Second Garden Visitors!

Edit My Images
Yes
So following on from this thread click me, mission control bought some Nyjer Seed and was assured that we would have Goldfinches within a fortnight. Well the lady in the farm shop was right!

Goldfinches-3 by FrogDriveR1, on Flickr

Goldfinches-4 by FrogDriveR1, on Flickr

We've now had two males and a female so im really chuffed and they keep coming back and are happy to stay a while.

So with a renewed bit of interest ive built this

Goldfinches Perch by FrogDriveR1, on Flickr

Now this is the prototype and it was kind of thrown up yesterday in between torrential rain. I put some Nyjer seed on top of the log but the birds still prefer the feeder, any tips on how to attract them to the log for some better shots and any other food to attract difffernet species?

Lucky you. It took about 12 months before they arrived at mine. I now get a pair of Goldfinches and a pair of Greenfinches.

What food have you been using? our biggest problem is it being a new and very treeless estate!

:)
We now get about half a dozen visiting our feeder (well, the neighbours feeder. :) )

sunheart seeds are what we use, and you are right, they do love them!

:)

Sunflower hearts on the log.

Your background will be pants though, wooden fence. Maybe get some green fabric on it?

Gouge a "trench" in your log, chainsaw works well, fill "trench" with seed, birds will land and eat it.

Sunflower hearts on the log.

Your background will be pants though, wooden fence. Maybe get some green fabric on it?

Gouge a "trench" in your log, chainsaw works well, fill "trench" with seed, birds will land and eat it.

good advice about the backround, also maybe try bringing it foward which will help alot,

Thanks for all the advice, i'll get some sunflower hearts on monday and some more seed! Just moved the whole lot forward a metre or so.

Id been thinking about the crappy fence as a backdrop and was thinking of a bit of old cam net from an army surplus shop, although what mission control will make of that might be interesting!

If anyone else wants to put images of there feeder set ups feel free, might make some useful tips.

Missus put up a stick-on window feeder to attract the birds near to the kitchen window ... didn't have the heart to tell her the only thing that comes into the garden is #$*& magpies!

Missus put up a stick-on window feeder to attract the birds near to the kitchen window ... didn't have the heart to tell her the only thing that comes into the garden is #$*& magpies!

What feed are you using? Makes a huge difference...

Sam

Looks like standard supermarket bird feed ... bit like a cheap meusli :puke:

Id been thinking about the crappy fence as a backdrop and was thinking of a bit of old cam net from an army surplus shop, although what mission control will make of that might be interesting!

In the last house i lived in I planted a fast growing hedge , I describe it like that 'cos I cant remember how to spell it !!!!!!! :help: It grows 20in per year .Leilandi , Lleylandi sorry still cant spell it :help:

Camo net would work all you would need to do was to pull the structure three or four feet from the net to get the net out of focus.

Back