Searching for a small but powerful lightbox

Name
Andreas
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi guys!

I´m searching for a small but powerful lightbox - preferable LED with different color modes, powered by batteries.
Not neccessarly with a camera flash mount - I just need a mobile and bright light source (wanna use it for street photography at night).

Any suggestions?

Thanks
Cas

Manfrotto Lykos LEDs are good. Whether they are powerful enough only you can decide. I expect flash will be stronger.
You can pair them with a set of Lee Colourmagic filters, might have to use blue tack or tape to affix them.

Hm... the only speedlight product I can find is a flash for the camera mount.

I´m searching for something like that (not for use on the camera, I just need a portable light source with different color modes):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cullmann-C...8&qid=1542034027&sr=8-4&keywords=cullmann+led

Like a RGB floodlight - but portable ^^

Manfrotto Lykos looks good (expensive ^^), but I only found it with variable color temperature, not RGB.

Last edited:
That is why I suggested the filters. You would need to experiment.

Actually having looked on youtube I'm not sure these are suitable.

Hm... the only speedlight product I can find is a flash for the camera mount.

I´m searching for something like that (not for use on the camera, I just need a portable light source with different color modes):
https://www.amazon.co.uk/Cullmann-C...8&qid=1542034027&sr=8-4&keywords=cullmann+led

Like a RGB floodlight - but portable ^^

Manfrotto Lykos looks good (expensive ^^), but I only found it with variable color temperature, not RGB.
Google off camera flash ;)
Flash is much easier to use than hotlights, and much more versatile. But from afar it appears the opposite is true.

Might be worth remembering that if you are photographing people, a bright continuous light source will cause squinting and the iris will close down which can look unflattering, off camera flash is quite easy to master with a suitable transmitter etc.

I´m searching for something like that (not for use on the camera, I just need a portable light source with different color modes)
Might need to give more specifics as to what it's going to be used for... most LED units are not very powerful at all and therefore not good for much.

Might need to give more specifics as to what it's going to be used for... most LED units are not very powerful at all and therefore not good for much.

This and pedant mode...
As people continue to do this
A lightbox is a box containing a light with an translucent glass top that you lay negatives or transparencies on to examine them
A light tent is an 'tent' or box made of translucent material which you place items inside to photograph, you light the outside of the tent to create fairly uncontrolled but sof lighting
A softbox is an umbrella or rectangular translucent cover with a light inside, usually a flash, it's designed to mimic windowlight.
A light panel is a flat panel designed to create a large soft lightsource - usually continuous light, often nowadays with LEDs, very good for video, less use for stills photography, good large ones are prohibitively expensive, but crap and small ones are often marketed at unwary photographers

I believe the OP thinks he wants a light panel, but unless he's shooting video a flash in a softbox is a cheaper and better option.

Last edited:
This and pedant mode...
As people continue to do this
A lightbox is a box containing a light with an translucent glass top that you lay negatives or transparencies on to examine them
A light tent is an 'tent' or box made of translucent material which you place items inside to photograph, you light the outside of the tent to create fairly uncontrolled but sof lighting
A softbox is an umbrella or rectangular translucent cover with a light inside, usually a flash, it's designed to mimic windowlight.
A light panel is a flat panel designed to create a large soft lightsource - usually continuous light, often nowadays with LEDs, very good for video, less use for stills photography, good large ones are prohibitively expensive, but crap and small ones are often marketed at unwary photographers

I believe the OP thinks he wants a light panel, but unless he's shooting video a flash in a softbox is a cheaper and better option.

Not pedantic at all Phil - this is crucial information describing a bunch of completely different products with similar names (y)

I had some time on m hands so a little bit of research revealed this,which may tick a lot of the OP's boxes.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sIbJoFM8aAY
At 1:20 it shows exactly what's wrong with a constant light source. Once it's bright enough for decent exposure times, it's not nice to be close to.
There's ;loads of great uses for this kind of thing, but for straight up people photography, flash is just so much better

The one they had in the back of the filming car for the Children in need trike ride was incredibly bright last night. No idea what make etc...

Do a search on ebay for "led camera light" in Cameras & Photo Accessories.

There are lots available, but I have no experience of any of them.

Do a search on ebay for "led camera light" in Cameras & Photo Accessories.

There are lots available, but I have no experience of any of them.
Or ask some photographers who have some knowledge and experience :thinking:

I thought that was the point of this place?

Why continuous LED light rather than (cheaper, more powerful and less intrusive) off camera flash?

Back