Seaham wheels sunrise...another image added...

Name
Martin
Edit My Images
No
The old carriage wheels on Chemical Beach at Seaham last Sunday morning. The sea was a lot rougher than anticipated, which made me happy, it was fantastic as even though it was a receding tide, and low tide just after sunrise, because it was so rough the wheels always had water in and around them...

Seaham Wheels by Martin Steele, on Flickr

Cheers mate....once again my love of the 85mm prime for landscapes came into it's own :D

Nice use of a bit of reach. Not that you would but play with aspect ratio's for your own amusement.

Try 4x5 or even 6x7 taking the wheels off - imagine a crop line just above the wheels - do you think it works? I find myself a lot making different aspect ratio's of the same picture. I can see various squares in this as well :D

From a slightly higher vantage point (was that even possible?) I can see a really 135mm or 150mm plus long reach with just some waves, that distant lighthouse.

Now NONE of this is a critism of your image - it's one of your best and one of the best shots of this location ever taken - but as you know conditions like this are very special so I hope you worked than morning dang hard.

Nice use of a bit of reach. Not that you would but play with aspect ratio's for your own amusement.

Try 4x5 or even 6x7 taking the wheels off - imagine a crop line just above the wheels - do you think it works? I find myself a lot making different aspect ratio's of the same picture. I can see various squares in this as well :D

From a slightly higher vantage point (was that even possible?) I can see a really 135mm or 150mm plus long reach with just some waves, that distant lighthouse.

Now NONE of this is a critism of your image - it's one of your best and one of the best shots of this location ever taken - but as you know conditions like this are very special so I hope you worked than morning dang hard.

Yeah I think a crop just above the wheels will work too, always plenty of squares too. That's one frustration with the Sony, I can't shoot squares in camera which I loved doing with my little LX100 when I had it.

The only option of higher would have been way back up on the cliff top then shoot long, but I prefer to be down close to the water. Pretty sure I shot a few in crop mode with the 85 too though, so roughly 127mm. I've literally only processed this image, not even looked at the rest and it was a cracking morning. Something to do while I wait on the new camera to arrive today I guess :D

Last edited:
Yeah I think a crop just above the wheels will work too, always plenty of squares too. That's one frustration with the Sony, I can't shoot squares in camera which I loved doing with my little LX100 when I had it.

The only option of higher would have been way back up on the cliff top then shoot long, but I prefer to be down close to the water. Pretty sure I shot a few in crop mode with the 85 too though, so roughly 127mm. I've literally only processed this image, not even looked at the rest and it was a cracking morning. Something to do while I wait on the new camera to arrive today I guess :D

I am a great believer in getting it right in camera but I tend to prefer the whole image - the crop is the one thing I prefer to see on the big screen. With the 645z you haven't actually got a 100% view finder so you always end up with a hair more than you bargained for - it's not terrible but noticible. With the D850 I cannot really say, it's not a thing like it is with Zedward (Yeah I've given it a name).

I think you'll like having the new camera - but be warned - two systems is expensive - two sets of chargers, batteries. It's fun but also a bind in someways.

I am a great believer in getting it right in camera but I tend to prefer the whole image - the crop is the one thing I prefer to see on the big screen. With the 645z you haven't actually got a 100% view finder so you always end up with a hair more than you bargained for - it's not terrible but noticible. With the D850 I cannot really say, it's not a thing like it is with Zedward (Yeah I've given it a name).

I think you'll like having the new camera - but be warned - two systems is expensive - two sets of chargers, batteries. It's fun but also a bind in someways.
Yeah I agree on getting it right in camera, the LX100 and even the old 6d allowed to compose and shoot square but still gave the full image in LR to work with if I decided I didn't want to keep the square.

I've just been hankering over something new for a while now, and if the S5 works out, I may just sell the Sony gear, although losing that 20mm G will hurt, as it's phenomenal. We shall see....the S5 may get sold yet if I don't get on with it! I'd have loved the A7R4 but I simply couldn't afford it, plus it would show up the flaws in my poorer lens too, of which I can work around with the R2, but the R4 would show it and would then be another couple of grand to replace that lens on top. Not viable right now.

Yeah I agree on getting it right in camera, the LX100 and even the old 6d allowed to compose and shoot square but still gave the full image in LR to work with if I decided I didn't want to keep the square.

I've just been hankering over something new for a while now, and if the S5 works out, I may just sell the Sony gear, although losing that 20mm G will hurt, as it's phenomenal. We shall see....the S5 may get sold yet if I don't get on with it! I'd have loved the A7R4 but I simply couldn't afford it, plus it would show up the flaws in my poorer lens too, of which I can work around with the R2, but the R4 would show it and would then be another couple of grand to replace that lens on top. Not viable right now.

Panasonic 20-60 lens. What a useful zoom FL range.

24-70 is great, but 20-60 would actually be the dream "Glencoe" do it all lens.

You'll miss that 20mm - trust me when I say this - don't sell unless then Panasonic stuff is as good.

Panasonic 20-60 lens. What a useful zoom FL range.

24-70 is great, but 20-60 would actually be the dream "Glencoe" do it all lens.

You'll miss that 20mm - trust me when I say this - don't sell unless then Panasonic stuff is as good.
Yeah the 20-60 focal length sounds great on paper as does the S5 itself, youtube reviews all seem to tend more toward the video side, but comparisons to the A7R2, other than lacking in resolution (I don't do heavy crops or print billboards anyhow, nor am I a pixel peeper) and focus points (I only ever use a single focus point anyhow), the S5 comes out on top which you would hope so considering its almost 7 years newer tech, but we'll see what it's like in the real world in my hands very soon I guess.

If it works out well, the Panasonic 85mm will be my first purchase, and it's coming with the 20-60 and the deal was with a free 50mm to boot. Losing the Sony 20mm is my only concern IF I switch over.

Yeah the 20-60 focal length sounds great on paper as does the S5 itself, youtube reviews all seem to tend more toward the video side, but comparisons to the A7R2, other than lacking in resolution (I don't do heavy crops or print billboards anyhow, nor am I a pixel peeper) and focus points (I only ever use a single focus point anyhow), the S5 comes out on top which you would hope so considering its almost 7 years newer tech, but we'll see what it's like in the real world in my hands very soon I guess.

If it works out well, the Panasonic 85mm will be my first purchase, and it's coming with the 20-60 and the deal was with a free 50mm to boot. Losing the Sony 20mm is my only concern IF I switch over.

I do pixel peep - but if that was a 50mp system I'd probably sell the lot as well and free up cash for other stuff.

Keep them coming :D

That's superb
Cheers mate, I'll have another look tomorrow, although going back here tomorrow morning too, but high tide this time to try the S5 out :D

Back