.e. it's what put me off :D). You need to bear in mind I shoot 21Mpix raw files on the 5D2 and Ms arad85 is currently shooting 18Mpix RAW+JPEG on the 7D so I'm looking at LOTS of data for even a short walkabout. Your usage may be different though...

I used to (probably still do somewhere) have one of the copy anywhere type devices when memory cards were very expensive and I wanted to reuse the space whilst travelling.

It did work, just very slowly, and I was never really 100% confident it had worked based on a few flashing LED's.

As I said in the other thread - the ND2700. £200 for 500GB of battery-powered storage that'll suck images off your card at around 25 MB/s - so less than 1.5 minutes for 2GB.

As I said in the other thread - the ND2700. £200 for 500GB of battery-powered storage that'll suck images off your card at around 25 MB/s - so less than 1.5 minutes for 2GB.

That would be my first choice if I had a spare 200 quid, but im in the process of trying to aquire a 17-50 f2.8 and a 70-200 f2.8 so am looking at cheaper alternatives

Jake

I fail to see how this Belkin device will work, How will it power an external hard drive from 3 AAA batteries?

I fail to see how this Belkin device will work, How will it power an external hard drive from 3 AAA batteries?
It also comes with an AC 5V 1.5A (which is enough for 2 x USB and powering the unit itself with some headroom) adaptor

Yes but it's called USB Anywhere so not much use if there is no external power available.

has any body tried these yet? what are they like?

I've got one of the older Nexto OTG boxes that I bought three or four years ago, though I haven't needed to use it for a while.

It works quite well and is very quick; it'll copy 1GB in a little over a minute. I do find the copy will occasionally fail, but it lets you know and it goes through on the second attempt. Mine came with an external battery pack that you can load up with four AA cells if the internal rechargeable one runs out.

Last edited:
Has anyone had any success with this?

Had one of these delivered a while ago.

Complete waste of money.

Tried coping over 400mb of images and it didn't succeed once. Over a couple of days I tried it loads of times with different memory sticks and hd's. Failed half of the times and just kept flashing for the other half. At one attempt I left it for over an hour, when I turned it off and checked memory stick it had the files on there but they were all 0mb.

Thrown it in the bin :thumbsdown:

In a word, no.

I have tried it in the following combinations,

camera > usb anywhere > memory stick
external HDD (powered) > usb anywhere > memory stick
external HDD (unpowered) > usb anywhere > memory stick
memory stick > usb anywhere > memory stick

and each and every time it has failed.

The device would always make a new directory but upon checking each directory was totally empty.

It did once copy a file name of a jpg but that was it, no actual picture copied.

I have tried all of the above with the device powered by batteries and via the power adapter.

Waste of money and I intend sending it back but only after I phone Belkin support in the coming week to double check that I cannot read the instructions correctly.

In conclusion, nice idea, poorly executed.

Back