Beginner Self-conscious

Name
Dominic
Edit My Images
Yes
As it says in the title, i'm a beginner. I have a problem with taking my camera out with me or out of the camera bag, i feel very self-conscious that people are watching me and thinking he hasn't got a clue what he's doing. As an example, me and the family (no kids, just oldies) went for a day out to the severn valley railway (steam trains), a good opportunity for me to get the camera out and practice on a subject that i am new to. But when we got there, the platform was full of people and many had nice expensive cameras and it's this situation that makes me self-conscious. I know we all have to start somewhere, what i'm asking really is, did anyone else feel like this and if so how did you get past it.
I'm lucky in that i can take photos around my home without anybody being around (i live on a 100 acre country estate, it's not mine, but i live and work there), this allows me practice in peace but only on wildlife, landscapes and anything you find in the countryside. This is great but i would also like nto try other types of photography.
Thanks for reading, i hope you can make sense of my ramblings.

As it says in the title, i'm a beginner. I have a problem with taking my camera out with me or out of the camera bag, i feel very self-conscious that people are watching me and thinking he hasn't got a clue what he's doing. As an example, me and the family (no kids, just oldies) went for a day out to the severn valley railway (steam trains), a good opportunity for me to get the camera out and practice on a subject that i am new to. But when we got there, the platform was full of people and many had nice expensive cameras and it's this situation that makes me self-conscious. I know we all have to start somewhere, what i'm asking really is, did anyone else feel like this and if so how did you get past it.
I'm lucky in that i can take photos around my home without anybody being around (i live on a 100 acre country estate, it's not mine, but i live and work there), this allows me practice in peace but only on wildlife, landscapes and anything you find in the countryside. This is great but i would also like nto try other types of photography.
Thanks for reading, i hope you can make sense of my ramblings.
You have nothing to feel self conscious about, no one is so bored with their own lives that they can tell that you are struggling.

I think most people have this kind of issue at some time or other. I'm sure that nobody is looking at you and thinking anything like that but if they are - stuff them - they had to start somewhere too.
I still get a bit conscious every now and then, but once I get on to things it soon passes.
My lad also gets a bit nervous when outside but he's getting better with it.
Persevere with it - you'll be fine:)

Please don't feel self conscious, as Phil said nobody will know if you are struggling, If a place is that busy is all anyone is thinking about is their own shots, let go and try and enjoy yourself..

Where are you based? maybe a mini meet to help you along or something might help

the platform was full of people and many had nice expensive cameras

Your problem is feeling insecure in front of them with your camera ... they have a similar problem, but in their case they feel insecure in front of you without their cameras :D

I wouldn't worry about people looking at you taking pictures, unless you are in there face they they probably won't even notice you. As for expensive equipment that doesn't mean anything.

Does having 'a nice expensive camera' mean that they know what they are doing or take better photos than you?

I doubt it.

Just remember this...we were running a photo course at a major retailers some years ago and invited the twenty or so attendees to take their cameras out of their bags so we could run through the controls. My colleague nudged me and said go and sort out the guy with the most expensive camera in the room...because he was holding it upside down! :)

Don't feel inadequate, just join in and nobody will even notice.

I find that when I'm photographing in a town (ie where there are people about), I'm so intent on my purpose that I care less about the attention of others than normally, so that may be an answer - be intent on your purpose (it's all in the mind).

Sometimes when I'm so occupied, though, strangers choose to engage with me who probably wouldn't've otherwise, so it can lead to a bit of human interaction and people revealing something of themselves - all good if you like people.

You want self conscious set up a large format camera near a major road, coming out from under the dark cloth and having folk watching or standing behind you is off putting to say the least.

You just have to get on with it, no one knows you don't know what your doing most folk won't even notice another camera.

As a beginner, you must keep at it, even if you feel awkward as sooner or later, you'll get some shots which you will be really proud of. It doesn't matter who is around, they won't remember you after a few seconds.

