SDA Ae Forest Saturday AND Sunday

Edit My Images
No
A few from the Scottish Downhill at Ae Forest, today.

HIMUPNORTH, I'm guessing it was you that came a cropper down at the bottom of the course. Your son was chatting to a near-by marshal, telling us what had happened. Didn't sound too nice, but I hope you're fairing up ok.

Presumably you came passed me, since I was there all day, but I've failed miserably in getting a shot of you. I would of happily sent you the full size pic if I had, but if I get any good'uns of your lad(s?) you can have them.

Great event so far though. Loadsa Marshal's, and they're all really friendly, and the riders have a bit of a laugh too.

More shots to follow tomorrow.

SDAAe1.jpg

SDAAe2.jpg

SDAAe3.jpg

SDAAe4.jpg

SDAAe5.jpg

SDAAe6.jpg

SDAAe7.jpg

SDAAe8.jpg

Cheers (y)

Last edited:
I like #7 the most.

Just has that right wow factor to it. And the way it has been captured that close and that well.

Nice set otherwise.

Thats a great set of images mate. What is your aperture and shutter as they are very nicely held together.

Pete.

well composed shots but the focus is off on a few of them, otherwise good set (y)

Cheers Toothie. For me, it's important the eyes are sharp, and I reckon I've achieved that in these shots. But glad you like'em. :D

I like #7 the most.

Just has that right wow factor to it. And the way it has been captured that close and that well.

Nice set otherwise.

Thanks Jordie. 7's a funny one. Makes the rider look like he has a very big head, or is riding a very small bike. :LOL: But I do like it.

Thats a great set of images mate. What is your aperture and shutter as they are very nicely held together.

Pete.

Thank you very much Pete. Means a lot coming from you, after seeing your posts on here.

Generally shutter speed was 1/160th, and aperture was roughly f5.0, with ISO tweaked between 100-160. All the EXIF data is intact.

Just working on today's pics now... :D

Cheers Toothie. For me, it's important the eyes are sharp, and I reckon I've achieved that in these shots. But glad you like'em. :D

Thanks Jordie. 7's a funny one. Makes the rider look like he has a very big head, or is riding a very small bike. :LOL: But I do like it.

Thank you very much Pete. Means a lot coming from you, after seeing your posts on here.

Generally shutter speed was 1/160th, and aperture was roughly f5.0, with ISO tweaked between 100-160. All the EXIF data is intact.

Just working on today's pics now... :D

Cool - a nice amount of movement for 1/160th. Nice one.

are you using off camera flash? if so is it mounted on a stand or do you hand hold it??

Great set.. 7 for me too..

Cheers fraggle101. For the first time, I'm actually using 2 off-camera flashes. One is on a Gorillapod, which is bloody handy at times, and a pain in the arse at others!, and the 2nd is on a small tripod.

Usually I put the flashes at opposite sides of the riders, and at right angles to me.

:D

i see, i cant help thinking if you used a smaller apperture to darken the BG a little the riders would pop a bit more..

Great work (y)

Yep. Definitely agree there. Problem is with that though, is when you get riders in dark clothes, they don't stand out, and the whole photo looks a bit dark.

Ideally, you'd be able to quickly adjust, when you see the rider coming down the track, and to a degree it is actually possible when you use Nikon's CLS, 'cos you adjust outputs from the camera. But I'm using PocketWizards now, so I can't do that anymore.

So for me it's a conscious decision to go will a lighter background, but I do mix it up from time to time. :)

Glad you like'em though (y)

Hi Oli. Nice to meet you yesterday! :wave:

The crash at the bottom was another rider. I crashed just above the corner in your last shot. Bummer.

Great set mate, I especially like the close up shots (Like Ben Cortes in #7) but you have a great spread of shots. Did you get speaking to Ian Linton? Solid bloke and excellent tog.

Hi Oli. Nice to meet you yesterday! :wave:

The crash at the bottom was another rider. I crashed just above the corner in your last shot. Bummer.

Great set mate, I especially like the close up shots (Like Ben Cortes in #7) but you have a great spread of shots. Did you get speaking to Ian Linton? Solid bloke and excellent tog.

Yep. Good to put a face to the name, and able to thank you in person for your help. :)

I did exchange a bit of friendly banter with Ian, at several points throughout the day, and he did seem a nice bloke.

As for my photos, I was certainly trying to get some variety, so happy I've managed that, and it seems number 7 is the favourite, which gives me some food for thought, as it just shows that those quirky angles are the ones that work best.

Maybe see you at Innerleithen, and be careful with that shoulder (y)

Back