Self Portrait Help

Name
Trev
Edit My Images
Yes
Hey All,

I quite enjoy taking strange self portraits for practise but am running out of ideas (and have already copied a few I've seen online)... Anyone have any interesting ideas I could give a try?

At my disposal I have:
- Panasonic G1
- 45-200mm lens
- 14-45mm lens
- Wide angle convertor
- A choice of reflectors
- Tripod(s)
- Remote wireless trigger
- Several gels for lights (but only desk lamps etc at my disposal...)

Here are some I've done already:

4995999806_dd80f32c77.jpg

4995975870_93015437bb_o.jpg

4995976040_96043160ef.jpg

4995369041_d24a29f4aa.jpg

Any ideas welcome, no matter how ridiculous ;)

Many Thanks - Trev

Last edited:
Thanks, with a different background that would have come out even better - one of my favourites too...

Cheers - Trev

Maybe try out some reflections? I love having fun trying to take photos of myself in weird reflected surfaces (strangest was probably someones eye). Cant remember the name of the artist but its a black and white artist that is reflected in a ball he is holding that was my original inspiration, one day I want to try to replicate it as a photo if I can. With and without camera is also fun.

Sounds good, will find some shiny things :)

Cheers - Trev

How about something along the lines of this.

Me_dark_small_1.jpg

All I used was a wide angle lens and a camera pop up flash. Most of the "effect" was created simply by pushing and pulling the raw file to within an inch of its life, but I'm sure with some decent gear (which it appears you do have) it can be done without all that faffing about in post.

I remember seeing one on here where they had placed the camera inside a bread bag but I guess any bag would do, another one similar to the first one was done by Robbo where he did one of those shots where you appear in it several times he had a shot of him cutting his own head off and it falling into a basket have a look on his flickr

I would say backgrounds are the weak point but its hard to throw them out of focus with the 45mm leica let alone the lenses you have, I would try to make them uncluttered though and choose a plain wall or curtain.
Another thing that could be fun to try is putting the lens on 14mm, set the largest aperture you have in Av mode then walk down the street and holding the camera at arms length take self portraits as you go about your daily life, you could even stitch the resulting photo's together into a time lapse.. Oooo theres another idea, do the same thing but set the timer to take shots at fixed intervals, then when stitching it together you can speed up the walking about shots and slow down when you reach different objectives, such as buying things at the local shop.. then speed up for more walking.. then slow again for the next venue.. I'm sure you get the drift.

Other than that you have to delve deep inside yourself and start revealing the real you, warts and all.

Try some jump shots. They work really well if you can make yourself lighter than the background.

Back