I am the other way,i feel very self-conscious if i don't have a camera with me, or our not taking photos,carry a bag with me 24/7

As the others say, there's absolutely no need to feel self-conscious about your photography, but the fact is, you do.
I was always painfully shy as a child and young adult and after taking up photography, I quickly realised that what appealed to me about it was that it gave me something to hide behind.
As my confidence in my abilities as a photographer increased, with lots of time and practice, so did my confidence generally, and I now no longer have the "issues" I once did.
When your out and about with your camera and there are other photographers about, watch how they go about things, pick one that looks friendly and receptive and go and speak to them. Ask them about an area of photography that is puzzling you.
I'll bet that they'll be flattered that you approached them and be more that happy to speak. Your confidence will soon grow to the point that you no longer consider it an issue.
In short, Sod 'em! :)

The only way to get over this is to bite the bullet and shoot. Keep shooting. Shoot some more.

But...

Before you shoot, see. Seeing is everything. Focus on your surroundings, really drink it in. Pictures are everywhere if you allow yourself to feel, open up and really look at the world. You can't do this and worry at the same time. Cultivate an eye for the world and your passion and excitement for what you see will override the fear.

Thanks everybody for taking the time to read and reply. I really know it shouldn't bother me, I'm just one of many people walking around with a camera. I will have to try and put this feeling of self-consciousness out of my mind.

..what makes you think that any of us know what we are doing with our cameras..?

Or is that just me !

I used to have a Canon 70-200 f2.8, which is a big 'pro' lens and it took me a long time to stop feeling like everyone was looking at me, just knowing I was a famous photographer who knew just where to be for the right shot blah blah blah..
One day I was out with it at an event where there were a few others with similar gear, and while waiting for things to start I asked one guy why he had his IS turned off - He didn't know what I was talking about. I rarely feel self conscious now.

Im similar, I feel judged whenever I use my camera in public. When other people are around i.e. touristy situations like the zoo, then it doesn't bother me. If its just local ie around my town centre then I feel like i'm doing something wrong. Easier said than done but I've got better by forcing myself to just do it, find a way of feeling as discreet as I can and then just practise. I've a long way to go though, and its probably why I have more interest (not ability!) in Macro stuff - I guess its kind of a retreat that I can do from my own home!

Just a thought. As most people are using camera phones these days, try taking some photos with yours and change over to your camera when people are used to you, if in a busy environment. May help to get you started using your camera and build your confidence.

I'm joining the local camera and photography club on Thursday. They hold talks and trips out between September and May with guest presentations. I'm hoping that this will help.

One other thing i'd suggest, over and above "just get on with it and do it" is this - when you're not actually out shooting, sit and "play" with the camera - practice setting f-stops or exposure speeds "by the click" - not looking at the screen or viewfinder - learn where the controls on the camera are so you can alter them without having to taking the camera from your eye to change them - the more familiarity you have with the kit, the less time and effort you're spending on the mechanicals of operating the camera, and the more time and effort you can put into the important things - composition and thinking about what you want the shot to say.

When other people are around i.e. touristy situations like the zoo, then it doesn't bother me. If its just local ie around my town centre then I feel like i'm doing something wrong.

This, I'm fine in situations where others have cameras it it's expected. But put me in a street or a park and I'm suddenly massively self conscious.

I would suggest just going and biting the bullet, but you have probably tried, so

Then I would suggest just going out with someone else,not even a photographer, just someone there whilst shooting, to chat to. Even a bonus if you could shoot with someone else.

Many people feel self-concious. But to different degrees.
If you've got it bad, you might like to try some therapies:
  • Go into town with a cheap old camera and take pictures amongst people. See if you feel any better.
  • Yes. The photography club is a good therapy too. Being amongst like minded people. And observe the way they do things. And take tips.
  • We do the odd photo scavenger hunt competition, where we have to approach strangers to get the shots. Quite tough for most people. But you build up courage over an hour or two.
I have one or two friends who have no qualms. They'll happily stand, kneel or crawl anywhere, do anything and approach anyone. They not only get away with, they get the shots! And wonder what my problem is. "Nine out of 10 people you approach say yes. And those that say no are normally nice about it".

Remember those strangers with super expensive cameras might appear to operate their cameras ok. But it doesnt mean their pictures are composed well or interesting to anyone.

