Second Nikon Body ....

Name
Ben
Edit My Images
Yes
Quick question... My main focus is Landscape and Wide Field Astro Photography but lately I've stated taken some Wildlife photography and bought my self the Nikon 80-400 to go with my Nikon d750 but I'm feeling if I bought another crop body it would help me because of gain some length and my d750 shutter count wouldn't fly through the roof

A good friend of mine has offered me his Nikon d5300 so the question is

During normal daylight where the ISO would be low do you think I'd be able to tell it wasn't taken on the D750?

Yes, but not in the way you may imagine or at web sized resolution. My full frame files have a different look to the ones off my D7100 as they did with my d7000 before it, I prefer dx for wildlife and the smoother look of full frame for people.

Yes, but something else and arguably more important to consider is AF. The D750 is considerably better and you should get a considerably higher hit rate. Maybe the TC-14e III would be a better option? FF tend to crop better too.

I use 1", Dx/Dx crop, and FF.... and I have no idea what Mark is referring to.

There are several other factors to consider... If your 80-400 is not the later AF-S version it will not autofocus on the D5300. The D5300 has no AF f/8 compatibility. The D5300 has a 39pt AF system (about equiv). The D5300 pixels are ~ 1/2 the size so they will diffraction limit earlier (technically ~ f/5.6) and they will be noisier (color noise) at any ISO. The other side of this is that if the lens is sharp enough, and used at a wide enough aperture, the smaller pixels will resolve finer detail (if displayed large enough to see them). The D5300 has a lower FPS. And although I have not used either camera personally, I have seen many similar spec camera models have notably different AF performance; your D750 will probably trounce the D5300 making the D5300 AF feel like a handicap.

Honestly, using a DX sensor for "reach" is no different from a digital crop in post. If you have enough pixels remaining for the desired print/display size from a D750 crop I see no benefit.

IMO for wildlife it goes in this order:
Get closer
Use a longer lens
Add TC
DX sensor/crop
The last two are a fairly even tradeoff between light and actual detail magnification/size (for me, the TC wins if you have enough light and the combination is sharp).

Thanks for all the info I decided to not bother and just go with what I had the D750 and the 80-400 AF-s and I have to say I'm over the moon! Loved the trip and I've got so many more keepers that I imaged I've convinced my self I now don't need another body I'll just use the D750 till its old and then buy a newer model but for what I need I bloody love it!

I found it focused pretty darn quick and accurately and also more often when I selected 9 point on single point it seemed like it wouldn't catch focus as often

All in all it was an amazing trip

Back