Self Portrait

dlh

Name
Darren
Edit My Images
Yes
Inspired by DJW I decided to give this a go. Think I'll have to pick up a copy of PP for more help but I'm brave enough to ask you lot for comments first :nut:

Shot on the mkII 50mm f/1.8 at f/5.6 and 3/10sec my face was lit by a single lamp, using the self timer (I really need a cable release!). Quite happy with it but finding it hard to judge focus from the wrong side of the camera :confused-

Adjusted levels to darken and used channel mixer to convert to b&w and burnt out any detail from the left side of the face and the right shoulder. Cloned out a couple of stray hairs from my ageing eyebrow. Added a little USM.

Anyway, my first post in a long time. Fire away.

me800.jpg

That's a great effort. I just think that the sudden cut-off of light on the left looks a bit too sudden and unnatural, and the heavy shadow in the eye socket isn't helping. Hell it's only my opinion anyway. :)

Hope you didn't mind me having a play?

me800.jpg

I think it's great, per se, except I might have likes to see the full head rather than cut off.

regards

I think you could use CT's crop as the basis for your "Photography Business Card" that would be very striking and also make you instantly recognisable.

Like the cropped shot a lot, plus you've managed to capture the all important catch light in the eye....great 1st shot !!!.

Can see you changing your avatar now ;)

CT: Thanks. Little more detail in the eye would help... trying to hide the naturally dark patches under the eyes :) Positioning looks better.

Jewel: Only on the weekend :D

stepheno: Much better if I can hide as much of my face as possible :icon_eek:

Steve: Hadn't thought of that. Business cards for passing out to all my closest friends ;)

DJW: Thanks. Just have to work out how to change it!

Shots like that inspire me to try something different like you have :thumb:

P-E said:
Shots like that inspire me to try something different like you have :thumb:

Shots like that make me think 'why the hell didn't I think of that?'

Excellent shot, I love the quality of light you managed to capture.

Well I had to change my avatar after advising others ;)

Thinking more about the shot I took, I looked to use natural light for better tones, but have now realised that if converting to B&W it's not quite so important. Therefore I'll also give the method above a go

Now if I tell you I like it, it doesn't mean I fancy you! :D I think it is a great shot, the crop improves greatly and the Business Card is a great idea.

Happy with the crop now. Loaded CT's effort into CS and the brightness went right up... too light :) Have settled on this slightly darker version although I removed some of the shadow under the eye (well a little). Think I prefer it this way.

Thanks to everyone for their comments and help :thumb:

me800a.jpg

I did a self-portrait a week or so ago that was surprisingly similar in style to this one.

Damned if I'm posting it though. Might if a few more people post theirs first. ;)

we already had a thread like that with all our mugs, I know cause I started it. :) They weren't professionally done though. Just mugs,so go ahead and post it! :)

Jewel

jewel said:
we already had a thread like that with all our mugs, I know cause I started it. :) They weren't professionally done though. Just mugs,so go ahead and post it! :)

Jewel
No fair! I wasn't here then!!

I'm not doin a solo!! :flipoff: :flipoff: :flipoff: :naughty:

jewel said:
Than search for the thread and add on to it silly man! ;)

's exactly what I was just doing. No luck yet tho since I don't quite know what it is I'm searching for...

well your going waaay back to Jan of this year, not long after this forum was created by Steve and his crew I think. I would presume it's probably buried. I believe it was just called "self portraits", and I started the thread cos I was curious,lol :D

LoL

I must have missed that, maybe time for a new one? We have quite a few new faces on here now.

dlh well volunteered for starting it :)

maybe time for a new one? We have quite a few new faces on here now
nah just rig the next bi-weekly thing-a-my to be self portraits.
Hopefully we'll get some quality shots like dlh's instead hurried uncomposed snapshots.

Back