Beginner Self-conscious

I tend to go along the lines of that similar to young children playing hide and seek. That is, I can't see you, so you can't see me!
I find if I concentrate on what I'm doing, I can be oblivious to people looking at what I'm doing. I doubt people are that bothered to be honest.

Out of interest Phil - how long did it take you to get up? Because that is definitely the most embarrassing bit for me. I was out shooting a couple of weeks back and I had to get down onto the floor for a particular shot. I was on my own but it was one of those days when getting up again wasn't particularly easy (bad knees, Achilles tendon problems, RSI and a multitude of other wear and tear complaints). In the end a convenient passerby felt sorry for me and dragged me to my feet. The fact that they were probably wondering what I was up to really didn't figure in my predicament - I was just grateful there were other people around! :p
I'm slightly overweight and have a dodgy knee, but I can get up and down unaided (for now).

Nobody knows that the final picture looks like so who cares. Preferably turn off all the bleeps and whistles, turn off the flash, and you're already half way to being pro ;).

I'm slightly overweight and have a dodgy knee, but I can get up and down unaided (for now).

I'm in a similar sort of shape (possibly a bit rounder!) and find that if I kneel on something a bit softer than the ground (a packed waterproof is enough for me), I can usually get up unaided. Go back a few years and I needed (but didn't want!) help getting up from a normal dining chair and that was a pain. Mended now (and the problem wasn't my weight or joints.) I've always found that getting down for a shot is easy compared to getting back up - gravity is a major help on the down slope! Flip out screens are a godsend IMO.

In my experience a large proportion of people who are 'out and about' with expensive equipment (which is often physically quite large) are clueless. Quite simply, they think the big camera makes them look good - professional even. There are so many people like this it's untrue. Kit before skills..

Yep....that'll be me then:)

To the OP, my view is surely it is more embarrassing to be 'clueless' and have great kit than to be a beginner with a modest camera. Of course when you are 50+ you don't care what anyone thinks.

For me it's the getting into a position to get the shot I want and then thinking the people who may be watching me (but probably aren't) thinking to themselves "who does he think he is David Bailly".
I too have an old entry level camera.

Last weekend I decided to have my first go at a bit of sports photography at my son's football match. My wife does more of the ferrying around than I do so my face is not that well known amongst the usual crowd at the games so I was a bit sheepish about doing this and as I walked on to the park with my monopod and long lens I got a few "David Bailly" type comments. I just smiled, jokingly offered to take their picture and got on with it. Once I was into it I was fairly oblivious to what was going on outside of the game and TBH I think once they saw that I was serious they shut up too.

You have my sympathy, despite carrying a bit of weight for the last 10 years, this year is the first time I've felt it stopping me doing things, so now I need a strategy to lose a bit (but beer is so nice :( )

Well I'd advise you to avoid exercise - that seems to create more problems than it solves! :eek:

I reckon a logical approach will work - for example just by having one less pint than normal - that would probably make a genuine difference over a few weeks/months. Plus you won't feel that you're depriving yourself too much. One of my neighbours did something similar and put the money saved into a pot - he now has enough for a very nice holiday (probably to his favourite overseas beer festival) ;)

Last edited:
Last weekend I decided to have my first go at a bit of sports photography at my son's football match. My wife does more of the ferrying around than I do so my face is not that well known amongst the usual crowd at the games so I was a bit sheepish about doing this and as I walked on to the park with my monopod and long lens I got a few "David Bailly" type comments. I just smiled, jokingly offered to take their picture and got on with it. Once I was into it I was fairly oblivious to what was going on outside of the game and TBH I think once they saw that I was serious they shut up too.

They sound like a nice bunch - most people get more than stares when they try to photograph children's sporting events, even with their own children taking part!

They sound like a nice bunch - most people get more than stares when they try to photograph children's sporting events, even with their own children taking part!

Yes they are a nice bunch and I was concious of that aspect but we are talking about spotty, gangly teenagers here, not little cherubs.Also they are happy to take and show pictures at the annual awards ceremony so I guess their isn't a lot of difference.

As it says in the title, i'm a beginner. I have a problem with taking my camera out with me or out of the camera bag, i feel very self-conscious that people are watching me and thinking he hasn't got a clue what he's doing. As an example, me and the family (no kids, just oldies) went for a day out to the severn valley railway (steam trains), a good opportunity for me to get the camera out and practice on a subject that i am new to. But when we got there, the platform was full of people and many had nice expensive cameras and it's this situation that makes me self-conscious. I know we all have to start somewhere, what i'm asking really is, did anyone else feel like this and if so how did you get past it.

No.. I've never felt that. Why are you feeling that?

This needs a no-nonsense answer to set you straight immediately.

First of all... just because they have nicer cameras that you, means nothing. Cameras do not take photographs.. people do. I know loads of people with fantastic equipment who are completely s**t photographers, and just as many who use very basic gear who are truly amazing. No one will care about you, or wonder how good your photographs are, as you're just another person.. one amongst many. Why would they be concerned about you? Just enjoy your day out and stop worrying.

Ultimately, you can take this advice, or you may as well just sell your camera and move onto something else. That's not meant to be harsh, or unkind, it's kind of a reality: If you never ever get your camera out of the bag if anyone can see you, then you're going to be extremely limited in terms of where you can go and what you can do.

At a place like a heritage railway, there will be an endless supply of blokes with cameras and you will just be one amongst many.. completely unremarkable.

Seriously... forget this silly fear of people thinking less of you because they have "Better" cameras. If someone is s**t with a crap camera, they'll be every bit as s**t with a fantastic camera. If cameras took photos and not people, what exactly is the point? Your camera would be responsible for your work, not you. Why would THAT be of interest to you? Some of my best work was done with very simple equipment. Film cameras for example... merely a light tight box that holds the film flat for you... they're all the same. Sure, some digital cameras are feature rich, or have very high resolution etc... but it's all down to what you point it at that matters.

Your camera is NOT a measure of you as a photographer.. your photographs are. So.. have you seen THEIR photographs? That guy with the D810 or 5D MkIII may be utterly crap for you all you know :) In fact.... assume he/she is, and in all likelihood, you'd be right more often than not.

All the gear.. no idea... that's usually the case.

Last edited:
So I went and joined the local camera club last Thursday. It was the first of the season, so was more geared towards welcoming new members and running through their seasons calendar of events.
One of there biggest problems is retaining new member, this seems to be because they are put off by the high quality of other members photos. So they got a few of members to show some of their early work from when they joined. Well I'll put it this way, those photos haven't put me off going again. They weren't the best.

No one really cares what other people are doing. Everyone is too busy making it through their own lives. Just do what you do and don't worry about what other people think. They really aren't thinking about you!

Glad to hear you joined a community. As a beginner myself I started off feeling a little awkward but after a while you tend to notice so many people with SLR's now that everyone is doing the same thing pretty much, whether they're good at it or not. As others have said, worry more about your intent rather than what people think you're doing!

No one really cares what other people are doing. Everyone is too busy making it through their own lives. Just do what you do and don't worry about what other people think. They really aren't thinking about you!

This.
Social anxiety is really common with or without a camera. An ex of mine only really carried a camera so she could hide behind it, her words not mine ...

Back