Sekonic L-718 light meter

Name
Chris
Edit My Images
Yes
Does anyone know why the lumisphere on the above light meter rotates both horizontally and vertically please? Can't think of any reason why it does this myself and no mention in the instructions.
Can't see why it would be of any benefit when you can just position the meter as you need it. Is it just a "gimmicky" thing?

It retracts to take pictures of flat objects, such as documents. Well that’s what the manual for my meter says. It’s not the 718 but the 858 but I assume it’s the same.

All movement of the lumisphere on a meter could be described as a gimmick.

I suppose theoretically it means that no matter what position you need the sphere you can read the screen, but most of us move the meter nearer our faces to read it.

As said it is simply so that you can ensure that the sphere is facing the right direction for your reading whilst you can still read the 'screen', in practice it is a bit pointless as the reading is held.... If you need to squeeze it into an awkward position I suppose it could have a purpose.

Thank you for the quick replies and it's just as I thought and just a gimmick and serves no real useful function. I certainly wouldn't be able to read the display from more than a few feet away and would have to hand hold it or get get close to it.
If the lumisphere was integrated into the body of the device (like the L-308s which I also have) it could be made much smaller and compact.
I've not used either the L718 or the 308 in any anger yet, it's something I'm just getting into. I'll try them out side by side and see which I prefer and sell the other.
Thanks

When incident light meters used selenium cells, it was essential that you could rotate the cell or they could become impossible to read as they had floating needles.
I still have two of that sort.
With modern meters it is far from essential, and some meters do not rotate, however it is convenient in some situations. Especially when taking brightness ranges.
In some ways it is a hang over from the original norwood director, and super director (which I have)

Last edited:
No it doesn't retract it rotates horizontally and vertically.
Screen shot of the meter below
View attachment 112536
Sorry I misread that, the later model does retract as mentioned. I guess the only advantage of the rotation is that you can swivel the head and read the display in either direction.

Last edited:
Back