Last edited:
Remember those strangers with super expensive cameras might appear to operate their cameras ok. But it doesnt mean their pictures are composed well or interesting to anyone.

Yup, 100% agree with this.

Makes me feel so much better !

In my experience a large proportion of people who are 'out and about' with expensive equipment (which is often physically quite large) are clueless. Quite simply, they think the big camera makes them look good - professional even. There are so many people like this it's untrue. Kit before skills. I get them all the time with trainees and mentees - I'm told about all the years they've been taking pictures and all the fantastic cameras and lenses they have. Then I see the photos. :eek:

There is nothing worse in my opinion than being 'out and about' with big or expensive equipment. I go out with a compact system of some sort, tiny enough to fit in my handbag. Why should we care what other people are carrying, or what complete strangers are thinking when they look at what we're doing? As has been said, I can't think of any earthly reason why they would be interested unless they happen to be curious about buying a similar gadget and want your opinion on it.

Photography is one of our national pastimes, there is nothing odd about wandering around with a camera about your neck. Dominic - if you feel insecure then start by going to the sort of places where everybody will have their cameras out, such as local events, animal parks, scenic places. I can assure you that the cost or size of anybody else's kit rarely has any bearing on their experience or skill level. As has already been said, the more you get out and practice the more natural it will feel.

I'm in the same boat, with being self-conscious I wonna get out there but...

I must admit I'm surprised how conscious I am, purely because normally I'm not, I'm the type of person who doesn't really care what other people think, and when rehabilitating Jones one of my dogs, wasn't nothing to literary roll around the floor, or prance around for distraction purposes when he'd hit flight mode so he'd start focusing on me!

But memories of deciding to have a crack at photographing steam trains with my humble point and shoot a couple years back where upon I got to Wiliton Station, to find the platforms pretty packed with men all with their SRL's posed at the ready, when I got my camera out I got the stare of 'yeah right' and 'bloody females'...... And it's dealing with the latter phrase holding a DRSL camera worries me, and yes to be honest at the moment I'm still learning how to use probably...

But I'm determined to resolve this somehow

[QUOTE="Ellie Jones, post: 7045195, member: 79689" all with their SRL's posed at the ready, when I got my camera out I got the stare of 'yeah right' and 'bloody females'...... And it's dealing with the latter phrase holding a DRSL camera worries me, and yes to be honest at the moment I'm still learning how to use probably...

But I'm determined to resolve this somehow[/QUOTE]

My question is: why do you care what they think?

And irrespective of what they think, how can that possibly make any difference to how you go about your day? One of the best ways of counteracting this is simply to stare back, smile, and say hello. Chances are they're staring at you because they're wondering who you are, not because you're female.

I really don't care what most of the populace think of me - I occasionally walk round to the post box in my pyjamas, I chat to my neighbours in the street in the same manner (occasionally with a mud face pack smeared all over my mush and an old leg warmer tying my hair back - dead glamorous).

Next time you go out, wear a bright purple shell suit, loud trainers etc. Then when you get stared at you can reassure yourself that they're not interested in what you're doing with your camera - what a relief! ;)

My question is: why do you care what they think?

I'm going have to shrug my shoulders on that one... cus I really don't know

Must admit I'm more adamant now after reading this thread,,,, After all the others maybe in the same boat as me lol...

It's easy to say that people shouldn't be self conscious. But if you are, it's not so easy to break out of it.

I've consciously worked hard at it for many years. As it doesn't come naturally to me. I have come a long way after having many useful experiences. I have mastered some situations where I am relaxed and fully confident. And others where it all comes crumbling down.

Last edited:
After all the others maybe in the same boat as me lol...

They probably are :)

Not me though!
I reckon it's fifty-fifty. Some people know what they are doing and they couldn't really care what others are doing.
The others are just willy waving.

If I'm looking at someone, I'm probably wondering if it's worth taking a pic of them :)

I'd suggest, Jo, that you get yourself along to a meet with TP!
I've thoroughly enjoyed the few meets I've had. It's just good to put faces to names and have a chin wag :)

It's easy to say that people shouldn't be self conscious. But if you are, it's not so easy to break out of it.

