Second Hand or Brand New Studio Flash?

Name
Andrew
Edit My Images
Yes
A while ago I started a thread asking for advice on lighting for photographing my oil paintings. I got excellent guidance and this kit was suggested: LENCARTA SMARTFLASH 4 600WS LIGHTING KIT WITH 2 SOFTBOXES (300/300) Which retails at about £350. My wife agrees I need them and so around £350 is my budget. But can I do better with that budget and buy second hand equipment?

You might get a good deal buying used.
I've bought used a few years ago and got a great deal on gumtree from someone local.
The godox kits on Ebay look good, but watch the softbox size.
The lencarta softboxes are 85x85cm whereas the ones linked to above are only 60x60cm.

You might get a good deal buying used.
but watch the softbox size.
The lencarta softboxes are 85x85cm

This is for photographing oil paintings, does that extra 15cm really make a difference? Why not larger still?

You may be able to get exactly the same kit second hand (or with the earlier model, the SmartFlash 3, which I personally prefer) but there's a degree of safety when buying electronics from a reputable Company with a 3 year warranty.
This is for photographing oil paintings, does that extra 15cm really make a difference? Why not larger still?
Well, as discussed in your previous thread, bigger is better, within reason, for this purpose - more versatile. Small softboxes will need to be positioned at a greater distance, sometimes you may want to do this, sometimes not, but if you get softboxes 25cm smaller then you'll lose that option.

I’d go larger, your choices are IMHO:
Ring Lencarta with a list of requirements and they’ll spec you a custom kit with great after sales.
create your own spec list and then look for all the kit at best prices new or s/h and save a few quid.

there’s no right answer; it depends on your personality.
For info I’ve a mix of Lencarta gear and eBay / amazon items.

Just to add, if you do talk to Lencarta about a custom kit, you might want to consider using the Lencarta Profold softboxes rather than the standard ones IF you are intending to have this as a temporary setup - IE Set up, spend a few hours photographing painings, then pack away until a week or two later.

https://www.lencarta.com/all-produc...ng-softbox-lencarta-70x100cm-sof030?filter=22

They do cost a bit more, but if you had both to hand, I guarantee you'd reach for the Profold type every time - setup and take down is so much quicker and easier (and involves less swearing :)) !

Just to add, if you do talk to Lencarta about a custom kit, you might want to consider using the Lencarta Profold softboxes rather than the standard ones IF you are intending to have this as a temporary setup - IE Set up, spend a few hours photographing painings, then pack away until a week or two later.

https://www.lencarta.com/all-produc...ng-softbox-lencarta-70x100cm-sof030?filter=22

They do cost a bit more, but if you had both to hand, I guarantee you'd reach for the Profold type every time - setup and take down is so much quicker and easier (and involves less swearing :)) !
Good point, and the quality of the light is also better.

I'm just about to contact Lencarta to enquire about:
PROFOLD FOLDING SOFTBOX | LENCARTA | 70X100CM
LENCARTA SMARTFLASH 4

Thanks for the advice - I couldn't have got my head around this without it. It's a long way from my K1000 and natural lighting days...

Lencarta were out of stock with the Smartflash4. July is the earliest. Their suggestion of VISICO 4 was too dear. What would make a good alternative to the Smartflash 4 - similar budget?

Lencarta were out of stock with the Smartflash4. July is the earliest. Their suggestion of VISICO 4 was too dear. What would make a good alternative to the Smartflash 4 - similar budget?
The supply chain has been difficult since the pandemic began.
When I worked there they often had second hand units that didn't make their way onto the website, so it's probably a good idea to ask them - and BTW, the SmartFlash 3 is just as good, if they have any of those.

Agreed, I have a pair of Lencarta Smartflash 3's can't fault them :)

Too expensive for what it is (the Bowens Digital DX range is 30+ years old?), it's probably too powerful which means it won't go very low and it's listed as collection only.

If you want second hand look for something more recent like a Bowens Gemini 200/400 kit or Elinchrom D-lite IT/RX around the £300 mark, if you don't have specific requirements then you may as well make a good saving.

I've contact several dealers asking if anyone has Smartflash, but no luck. One dealer has offered a Elinchrom D-Lite RX One Flash Head, as an alternative. Any thoughts on that?

I've contact several dealers asking if anyone has Smartflash, but no luck. One dealer has offered a Elinchrom D-Lite RX One Flash Head, as an alternative. Any thoughts on that?
Yes, that's a decent unit. Low powered, but you can get around that by increasing the ISO, assuming that the ambient light levels are low.
Has the Elinchrom accessory mount, but many light modifiers are available in that fitting, although not all.

Back