Second try with the 50D and new settings.

Name
Tony
Edit My Images
Yes
Thanks to all those that gave constructive criticism in my first post with photos from the 50D

I've taken on board all that's been said, and adjusted the settings accordingly.

With these I hav'nt done any noise reduction on purpose, to see if they're at an acceptable level.

All I've done is a touch of Shadow/Highlight correction, and a slight sharpen after resizing for the forum.

It's still an ongoing process, so any criticism would be most welcome :)

All taken with the 50D and the 10-400L at 400mm all at ISO 320, F7.1
Shutter speeds varied between 1/400s for the blue tit to 1/1250s for the male reed bunting.

Canon50D1544.jpg

Canon50D1574.jpg

Canon50D1808.jpg

Canon50D1655.jpg

Canon50D1663.jpg

Thank you for looking

The problem I have at the moment, is that I am working on a new monitor, that has not yet been calibrated. But to me these are very good indeed. Excellent.

Yep I think you are getting on top of it now Anthony (y). Btw which site are you uploading your pics to? It just seems to me that I have to sharpen some of mine a lot, just to make them look half decent via photobucket.

Huge improvement Ant -and much more the sort of resolution I'd expect to see. (y)

The problem I have at the moment, is that I am working on a new monitor, that has not yet been calibrated. But to me these are very good indeed. Excellent.

Thank you George :) hope your calibration goes well (oh...and me pics still look good after too :) )

these are starting to look a lot better m8, the 2 buntings are very nice (y)

Cheers Lea :) It's thanks again to the help I get on TP. Invaluable (y)

Yep I think you are getting on top of it now Anthony (y). Btw which site are you uploading your pics to? It just seems to me that I have to sharpen some of mine a lot, just to make them look half decent via photobucket.

Thanks Rich :) It's a lovely camera, is'nt it.

I use Photobucket as well, and I find the transformations from LCD screen on the camera to PC to Photoshop to Photobucket seem to have very little relation to each other. All vary to differing degrees, and no two seem to correspond exactly. I don't know what the answer is. A question to be asked in the technical section perhaps. At the least, you may get recommended a better photographic host than PB.

Huge improvement Ant -and much more the sort of resolution I'd expect to see. (y)

Thank you Cedric :) I'm starting to see the potential in the camera, which I would'nt have done without changing those settings. As I keep saying, there's still a way to go, but then there's allways something new to learn, and that's half of the fun. Thanks for all your help :)

Thank you Cedric :) I'm starting to see the potential in the camera, which I would'nt have done without changing those settings. As I keep saying, there's still a way to go, but then there's allways something new to learn, and that's half of the fun. Thanks for all your help :)
There's a tad more noise than I'd expect to see at that ISO on a couple, but still very acceptable I reckon. You'll get the best noise performance out of the 50D by not cropping or at least keeping the crops moderate, so that means getting closer or longer glass unfortunately - but these are pretty good.

Incidentally I've just had a male Greenfinch on the nut feeder - a first for me. Let's hope he becomes a regular. :banana:

There's a tad more noise than I'd expect to see at that ISO on a couple, but still very acceptable I reckon. You'll get the best noise performance out of the 50D by not cropping or at least keeping the crops moderate, so that means getting closer or longer glass unfortunately - but these are pretty good.

Incidentally I've just had a male Greenfinch on the nut feeder - a first for me. Let's hope he becomes a regular. :banana:

Thanks Cedric. I did wonder about the noise levels, that's why I left them as they were, for comments. I agree, probably just on the borderline of ok and not.

Longer glass is not an option for me unfortunatly, financial constraints etc :) I'll just have to get closer.

My main reason for geting the 1D mark2 was to be able to use the AF with a teleconverter, in an attempt to get round the expense of larger lenses. Either through incompetence or the equipment I lost too much IQ with it. I think it works better with prime lenses. That and the weight decided me on selling it and getting the 50D.

Hopefully your greenfinch, now he's found the feeders will remember his way back on a regular basis. Did you get a shot ? :)

I didn't get a shot - the gear is still packed up from the last trip out. :puke:

Wow Anthony, these are fabulous images and are pin sharp, looks like you're really getting to grips with your gear.

Superb set are these.

I didn't get a shot - the gear is still packed up from the last trip out. :puke:

I got my first close up glimpse of the 600mm prime the other day. Unlike my 100-400mm that stays on the camera lying about the house, I can see why that would be packed away :D It's bloomin humongous.

Wow Anthony, these are fabulous images and are pin sharp, looks like you're really getting to grips with your gear.

Superb set are these.

Thank you John :)

Last edited:
there all fanstic shots and i would like to now how much was croped if any at all.

cheers j

there all fanstic shots and i would like to now how much was croped if any at all.

cheers j

Thanks J :)

What you see is about ¼ of the original size. They were all taken from a hide at Wicken Fen.

Back