Security cameras

Sorry for the shorthand.

A NAS is a network attached storage in other words a set of external hard disk drives and an computer controller wired to ones router ( usually )

They are typically used to provide local file storage for ones computers, backups and also they are often used to store music and video files that can be accessed on a computer, laptop and smart TV.

They are not cheap - maybe £300-450 for a two disc unit and, to be honest, I only have one because of the business I run or ran from home.

They do seem popular for general home use these days - often by photographers - and so I mentioned this option in case you had one where it becomes a fairly simple and cheap way to record camera footage.

Definitely not necessary though - cloud storage and traditional surveillance video recorders etc. will do the job.

My fault entirely, I'm a bit useless at techie stuff so I get easily confused. Thank you for your clarification :)

Thank you. I would happily go with someting other than Arlo if it was good IQ and did the job. I''m tempted by Chris' stuff but not sure if I'm up to the challenge of the cabling etc.
What I don't think we've actually touched upon yet is if you did go the NVR route you can also get WiFi cameras that will work with it too. So for the easily accessed areas it is best to fit an ethernet powered camera. Then further away so long as you can access a power socket (which you probably have more of than ethernet ports) and have a wifi signal you can connect a WiFi camera. So long as it it on the same network as the NVR it should be picked up. The reolink cameras I have so far are all Wifi and can be hooked up to the Reolink NVR. I have this one: https://reolink.com/gb/product/e1-pro/ which costs £40 and also pans around. They also do this: https://reolink.com/gb/product/reolink-lumus/ which again can be positioned fairly easily and looks a bit like an Arlo. I think these should all work with both Hikvision and Reolink NVRs. The beauty is you can mix and match different products. Hikvision are higher quality than Reolink in general I believe but cost more. Reolink although also Chinese aren't banned in the US unlike HikVision who are partially state owned...

The other thing I am looking to do myself is to get a powerline wifi extender which will give me an ethernet port a long way from my router and simply run an ethernet cable from there to a more remote camera. Avoiding myself the trouble of running a camera all the way through the house.

Edit: I am not aware of any battery powered cameras that record to an NVR much as I tried to find one.

Last edited:
With the NVR can i still watch the cameras on my iphone etc when I was away from home?

With the NVR can i still watch the cameras on my iphone etc when I was away from home?
On Reolink, yes you definitely can. With HikVision and others, almost certainly as well. You can also set them up to receive motion notifications to tell you when you might want to watch your live stream.

Still looking at all these options and still trying to decide. I'm a bit puzzled. The Eufycam 2c etc is the only point in using them with Homekit securevideo just to give you cloud storage access? Are all the other features available without Homekit? I'm asking because the 2k cameras don't work with homekit and according to a review I watched. they don't seem to detect motion as well as they do when just using the Eufy hub

Also with the Reolink cams which have an SD card inside them once the SD card is full does it just record over the oldest.

Last edited:
I know I know. Busy night here!

Anyway I watched this which made me consider. I'm not swayed by the wired options and I'm wondering if this would be a good option saving me shopping around for the bits separately. Would I be making a mistake as it might stop me using as wide a variety of cameras etc?

Also and this is not the only concern I have abou going for the wired alway on set up: a lot of the wiring might have to be outside due to inner household issues. Is this a downside? I'm guessing someone would cut it and so easily take it down even with the protective measures like covering wires, he mentions. There's bound to be a weak link and try as I might I don't seem to be able to find an easy way to have the cables crossing the house to the necessary specific wall areas where the cameras will be mounted. This is the only reason I'm still considering the wireless battery cameras.

Another thought. Are there really small cameras no one can see which you can use outdoors? I thought a couple of these as insurance might be a good idea. If the exist, that is.

Last edited:
Still looking at all these options and still trying to decide. I'm a bit puzzled. The Eufycam 2c etc is the only point in using them with Homekit securevideo just to give you cloud storage access? Are all the other features available without Homekit? I'm asking because the 2k cameras don't work with homekit and according to a review I watched. they don't seem to detect motion as well as they do when just using the Eufy hub

Also with the Reolink cams which have an SD card inside them once the SD card is full does it just record over the oldest.

Yes Reolink cameras will just start recording over the oldest footage once full. You can however set a schedule on recording so it's only at night or while you are work for example.

I know I know. Busy night here!

