Self portrait

Name
daniel
Edit My Images
Yes
A quick self portrait combining the two things I love most.. Guitar and photography :) what do you think? Thanks, dan.
lightbox

hahahhaa i sent from my iphone and it didnt work so tried on my laptop and forgot my password and then its been a nightmare trying to get back on !! :(
hopefully it will work this time!

grrr why is it not working? i am inserting an image from flickr?

Fantastic, I like those!

thankyou! :D i wasnt sure if they might be just a little too dark? btw they where taken with a nikon D90+Nikon 35mm 1.8 and a Nikon sb600 flash if anyone was interested :)

^Joe said:
Nice shots these. I am just making my way into the flash world, any chance you can describe how you did these?

Thanks! I taped some black bed sheets to a wall in my house I setup the camera on a tripod and a small stool to sit on, I messed around for a bit getting the crop and focus right and then setup my flash on another tripod to the side of me, facing me, I used manual settings, aperture of about 18 I think and shutter speed not too long so that the only light getting in would be from the flash, set the flash on remote and the on camera flash to master or command or whatever it is and then messed around with flash output and placement of the flash till I got something I liked :) hope this helped, dan.

P.s I also have one of those interfit soft box that fits to your flash, not very expensive an I think it's great!

Last edited:
Steven001 said:
I love #1 - when are you releasing your album? Looks like you've got the cover sorted!

Looks like a lovely guitar too, do you have any samples of you playing?

Hahahaa! Thanks! And I wish lol! It is a lovely guitar! My first acoustic! I'd like a Martin or Taylor at some point their great guitars! I don't sorry I've been meaning to get some recording equipment, I'm nothing special though only been playing about a year and half, not too bad thought and love playing everyday! :D Ive been learning today a Song by "the lumineers" called "ho hey" AMAAAAZING song!! Check it out you have probebly heard it on a tv advert already :)

^Joe said:
Thanks. So you're effectively stopping the ambient light, and not having much flash light, to achieve this?

Thanks

Yes stopping any ambient light and just messing around with flash output I think it was around 1/10 power. I wanted the photos to be very high contrast so say of you where taking more normal portraits it wouldn't matter so much about the ambient light :) honestly the best way anyone can learn what affects what is by playing around with everything, the aperture, shutter speed, flash power, placement of camera/flash just keep messing around and you'll find out what you like and don't like and it's fun even if it is sometimes frustrating also don't forget you can also have the flash from above or below for different effects and also turning the flash away from you, bouncing the flash of the walls creates a vet soft light! Perfect for making skin look good! :)

michael kilner said:
bit dark for my taste,prefer no2

Yeah I was worried they might be a bit dark, I edited them on a laptop and not a great laptop I've had people mention to me before that contrast and colours are a little off I think it's the poor quality screen of the laptop! Thanks, dan.

dan00001 said:
Hahahaa! Thanks! And I wish lol! It is a lovely guitar! My first acoustic! I'd like a Martin or Taylor at some point their great guitars! I don't sorry I've been meaning to get some recording equipment, I'm nothing special though only been playing about a year and half, not too bad thought and love playing everyday! :D Ive been learning today a Song by "the lumineers" called "ho hey" AMAAAAZING song!! Check it out you have probebly heard it on a tv advert already :)

I played a Martin and Taylor for the first time at the weekend in a guitar store. I only played them for about 30 seconds each because I was in a rush; not enough to hear them properly. I'm not very good either, seems like a play and play but don't progress, ha.

I've not heard that song but I'll have a listen later on :)

I've just bought a blue yeti USB microphone, very good for the price!

Steven001 said:
I played a Martin and Taylor for the first time at the weekend in a guitar store. I only played them for about 30 seconds each because I was in a rush; not enough to hear them properly. I'm not very good either, seems like a play and play but don't progress, ha.

I've not heard that song but I'll have a listen later on :)

I've just bought a blue yeti USB microphone, very good for the price!

I feel like that sometimes! I find learning new things like I spent a few days learning some Jimi Hendrix solos on my strat and it seems to help the rest of my playing a little, on my acoustic I've recently been learning common finger picking patterns. I need to work on my voice and also playing around people I get nervous and start to rush and mess things up!

Thanks! I'll check that mic out! Dan.

I'll go against the grain and say the first is better.

Also, I've had a Taylor for around 6 years now - absolutely cracking guitar. Could practically go 3 months playing it every day without needing to tune it.

Lovely shots, i also play the guitar so i always appreciate a musical shot :) I am not very good though i recorded a little phone clip of me singing and playing and i sound about 15!

Lovely shots, i also play the guitar so i always appreciate a musical shot :) I am not very good though i recorded a little phone clip of me singing and playing and i sound about 15!

Thankyou! you should post it up for us to hear! :D im not amazing either but getting there! what kind of music do you like to play?

I just bash out anything on my acoustic, currently playing acoustic girlie versions of pearl jam songs and damien rice tonight. We are both guitar playing, DM wearing Nikon shooters! lol!

I just bash out anything on my acoustic, currently playing acoustic girlie versions of pearl jam songs and damien rice tonight. We are both guitar playing, DM wearing Nikon shooters! lol!

just checked out damien rice, sounds good! i love irish singers! love the song galway girl by steave earle :) hahhaaa thats awsume! We obviously like the finer things in life :D

Back