I've consciously worked hard at it. As it doesn't come naturally. I admire those who

Don't assume that self-confidence comes naturally or easily - in fact I'd wager most of us have probably had to overcome extreme self-doubt if not outright anxiety. That is certainly what it was like for me at times. Which is why I'm doing my best to help some of the respondents rationalise what it is that is holding them back. At the end of the day you have to bite the bullet and find a way to get yourself out there, otherwise you're going to be stuck in a rut forever.

Easy as I heard someone in the same situation in a loud voice say " I think I will use f8 for this shot " those into photography would think what a plonker, those not into photography would thnk he knows is stuff.

Just a side step.When my manageress and I went to a raptor center and took photos we retired to the cafe they had there.

Guy on the next table started ranting and cursing his new Nikon camera he bought the day before and claimed it was faulty and should have never bought a Nikon

. He really was doing his nut about it. So my manageress said I had Nikons which she borrowed sometimes, maybe she could help.He handed over the camera and my manageress,tried turning it on and nothing happened. Next she said can I have the battery that goes into it.

Well this guy went bright red, yes he not only had forgotten to put the battery in but also to charge it up.

Next thing was us seeing him storm out of the cafe blaming his wife for not reminding him.

Well we both looked at each other with raised eyebrows and smiled

Last edited:
I feel very concsous, I have an old camera Nikon D80 and have forgotten anything I used to know, so my photos are pretty rubbish when I get home to look at them. However, whilst I am out, particulary on holiday, as I was last week in North Wales, I just think to myself, nobody knows me, they wont see me again, and shrug it off. it helps a bit. but reading this does give me a bit more inspiration to go more local too. I am not a shy person normally, just have no confidence with the camera, because I dont know anything anymore, and its an old one. BUT. I love it when I am out..

so keep trying.

For me it's the getting into a position to get the shot I want and then thinking the people who may be watching me (but probably aren't) thinking to themselves "who does he think he is David Bailly".
I too have an old entry level camera.

I honestly am fighting this quite a lot myself, even to the point, I love this forum, have been on here for years, but wont post. but I am getting over it! It really does help to not take any notice of anybody. like people have said, it is mostly not even in anybody's thoughts.

For me it's the getting into a position to get the shot I want and then thinking the people who may be watching me (but probably aren't) thinking to themselves "who does he think he is David Bailly".

No they'd probably be thinking damn I wish I had the confidence to do that ;)

The other day I was out on a shoot where other photographers were also knocking about, and my subjects mates were also hanging around and taking the mickey both out of the poses I was requesting and me lying on the floor.

When I got up from the floor and showed them the rear screen, they were all really impressed. The bottom line is that a good photograph often requires 'odd behaviour', unfortunately the reality is that we have to learn to embrace that.

nobody knows if you know i or not, i was like you, just take it out ( the camera that is :) ) and enjoy it, the only part of Photography ive yet to Master is street and people, my dad just does it, I'm more conservative.
But ive only been following in my Dads footsteps for 6 months, and ive been everywhere with it, i even take it with me when i walk the dogs.

To be honest people actually talk to me more now with it, it seems to be taking off more.

Enjoy it

Some really good advice in this thread. It's just what I needed ( a kick up the jacksy) from now on I'm going to use the mantra ' I don't know you so why should I care'

When I got up from the floor and showed them the rear screen, they were all really impressed. The bottom line is that a good photograph often requires 'odd behaviour', unfortunately the reality is that we have to learn to embrace that.

Out of interest Phil - how long did it take you to get up? Because that is definitely the most embarrassing bit for me. I was out shooting a couple of weeks back and I had to get down onto the floor for a particular shot. I was on my own but it was one of those days when getting up again wasn't particularly easy (bad knees, Achilles tendon problems, RSI and a multitude of other wear and tear complaints). In the end a convenient passerby felt sorry for me and dragged me to my feet. The fact that they were probably wondering what I was up to really didn't figure in my predicament - I was just grateful there were other people around! :p

Back