'SEED' Eden Project.

wontolla

Misery Guts Monica
Name
I'm not a Misery Guts and Monica is not my Moniker
Edit My Images
Yes
Took this quite a while ago and never been sure about it but keep coming back for a look.
Any thoughts?

Egg-1of1.jpg

Peter Randall-Page's work 'Seed' is an enormous 4 metre high granite carving at the Eden project in Cornwall. The 70 tonne granite sculpture was transported from De Lank Quarry on Bodmin Moor where it was quarried and carved.

I agree about the scale, I though it was some weird macro shot. Once you mentioned it was enormous I noticed the tiny paving slabs were not just an nice texture.

Unfortunately the "seed" is in a room not much bigger, with a ground level doorway that allows only a narrow view.

What he said above!
You have no idea how long I had to wait to get a clear shot! There is a little window overlooking the Seed, and I hung out of it for ages. Then a guy with another Canon camera came along, saw me above and held back the crowd while I got my shots. When I got down from my perch, he had disapeared, but I saw him later in the coffee shop, thanked him and paid for his coffee.
LINK to more info about the 'Seed'

Thanks everone for comments so far.

Last edited:
I remember going to Eden about 3 years ago and remember that the "seed" was only in a small room so not many angles to go for - remember deciding to go with an upward facing shot in the end, but I did then only have very basic equipment (strange colour is due to E6 developed as C41)

Eden Seed by boliston, on Flickr

Shot taken from lower viewing gallery, it is indeed very difficult to get a sense of scale, i thought it was such a pleasing shape though, very 'organic' - me, getting art, whatever next! :LOL:

DSC_5167b.jpg

Thanks Peeps.
It is a very tactile sculpture, not many can resist rubbing their hands over it. It is reckond that over time it will get 'Polished' by people and take on a whole new meaning. It's quite something, if you get the chance, have a look see!

Wow that wasn't there when I went.. you can see the line of slightly mucky hands. Your photo does make it look like a desk ornament! Strange trick of perspective :)

For those that are interested.
Taken on the 12th May 2010.
Canon 350d.
Focal length 18mm (18-55mm kit lens)
f 5.6
ISO 100
1/100 sec.
Partial meter mode.
No flash.
Hand held.

Once again, thanks for looking!

Back