Second Camera Body

i am strictly amatour, but still like idea of 2 bodies. i have e-m5 with 12-40 2.8 almost glued to it. e-pl5 gets small prime or telephoto, dependent on needs.

1Dx and 6D. Like FF and the two bodies carry different lenses plus as a back up.

I own 10 interchangeable lens cameras, 4 35mm, 2 6x7, 1 6x6 and 3 5x4 (no digital ones).

My reasons? Partly a dislike of disposing of an old friend, and partly a memory of what happened when my only camera failed on holiday. Plus different facilities/capabilities of the different cameras (none are the same model). In the case of one of the 35mm cameras, it was to have a body that would take my wife's lenses to reduce weight on holidays.

I have 3, the cheapest and lightest (Nikon D80) comes with me on foreign holidays with Kit lenses (since I had more expensive gear stolen in Portugal) for holiday snaps.

My other two, D300 and D3, are used for photography trips. I find two are particularly useful for wildlife especially when one will be on a tripod with long telephoto and the other beside me with 24-70 or 70-200.

A 7D and a 20D. I kept the later when I upgraded to the former. Partly due to nostalgia of it as my first DSLR, I decided to keep the 20D as a backup. I reckon in the last 3.5years it's been fired a couple of times. I ought to dig it out and check it's still okay!

The placing of the post is 'odd', you've asked for the opinion of 'pros' in the general section and therefore had only a few pros respond.

That said, you've probably realised now there are a lot of good reasons to have a second body. But for pro's it's a no-brainer, you can't just pack up and walk off a job because of equipment failure. It's often discussed with relation to weddings (purely because there are a lot of wedding photographers about). But I can't think of a single pro assignment where it'd be OK to just announce you'll have to come back at another date when you've had your camera fixed.

It ought to be obvious before you take your first step on the pro ladder, you need all the necessary knowledge, skills and gear.

I periodically do paid work. The last big job entailed covering a very large scale production. At the time I had only one body (D7000) and was constantly changing lenses. It brought home the point that I "should" have two so I managed to get a reasonably priced used D700. Now I don't have to worry so much about changing lenses and have both a crop and full frame body.

The placing of the post is 'odd', you've asked for the opinion of 'pros' in the general section and therefore had only a few pros respond.

That said, you've probably realised now there are a lot of good reasons to have a second body. But for pro's it's a no-brainer, you can't just pack up and walk off a job because of equipment failure. It's often discussed with relation to weddings (purely because there are a lot of wedding photographers about). But I can't think of a single pro assignment where it'd be OK to just announce you'll have to come back at another date when you've had your camera fixed.

It ought to be obvious before you take your first step on the pro ladder, you need all the necessary knowledge, skills and gear.

Yep,when working away i used to carry 2 bodies for working and a spare,trips would cost to much money to come back with nothing :)

Handy to have two bodies with different focal length lenses when shooting weddings as well !

Just got a second body to replace long serving 20D that went kaput (shutter). Main body 1D MKII, second body a 70D. Reason for getting the 2nd body, makes life easier with lenses for shooting aviation and motorsport.

I personally carry 3 bodys a fx and fx digital and a film camera. I like having 2 digital bodies for convince because I normally shoot sports and the film cameras small and light so it's worth it to carry around to take a few shots

Back