Beginner Second outting with camera

Name
Alice Molloy
Edit My Images
Yes
Took a trip up to Maldon last weekend to get some more practice in. These were some of the results... constructive comments welcome.

I am quickly learning, that you may take 100+ photos for only 1 or 2 to make the cut.

Attachments

• IMG_0223 copy.jpg
    IMG_0223 copy.jpg
    78.1 KB · Views: 123
  • IMG_0227 copy2.jpg
    IMG_0227 copy2.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 129
  • IMG_0231 copy.jpg
    IMG_0231 copy.jpg
    124.6 KB · Views: 123
Good second set, with the second photo I wonder if you could have got a little separation between the teeth of the second cog and the rim of the first by shooting slightly lower?

Good second set, with the second photo I wonder if you could have got a little separation between the teeth of the second cog and the rim of the first by shooting slightly lower?

Possibly, I see what you mean now. I think I need to get over the fact of looking like a t*** getting some photos.

I like the bird - looks sharp, clean background and well composed.

I can see what you're trying to do with the industrial gear wheels. Had they been lined up (nothing you could do about that), then a tunnel effect may work, but I can't see which of them you are trying to make the main subject.

The boat - I don't think this works. You either need more of the boat, or focus more on details - the name, the rigging or the anchor.

I like the bird - looks sharp, clean background and well composed.

I can see what you're trying to do with the industrial gear wheels. Had they been lined up (nothing you could do about that), then a tunnel effect may work, but I can't see which of them you are trying to make the main subject.

The boat - I don't think this works. You either need more of the boat, or focus more on details - the name, the rigging or the anchor.

Something more like this? It's not perfect I know but can see what I was trying to achieve.

Attachments

• IMG_0237 copy.jpg
    IMG_0237 copy.jpg
    157 KB · Views: 54
I would say the Bird is probably the best of the three photos.
The Gears don't look pleasing to my eye because of the blurry foreground, which i would assume is because of the depth of field perspective you chose to use?
However i think i understand what you were trying to achieve there and the subject certainly has the makings of an interesting photo.
And the Boat photo is all a bit of a jumble in it's composition, and my eye doesn't know where to look or where the point of interest is that should be drawing me in.
Please take my comments in the spirit in which they are meant, and that is for constructive criticism.
Im quite new to photography myself and although technically i know my way around my camera, i do sometimes struggle with composition and producing "interesting" photos!
These are just a couple of the things i personally need to work on and improve.

@AliceinWonderland

I like the shot of the starling but the sky is a bit lack lustre. Would a polarising filter give it a bit more impact or maybe a bit post processing.

I did a quick edit, didn't turn out quite as I hoped but you get the idea?0.jpg

I like the bird shot the best
the black and white choice for the cogs is perfect
The composition on the third one needs more thought there are too many disappearing features

On the boat one I would drop your shot viewpoint slightly to get the full anchor in, then lose some of the sky as the upper portion is wasted with to much sky and not enough interest, I would then up the contrast slightly, look up the three point rule and use the bottom left point to situate it over or near the anchor if that makes sense, at the moment it lacks a definite point of focal interest..... If that makes sense.

I like the bird shot the best
the black and white choice for the cogs is perfect
The composition on the third one needs more thought there are too many disappearing features

Hey! Thank you for all the comments, I did in fact edit the bird one in PS (you have the unedited version here). I am getting better... although with shots like birds and animals I find I'm just shooting quickly to get the image before they move, therefore not worrying about composition.

Back