Beginner Second Lens or Replace Existing

Name
Mark
Edit My Images
Yes
Hi All,
I like my 50mm S lens but somestimes its a bit too close, I have a FTZ 2 adapter so I have around a £350 budget and would like advice on which way to go, the S lenses are getting silly in price a 35mm is around £500 used ans £800 new. My choices are keep the 50 and buy a used 24-70 F4 around £360, same again but a 35mm 1.8G ED, around £300, same again but a 24-120 F4G ED VR, around £300 or sell the 50mm and try and find a 24-120F4. Most images are for family and grandkids.

Any advice would be welcome.
Thanks
Mark

Ya know what, I like zoom lens, all I own are zooms. All I own right now are an 18-200 Tamron, 35-135mm Nikon, 55-300 Nikon and170-500 Tamron. Oops, forgot. Have a 70-200 Nikon also. Got all my base's pretty well covered. But the most used lens by fat is my 18-200 Tamron, would not surprise me if I couldn't remember how to get it off! two nice things about my 18-200 lens, If I don't need to go down to 18mm, I don't have to but when I do, it's there. Same can be said for the 200mm side! I am not a pro so expensive specialty lens I have no need for! Really nice couple lens I had in the film days was an 18-105mm Nikon and an 18-140mm Nikon, think that's what it was. Pretty easy just to go buy a new lens for some perceived need, quite a bit harder to come up with the money.

Had a 645 Pentax years ago but nephew got into pro stuff and needed it more than I did. Don't recall the lens I had on it but definitely a zoom. If you got that 24-120 I suspect it would do pretty much all you need. Then maybe your a pro, just don't sound like it. Then you might actually have a need for special lens, who knows maybe you could even afford them! be a shame if you spent to much on lens and had to work more to pay for them and no time left to go use them! I really loved my Pentax 645 and it didn't wear out my wallet! But then I was single and had a support payment for one kid I could actually afford! makes a huge difference. The picture's you get with the lens you can afford will be better than those with the lens you can't afford.

I have the 24-70 f4 with my z6ii that I used when we go away and it is a good lens.

All other times I used the fx 24-70.f2.8 with the ftz adapter.

The thing that's nice with a 24-70 f4 is that it's relatively small. I prefer a 24-120 as a walkabout lens but it can be a bit bulky.

The 24-70/4 and 24-120/4 are both excellent lenses. Just depends whether you think you'll use the extra length of the 120.
On z6 yes on z8 or z9 no.

Interesting. I used the 24-70/4 on a Z6. What did you find problematic with it on the Z8/9?
High resolution sensor needs high resolution lenses. When you look at corners usually only good primes will do

Back