Sekonic L-308x shutter speed issue?

Edit My Images
No
I’ve just purchased a Sekonic L308X flash meter and I’ve noticed when in flash mode the shutter speed cannot be set to anything higher than 1/500th second. Anybody know why this is because sometimes I need to set the shutter speed to 1/1000 of a second or even higher as I have high speed sync flash heads and I often need to set the shutter speed on the Sekonic light meter to 1/1000th shutter speed and have the meter give me the aperture based on that, but this meter only goes up to 1/500th in flash metering mode. Are other males/models the same as this seems like a naff limitation on this meter.

Attachments

• 3E3077F4-3832-483D-94BA-2F4B39A874E0.jpeg
    3E3077F4-3832-483D-94BA-2F4B39A874E0.jpeg
    73.9 KB · Views: 16
I have the L-308S version and same on that. maybe the answer is using something like this a CN-160 or a couple . One would fit nicely in DSLR hotshoe

iDZfaTf.jpg

. Just tried it at 1/1000 secM3490004m.JPG

AT LEAST IT IS A FAIRLY CHEAP WORK AROUND SOLUTION

Last edited:
That is an ambient, my Sekonic does the same, if you put it into “flash” mode it won’t go above one 1/500th.

Not sure what the CN160 thing is about as not relevant at all to my question.

You can't meter HSS - not with an L308 anyway. In continuous mode, the meter expects the light to just well, continue.... HSS mimics continuous light, but only when the shutter fires, and for as long as the shutter takes to complete it's sweep of the sensor. Fancier Sekonic meters can be triggered to start measuring continuous light for the desired exposure time ("shutter speed") but the L308 does not do this - hence it expects the shutter speed to be within reason for a normal flash and won't go up beyond 1/500th (some leaf shutters will go higher tbh, but hey, if you are paying leaf shutter money, you can afford more than L308 meter money. Only the 858 series from Sekonic measures HSS.

https://www.sekonic.com/united-states/products/all/comparisonchart.aspx

Last edited:
Metering a Godox AD600BM battery head with HSS, how would you recommend I take a meter reading, with head in HSS mode, or am I going to have to do some complicated math to work out exposure when using this head off camera in manual mode with remote trigger?

I think the answer comes down to:
chimping
buying the 858 series meter

Ah, thanks, Green. Yes, I do that, even with a black hood thrown over my head so I can see the tiny LCD even in the sun, and checking the histogram, but really like to have light meter reading too.

Anybody around here familiar with Godox AD600BM (manual, not TTL) flash heads and taking flash readings with HSS?

Anybody around here familiar with Godox AD600BM (manual, not TTL) flash heads and taking flash readings with HSS?

Set a test scene and photograph at x-sync, adjust by 1 stop as in 1/250 to 1/500 retake for correct exposure and see how many stops you increased the light by, next increase will be the same stops as you change camera by

Yes, bt only with the L858D, for the most part now I use the chipping technique. When taking a reading using HSS you need to take a shot so that camera can fie the flash, unlike just firing the flash in manual (non HSS) as you may normally do. That is my experience anyway.

Back