Anyway I watched this which made me consider. I'm not swayed by the wired options and I'm wondering if this would be a good option saving me shopping around for the bits separately. Would I be making a mistake as it might stop me using as wide a variety of cameras etc?

Also and this is not the only concern I have abou going for the wired alway on set up: a lot of the wiring might have to be outside due to inner household issues. Is this a downside? I'm guessing someone would cut it and so easily take it down even with the protective measures like covering wires, he mentions. There's bound to be a weak link and try as I might I don't seem to be able to find an easy way to have the cables crossing the house to the necessary specific wall areas where the cameras will be mounted. This is the only reason I'm still considering the wireless battery cameras.

Another thought. Are there really small cameras no one can see which you can use outdoors? I thought a couple of these as insurance might be a good idea. If the exist, that is.

After a little bit of reading NVRs tend to be a little bit locked down so if you buy an NVR from one company it can be difficult to hook up a camera from another manufacturer. It might not be impossible but from a very quick read not plug and play either. I think the only completely flexible routes are a PC (doesn't have to be too powerful and expensive) running blue iris software or a NAS (also mentioned before) probably more expensive than the computer you would need for blue iris.

However, I think for the NVR shown this is the list of every compatible camera from Reolink (including WiFi options) B400; B800; D400; D800; RLC-410; RLC-410-5MP; RLC-410S; RLC-411; RLC-411-5MP; RLC-411S; RLC-411S-5MP; RLC-420;RLC-420-5MP; RLC-422-4MP; RLC-422-5MP; RLC-423; RLC-423S; RLC-511; RLC-520; RLC-522; RLC-510A; RLC-520A; RLC-810A; RLC-811A; RLC-820A; RLC-822A; RLC-1220A; E1 outdoor; RLC-510WA; RLC-511WA; C1; C1 Pro; C2; C2 Pro; E1; E1 Pro; E1 Zoom; Reolink Lumus; RLC-210W; RLC-410W; RLC-410W-5MP; RLC-410WS; RLC-411WS; RLC-411WS-5MP; RLC-422W; RLC-423WS; RLC-511W;RLC-422W-5MP

They have quite a broad product line...

Reolink also make various battery operated cameras called Argus. They won't record to the NVR but they will link up to the same app as the rest of the cameras. It's about the only brand that I know of where you can link up battery and wired cameras all within a single app. The battery cameras I think can be setup to email you a picture or even video of any motion alert so that does sort of amount to cloud storage...

If you went entirely Reolink here's the sort of system I could envisage:
  • Reolink NVR with 2 cameras located close enough to the NVR that are easily wired directly.
  • 2 or more WiFi cameras further away from the NVR such as the E1 pro or the Lumus which cover the points of entry from the inside
  • 2 or more Argus battery cameras that are easily placed high and out of the way outside which give motion alerts via email and to your phone via the app and cover the front and back.
That's my idea to try and minimise wiring ethernet cables all the way across your house, and I'm only touting Reolink because I'm familiar with their product range and they work ok for me (although I've only really used it for live streaming due to barely leaving the house for any length of time since I got them). I imagine that would cost a lot less than the highest end Arlo system and the indoor cameras would record 24/7 while you can use the email notification as a sort of cloud storage account.

Thank you Mickey.

That's great.

I've decided I'm not that bothered about cloud storage now. I kind of misunderstood all this before I started reading up on it and getting advice on here.

I'd be very happy to stick with one manufacturer if it meant I could have the advantage of wired. If i could get wired for the back of the house which is the danger area, I could buy a Reolink NVR kit with two wired cams for the back of the house and stick a couple of wireless cameras in the front of the house which is less exposed to threat.

Doing that presumably the two wired to the NAS would be able to do 24hr monitoring and be action triggered recording as set up and they would be much more efficient at this than the non-wired. The non-wired cameras wouldn't depend on internet, would use wi-fi to connect with the app and would only do action triggered recording while something moved, but where would the video be stored? I'm not getting that bit. Would they be controlled by the app but the video stored in an SD card in a hub? Does that mean I'd in effect have two different systems working?

Sorry if I'm not understanding

The second computer is a no-go for me

HIKvision NVR's can run the majority of branded POE cameras from across the market - the only one mine struggled with was a Reolink - so that went back - but I probably have 4-5 brands across my 16 cameras - all were plug and play,.

