Seagate 2TB External Hard Drive only £58.99

I can vouch for this drive. Used it to store my photos on Mac (and it's currently housing my LR catalogue and pictures on Windows) without any problems at all.

Good find, thanks, will order one
Is it possible to leave it plugged in to your computer as an storage drive
Dave

Last edited:
Good find, thanks, will order one
Is it possible to leave it plugged in to your computer as an storage drive
Dave
Yes, it's actually seen as a hard drive. Mine is now connected to my home PC 100% of the time.

Thanks, Steve

Think I'll pick one up. I currently have my Lightroom catalogue on my internal hard drive on an iMac. Am I likely to see a reduction in performance if I move everything to a external drive? I'm guessing I will.

Nice one. Ordered.

I've always begrudged paying full price...not really sure why. Well, I do, seemed like a lot of money.

One thing I do know, is that makes me an idiot :bonk:

Cheers.

Think I'll pick one up. I currently have my Lightroom catalogue on my internal hard drive on an iMac. Am I likely to see a reduction in performance if I move everything to a external drive? I'm guessing I will.
I would imagine so, if you're going from an internal SSD to a slowish external - but if you have USB3 and you're not coming from an SSD I'm not sure how noticeable the difference would be. Probably depends on how much you use it as well (and whether you're the kind to sit and wait or kick off a job and keep yourself busy while it does it's thing.

I know I had no complaints on my MBA (not something I can say for my PC, but that's only USB2 capable).

Product details refers to Windows compatability. Assume it is compatible with Mac as well?
Yup, works just fine.

Thanks. Pretty sure my iMac is USB2. At this price it could be worth trying anyway, if it's too slow the extra storage will come in handy.

I would imagine so, if you're going from an internal SSD to a slowish external - but if you have USB3 and you're not coming from an SSD I'm not sure how noticeable the difference would be. Probably depends on how much you use it as well (and whether you're the kind to sit and wait or kick off a job and keep yourself busy while it does it's thing.

I know I had no complaints on my MBA (not something I can say for my PC, but that's only USB2 capable).

Yup, works just fine.

Please excuse my ignorance, but just bought one of these.
Now I have normally been use to the external storage device with just a USB cable where you plug it into your pc and drag and drop you images to the external drive for storage.
With this one can you use it in the same way or does it always have to be connected to the mains to work?
Also please, when you close it down do you have to do it separately or will it close when the computer shuts down.....I thought it had to be done on its own so as not to damage the drive??
Any help appreciated
thanks
Dave

This won't power automatically off of the USB port, so it needs mains power to operate I'm afraid (you can get USB powered but they tend to be for more portable devices, whereas this really is a desktop device).

As for shutting down, you don't need to worry about ejecting it before you shut down - the OS handles that for you.

Decent kit.

I'll can still use the software for my other seagate drive to automatically back up when needed rather than drag and drop. I'll think you can get the software from the seagate website.

Cheers.

As for shutting down, you don't need to worry about ejecting it before you shut down - the OS handles that for you.

Steve - many thanks for your help when I turn off the PC the seagate stays on do I need to install anthing or when you talk about the OS do you mean Windows
thanks
Dave

Last edited:
Ah, it's independently powered so it won't shut itself off if that's what you're asking. I leave mine on 100% of the time though, and wouldn't expect any problems that way.

So even though your computer is off this unit is on with the blue light showing
On
Thanks I was not aware that they should be on all the time will they not get hot
Appreciate your help
Dave

Last edited:
As mentioned in PM, they don't get that hot at all. There would be no problem if you wanted to switch it off manually afterwards (although I don't think it has an actual switch, so you'd need to pull the plug. I can't get around the back of mine, which probably tells you how well ventilated mine is as well).

thanks for your help
Think I have found a way.....Start>right click Devices and Printers>Open>Seagate Mass Storage Device> Eject
dave

Last edited:
Back