second attempt at sunset

That is a cracking red sunset indeed but unfortunately it is too dark for my lighting, although this dark exposure might have worked better if you had zoomed in closer and used the power station/factory as a dominant silhouette. If you want brighter foregrounds for sunset photos, you either need to invest in some nd grad filters or otherwise use multiple exposures. Or use a very powerful torch to light the foreground, haven't used this approach personally though. Definitely worth you going back to this location and having another go!

If you crop to a panorama size,removing the distracting lights in the foreground it becomes a stronger image,IMHO.(y)
It all looks a little underexposed to be honest!
If you shot in RAW you might be able to rescue it!
Agree it looks a great location and I would definietly keep going back,try different compositions and keep practising!(y)

Its too dark
Why did you shoot in manual at -1ev?
Why centre weighted metering?

The top half of the image is a corker, but yes, the bottom half is simply too dark. Damn fine try though.

If you crop to a panorama size,removing the distracting lights in the foreground it becomes a stronger image,IMHO.(y)
It all looks a little underexposed to be honest!
If you shot in RAW you might be able to rescue it!
Agree it looks a great location and I would definietly keep going back,try different compositions and keep practising!(y)

second that, nice attempt, hope you have the raw file bud.:clap:

Thanks for all the comments, this is a cropped version.

DSC_2473-2 by joe19random, on Flickr

I'll play around in lightroom, should be a good learning exercise.

Edit: Yes, shot in RAW, forgot to say.

Last edited:
OK, so tried to lighten the foreground

DSC_2473-3 by joe19random, on Flickr

At least now you can see some of the green field, although it does introduce some noise? Not sure how much further I could push it.

Exposure was ramped up quite a bit, then masked foreground and knocked up Lighten Shadows - done with Pixelmator.
With the RAW file and similar actions, you should be able to resurrect quite a bit from the darkness without it looking (too) obvious.
Could've touched Brightness too, but didn't want to lose the darkness of the sky.

Back