By non wired do you mean completely non wired as in battery? Those ones stores locally on an SD card and via the email notifications, they don't have a hub like Arlo and eufy. The wired WiFi cameras store on an SD card and can also record 24/7 on the nvr. They are still wired but easier to find a plug socket closer to the camera than am ethernet port.

Edit: I think if the Reolink Argus battery cameras could store their motion alerts on their NVR they would have a killer product there.

Its the wiring I'm struggling with though

Perhaps have a look at the Powerline option. This is what I use all over the place. Not as fast as proper ethernet wiring but I have had no issues.

You may need to try it out on your house wiring but on most modern ring mains it is usually fine

Here’s a brief explanation:
or just check amazon

My eufy cameras are fully wireless. Only the home base needs to plugged in to power. The cameras are battery powered and last a month or so. Or you can connect a solar panel if you prefer.

Just a thought - this probably started as a small project to buy some all-in-one solution to just stick up with a couple of screws and all would be dandy - but it might be turning into a bit more work to get exactly what you want. You might need to get someone in to help you get it all done if you want it done properly if you're worried about wiring :) I know sometimes we 'think' we know what we're doing (aka photographers!) but it can also be useful sometimes to get a bit of support in if we don't feel absolutely confident in doing what we're wanting to do. I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing it yourself - but don't get yourself all knotted up over it - I wouldn't want you getting disappointed from either settling for a second best option - or getting the best option and then having constant headaches trying to work out how to get it done.

By non wired do you mean completely non wired as in battery? Those ones stores locally on an SD card and via the email notifications, they don't have a hub like Arlo and eufy. The wired WiFi cameras store on an SD card and can also record 24/7 on the nvr. They are still wired but easier to find a plug socket closer to the camera than am ethernet port.

Edit: I think if the Reolink Argus battery cameras could store their motion alerts on their NVR they would have a killer product there.

Sorry I realise I wasn't clear in my post. I meant I'd have two cameras connected by POE directly to the NVR. They would be able for me to monitor 24/7 if I wanted and would have all the advantages I want. I understand the two battery Argus cameras are limited to recording events triggered by motion.

What I'm not clear about is the other two wi-fi cameras you mention.( E1 or Promus ) How do they connect please? They wouldn't record to the NVR would they? Could I view them 24/7 if I wanted? I'm sorry but I'm really new to this and struggling a bit

Just a thought - this probably started as a small project to buy some all-in-one solution to just stick up with a couple of screws and all would be dandy - but it might be turning into a bit more work to get exactly what you want. You might need to get someone in to help you get it all done if you want it done properly if you're worried about wiring :) I know sometimes we 'think' we know what we're doing (aka photographers!) but it can also be useful sometimes to get a bit of support in if we don't feel absolutely confident in doing what we're wanting to do. I'm not trying to dissuade you from doing it yourself - but don't get yourself all knotted up over it - I wouldn't want you getting disappointed from either settling for a second best option - or getting the best option and then having constant headaches trying to work out how to get it done.

A good point and I was beginning to wonder if i should consider that myself

O course there is always the thought " If you have cameras on your property you have something worth stealing" which may attract unwanted visitors

Sorry I realise I wasn't clear in my post. I meant I'd have two cameras connected by POE directly to the NVR. They would be able for me to monitor 24/7 if I wanted and would have all the advantages I want. I understand the two battery Argus cameras are limited to recording events triggered by motion.

What I'm not clear about is the other two wi-fi cameras you mention.( E1 or Promus ) How do they connect please? They wouldn't record to the NVR would they? Could I view them 24/7 if I wanted? I'm sorry but I'm really new to this and struggling a bit
The E1 and Lumus can record 24/7 to the SD card and also to the NVR (so long as it's the right model NVR).

all really good info ,but if I lived somewhere that needed that level of security the first option would be to move house.. the second and most useful option is a Alsatian or Rottweiler even a small yappy dog is a good deterrent , we have a poodle and nothing comes near the house without us knowing .
not yet had to chase anyone off with broadsword but its to hand in case :exit:

Last edited:
buy a vicious dog and take karate lessons lol lol lol
move to sitehill flats you'd be safer there that must be some scheme you live in
they all wear masks now so you canny see there faces for identification

Back